Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I just flashed the DVD drive in my G5 to make it region free. After researching I found out that to do this I needed to use my PC. So I moved the drive over and flashed it. I did receive one error message: something to the effect of "Error: original kernel still open!" I wasn't sure exactly what this meant or how to fix it so i put the drive back in my Mac. Now I can't open the drive.

"Why did you do that?" some of you may be asking. I buy a lot of DVD's that never have distribution here. To do this I needed a region free drive. I.E. flashing. I.E. I may have screwed up.

Anyhow, if anyone has a suggestion as to what is wrong please respond. It'd be greatly appreciated.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
you might have screwed up the firmware. does system profiler reconize it. also hold down your mouse during start up and see if you drive opens. if nothing opens it i would suggest putting it back in your pc and reflashing it. until then i would recommend doing a little bit more research before you do it, flashing stuff is usally a one time thing and you dont want to screw it up.

iJon

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I've never had an issue with flashing stuff in my PC before so I figured Mac would be no different. Anyhow, it's back in my PC and I think the issue is that the kernel is still open. I don't know how to close it though. Arg! Things shouldn't be this complicated.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well this really doesnt have anything to do with the mac. apple doesnt make the dvd drive. the fact is is that it messed up and now it wont work anymore. does the drive work in your pc just fine?

iJon

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Nope. Not yet. Again I think it has to do with the kernel being open. And the Apple comment wasn't meant to be slamming them or anything, just a note that they make it complicated to do firmware patching (or so I've read) thus forcing a user to move the drive to a PC. That's all I meant.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Apple doesn't make it difficult, its just that the firmware updaters are usually only released for PC, so the flashing programs weren't made to run on the Mac.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by mbuhmann
Nope. Not yet. Again I think it has to do with the kernel being open. And the Apple comment wasn't meant to be slamming them or anything, just a note that they make it complicated to do firmware patching (or so I've read) thus forcing a user to move the drive to a PC. That's all I meant.
wow, thats quite funny. firmware patching is easy on mac, just double click and let it do its thing. what you are doing is illegal and usually can be complicated if you dont know what you are doing, obviously that is your case. of course apple isnt going to let you set your computer to regoin free, are you crazy, its illegal (not that i care, just stating the facts.) and apple would get their asses handed to them.

iJon

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I fixed the problem if anyone is curious. Apparently Pioneer has a forced fallback firmware driver that installed and fixed the issue I was having. I managed to do the update at that point.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well thats good, at least the drive didnt get rendered useless.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.