Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I'm going off to college and i wanted to get all my dvd collections onto an external hdd. i know of mactheripper but i wanna be able to rip it, in case there's a big screen for everyone to enjoy on.

so how would i be able to create a .iso or anything that i can burn onto a dvd later? thx much

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
On a Mac, you'll probably want an .img or .dmg file, as opposed to a .iso.

You need a program to take the ripped movie, compress it, then make a disc image. DVD2OneX does both those steps. It's worth the money. Use Mactheripper to rip the movie to your hard drive, then d2ox to compress it and save it as a .img file (or maybe it does .dmg). Then, whenever you want to burn it to a DVD, just use Disk Utility.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
I agree with Dimwit, Mactheripper to DVD2OneX is a great combo. But just as a side note, you can watch the DVD after ripped by mactheripper just "as is". It'll rip the video_TS and audio_TS folders which you can play in apple DVD. Only downside is the file will most likely be huge (like 8 gigs depending on dvd). That's where DVD2OneX comes in, to compress it to fit on 4.7 gig DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.