Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Totally innocuous and non-political comment:

Is this sort of hobby expensive? It seems like it would be. And how did you folks get into guns? I personally think firearms are rather interesting and would love to go to a range one day or even own a pistol, but I think just being within 5 feet of one would probably scare the bejeebers outta me. Were you folks just brought up with guns in your family or did you take the initiative to try them yourself?

Just curious. *Hands up* ;)

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006

Is this sort of hobby expensive? It seems like it would be. And how did you folks get into guns? I personally think firearms are rather interesting and would love to go to a range one day or even own a pistol, but I think just being within 5 feet of one would probably scare the bejeebers outta me. Were you folks just brought up with guns in your family or did you take the initiative to try them yourself?

Yes this hobby can be as expensive as you want it. Just like any other hobby: photography, audiophile stuff, computers, etc, equipment costs money. Aside from the initial investment of the firearms, cleaning and safety equipment and so on, probably the most expensive aspect is feeding your firearms with ammunition. This cost can be lowered somewhat if you reload your own ammunition.

I guess I was somewhat raised around guns, and I have always loved target shooting and marksmanship, so it was just natural that I started my own collection when I was of age. I also must admit that I like the ability to defend myself if something goes seriously wrong, instead of having to dial 911 and hope that help arrives in time.

You should really give shooting a chance if you are interested in it, and if you are able. You should have someone teach you the four basic gun safety rules before your first range outing, along with familiarization with whatever firearm you will be using. This will hopefully help eliminate any uneasiness you might have. I recommend starting out with a .22 caliber gun, as it has almost no recoil and is easy to learn on.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008

Scroll up and you will see 3 pictures of my firearms 1. Cost $2500 2. $750 3. $850. And that's only 3 of my firearms, yes it can be very expensive, but it's also very rewarding just as buying a new Mac, or a new car would be for someone else. It's fun to go to the range and shoot targets, and although it may not be for everyone, it's nice to know that you are able to protect yourself, and your family.

Personally, I hunted as a kid, then I joined the U.S. Army, and that brought me into the realm of "military" style rifles / sidearms.

And it may startle you the first time you ever shoot a gun, but I think you'd find that it's a pretty pleasurable experience once you got over the fear of shooting it. I've taken people who are anti-gun to the range, and by the end of the day they are asking me where they can purchase one.

Beware though, it's just as big of an addiction as Macs, even more probably.

Hope this helps. :D

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
With firearms, money doesn't always equate fun.

Mosin Nagant for ~ $80.00 USD.

Box of 7.62 x 54r ammo with no clear label or markings, and is at least double your age. $10.00.

The fireball that erupts from the muzzle and then using a 2x4 to "assist" a stuck bolt: Priceless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
Your post is full of ignorance, apparently you've never heard of long range target shooting or this nifty thing called hunting.

- snip -

I think firearms are cool, but I do have a question for you. That rifle looks like a PSG-1. I can see it being used for long range target shooting (or sniping :eek:), but as a hunting rifle, don't you think it takes the "sport" out of it?

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I think firearms are cool, but I do have a question for you. That rifle looks like a PSG-1. I can see it being used for long range target shooting (or sniping :eek:), but as a hunting rifle, don't you think it takes the "sport" out of it?

Good question, actually it's a AR-variant chambered in 7.62x51 (aka: .308), it's not any different than your run of the mill bolt action rifle with a high powered scope on it, except for the fact that it has higher capacity magazines, and in my state, *if* I were to go hunting I would have to use a 5 round magazine, as that is the maximum you have while hunting.

Hopefully that clears it up for you a little bit.

Here's another one of mine:

stainlessten2.jpg

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
picture from today

IMG_3410.jpg

The top two targets are five shot groups that I shot offhand, and the bottom two targets were shot using a rest. The distance was a little less than 50 feet.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

It is pricy, but they tend to keep their value more then other things, such as computers or camera bodies. Also, its good to know that if the King of England were to ever come over here - he will not be pushing me or my family around - NO SIR!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
the Israeli Desert Eagle is my favorite :D

30988138.1161629_IMGPS.jpg

does anyone here own one of these?? (the one on the left)

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Have you heard of the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) I served 3 years in the IDF Paratroops and 2 years after my military service as a Sky Marshall for EL AL, so I suspect that I probably know as much or more about weapons than many.

I have a dislike for people who hunt for sport. Killing animals with high powered weapons is not hunting and its certainly not a sport. I'm no PETA person, but killing an animal long distance through a scope is cowardly.

Your post is full of ignorance, apparently you've never heard of long range target shooting or this nifty thing called hunting.

- snip -

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
My two favorite websites.... MacRumors.com & AR15.com

Here's some of mine....

Glock 17 and my trusty bushmaster ar15. I also have a kimber 1911 and a benelli super black eagle but i don't feel like taking pictures right now.

Attachments

• 100_1251.jpg
    100_1251.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_1249.jpg
    100_1249.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_1248.jpg
    100_1248.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 358
  • 100_0259.jpg
    100_0259.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 389

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Damn....some of you guys have some heavy stuff...I would love one of these. I just have some pellet guns, 2 pistols and a Hunter "22". It shoots 1200FPS...not bad for a pellet. Gets good range. I wish I could get some serious guns, but in NJ its almost impossible to buy a gun without waiting like 3 years and going through a course.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Damn....some of you guys have some heavy stuff...I would love one of these. I just have some pellet guns, 2 pistols and a Hunter "22". It shoots 1200FPS...not bad for a pellet. Gets good range. I wish I could get some serious guns, but in NJ its almost impossible to buy a gun without waiting like 3 years and going through a course.

So, it's still do-able.

Get busy. :cool:

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
2008 Springfield Armory Tactical XD-45 w/Thumb Safety
Remington 870 Express
dc587322.jpg

DSCN0964.jpg

Might i ask why even bother with a thumb safety? I mean you already have a trigger and a back-strap safety. it's like having a 1911 that still has a long DA pull. anywho it's still a bad a$$ gun.

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
I have a bunch of guns, but I'm not really into them. It's just a bunch of stuff my dad gave me. A couple good pieces that mean something and a large pile of "other" that doesn't. These are my favs.

Colt .45 circa 1875 - I love shooting this pistol.
PA300001.jpg

S&W .38 Special that he carried when he was a policeman.
PA300008.jpg

fazox

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2007
Might i ask why even bother with a thumb safety? I mean you already have a trigger and a back-strap safety. it's like having a 1911 that still has a long DA pull. anywho it's still a bad a$$ gun.
Springfield Armory added the thumb safety for the trials where the military was looking for a .45 ACP pistol to replace the Beretta M9. After the trials were cancelled they decided to add it as an option.

jonathan92

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
los angeles
i have a very small collection compared to u guys but here it is:

Attachments

• angle_left_side.jpg
    angle_left_side.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 12,604
  • Beretta92FS.jpg
    Beretta92FS.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Moss500.jpg
    Moss500.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 459
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.