Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasonMI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
What would be a fair price to pay for a used 16GB or 8GB 1st generation iphone which are locked to AT&T?

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Fair is in the pocketbook of the beholder, but I paid $150 for a brand new 8 gb, which was more luck than anything else.

I would not have paid more than $250 for an 8gb, and maybe $350 for a 16gb, those price points I considered fair when I was in the market for a 1st gen iPhone.

Jude

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Fair is in the pocketbook of the beholder, but I paid $150 for a brand new 8 gb, which was more luck than anything else.

I would not have paid more than $250 for an 8gb, and maybe $350 for a 16gb, those price points I considered fair when I was in the market for a 1st gen iPhone.

$150 is impressive... and yes, lucky.

Those $250-350 price points are fair in the sense that they're locked to AT&T's refurb prices (IIRC... I don't remember what the 16GB refurb price is), but I wouldn't call them fair market prices in the sense that official refurbs, particularly at the $250 price point, are rarely available and have sold out extremely quickly (typically same day). I'd say fair market is $250-300 for the 8GB iPhone, for some kind of sale mechanism that doesn't involve lots and lots of fees (i.e. I think even more is fair market reasonable on eBay purely because of how much in fees the seller must recoup).

macdim

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2007
Canada
Just sold my 1st gen iPhone for $275 and it had the bottom dead strip on the screen. I had it working but you had to press above the button you wanted to touch.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
i sold my 4gig iphone with a cracked screen on ebay for 175 dollars. I set a buy it now for that much and it was gone within 12 hours. I could have probably gotten more for it but wasnt sure how much it would be worth

born2win413

macrumors member
May 17, 2008
I'm about to sell my 16gb iPhone for $450, it's unlocked.

Now I have to wait until Friday or Saturday to get mine.

I figured it be like this.

$310 for 16gb BLACK iPhone
$70 first month's bill
$80 or less for Early Termination Fee hook up from my A&TT buddy

= $460 - $25 discount from referral from an AT&T member and possibly -$50 from first time A&TT subscriber. = grand total $390...

This is what I I have planned... :D

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA

$70 first month's bill
You also have to pay the bill for the second month. If you return in the first thirty days, you've gotta give the phone back. And I really doubt that you're gonna get a special cancellation fee from your friend. I'm also coming up dry when searching for that $50 discount that you mentioned... Don't forget taxes on your bills, either.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Well, i was thinking of selling my 8GB Unlocked jailbroken iPhone for about £200-£250, is that around about the normal price? there is nothing wrong with it, its been in a Tuffwrap phone case and had a screen protector on it since i have had it on xmas day.

I have to sell it in my home town area tho as i have an ebay account but i have never sold anything on there, so people wouldn't buy from me if i put it on there. :( Nevermind

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005

$70 first month's bill

= $460 - $25 discount from referral from an AT&T member and possibly -$50 from first time A&TT subscriber. = grand total $390...

This is what I I have planned... :D

Just wondering, why? Where do you plan on using this phone?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Well, i was thinking of selling my 8GB Unlocked jailbroken iPhone for about £200-£250, is that around about the normal price? there is nothing wrong with it, its been in a Tuffwrap phone case and had a screen protector on it since i have had it on xmas day.

I have to sell it in my home town area tho as i have an ebay account but i have never sold anything on there, so people wouldn't buy from me if i put it on there. :( Nevermind

I don't know if you'd be up for this, but I'd list it for you. I have a good feedback from buying and selling. PM me if you want to talk about it.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
hmmm.... why?

If you can get a new iphone for $199 next week, why would someone want to pay more for an old iphone??

I guess it would make sense for someone who only wanted to use it as a WI-FI Ipod without the phone... essentially a iPod Touch with a camera and speakerphone and version 2.0 apps (free).

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
If you can get a new iphone for $199 next week, why would someone want to pay more for an old iphone??

I guess it would make sense for someone who only wanted to use it as a WI-FI Ipod without the phone... essentially a iPod Touch with a camera and speakerphone and version 2.0 apps (free).

Unlocking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.