Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nusynergy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Kent - UK
Commonly, a GPU will produce screen artifacts before dying completely. A game exhibiting flashes, specs or bright colored anomalies is either the result of a driver related issue or (more likely) a defective GPU. Usually the problem worsens as the temp rises, but not always.

And about the GPU temps. Most graphic chips run hot, and are *supposed* to operate fine at such temps (80-100c). This isn't a guess, it's published information. A MBP becoming burning hot under load is not necessarily a symptom of a defective product. The problem is that nVidia's chips are not living up to their specs.

Great.. This is what's happening with mine.I think i need to give apple a call.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
If there's a problem, Apple will extend warranty to cover it. There will be a class action law suite in the States, etc and no-one will lose out. Don't sell a perfectly good laptop which may not have anything wrong with it on eBay for no good reason! :eek:

iCries

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
either way the 3870 mobility is 3 times better than the 8600GT and it doesnt get as hot, and is generally the most logical step for apple to go towards, I wont give apple a dime if they use a nvidia 9600gt or something similar, its either the ProWay or the highway.

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
So all home owners with roofs are screwed?!?

OH MY GOD! I've just realised that it's *possible* that a metor might fall to earth and destroy my house - I just had to have my house put on the market so that I can try and sell it before anyone else finds out!

DAMN!

gr8bob

macrumors regular
May 16, 2008
i have a 2.2Ghz MBP with 8600GT 128mb vram. I haven't found anything wrong with my baby. What are the symptoms of a defective card?

intermittent system freeze (applications stopped responding, mouse still working or with the spinning beachball), graphic texture corruption, NVChannel(GL) errors pops up in the system log (I discovered that these errors are erased eventually. Conspiracy? :rolleyes: ), application crashes related to the GeForce8x00.kext/CoreVideo/CoreImage.. and more to come :rolleyes:

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Just wondering, but how reputable is The Inquirer? I never really heard of them before

And about the GPU temps. Most graphic chips run hot, and are *supposed* to operate fine at such temps (80-100c). This isn't a guess, it's published information. A MBP becoming burning hot under load is not necessarily a symptom of a defective product. The problem is that nVidia's chips are not living up to their specs.

Holy crap, 80c - 100c is normal??? If that much heat can boil water, wouldn't that do horrible things to the notebook? Wow.

If the nVidia defects are the reason why MBPs run so hot , this really discourages me; I finally have enough money saved to buy a MBP but now I'm not sure I want a machine that is known to run hot just because of a defect.

Sheesh, MBPs have been using nVidia 8600 cards for forever.. how long it take them to find..? *sigh* :( Or if it's a coverup like the article said, that's incredibly depressing. Makes me angry hearing about that.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
actually nvidia confirmed it yesterday, and as far as I understood it, its the latest revisions of the 8600GTs who are faulty, not the old 128mb ones, if I understood it right.

No, that's exactly the one that died on me after 8 months of heavy heavy gaming usage. I'll be doing the same thing to my 512 on the motherboard they replaced it with and I just bought 3 year Applecare. Looks like I'll be getting a newer laptop for free sometime down the road.

iCries

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
No, that's exactly the one that died on me after 8 months of heavy heavy gaming usage. I'll be doing the same thing to my 512 on the motherboard they replaced it with and I just bought 3 year Applecare. Looks like I'll be getting a newer laptop for free sometime down the road.

Its all fun and games for you then I guess. :p

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
This whole thing is a bit of a disappointment. I'm hoping that Apple will [eventually] step up and do something about it (extend warranty, etc.), but on the other hand I can't really afford downtime when this is my only computer. The nagging doubt! The multiple backups!

iCries

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Yeah, with new problems!

Blasphemy... well, I rather have a computer that actually is worth its price tag having these problems, than a cheap outdated computer which is sold for twice the price of the industry standard.

And if Apple plays it smart with the new modell i doubt we will kill our future children when we sit with the lappie in the lap. Any other problems but that sir.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Its all fun and games for you then I guess. :p

haha, well, in between the gaming, I use it for my work (these days it's the other way around).

All kidding aside, it's incredibly frustrating and a very big issue to be without my computer. If this one were to die around finals, i'd be screwed.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
OH MY GOD! I've just realised that it's *possible* that a metor might fall to earth and destroy my house - I just had to have my house put on the market so that I can try and sell it before anyone else finds out!

DAMN!

lol, you make my day.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
I'm not gonna let it bother me. I got my MBP last week, so i have the opportunity to send it back but i'm not.

If it goes wrong then Apple will fix under warranty and i'm sure i'll be a corrected version rather than them putting the faulty batch back in.

Guilfox

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2007
Hopefully not too off topic but.........

How can Apple and while we at it Dell, Asus, Acer, HP etc continue to sell hardware we now know is faulty?

Surley it shouldn't be possible to buy any device with an NVIDIA 84xx or 86xx card now NVIDIA have annouced that these cards are defective.

buyusfear

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Ok so they're bad, untill it's official I'm not gunna stress too much. However if it is, what will happen? Will the thing just die, melt, explode, act funny?
And if it is the case, why is everyone in a panic to sell off their machine, will Apple not replace the cards or fix the problem?

team 79 krunch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I am looking into a MBP with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT new from apple, I can wait until November at the latest, what should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.