Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Once again, digging through Apple's XML files has revealed the url to the iPhone 2.0 Firmware that is presently available on Apple's servers. The firmware image has a filename of:

link removed

This build is slightly higher than the one of the latest iPhone Firmware Beta (5A345) which was also spotted on shipping iPhone 3Gs. Despite the filename appearing in the XML file, the actual firmware has not yet been released officially. As well, the firmware carriers a "1,2" designation while all previous firmwares, including the beta firmwares carried a "1,1" number.

Apple has posted an updated guide about firmware upgrades and warns:
Normally if you choose to update, the iPhone or iPod touch software is updated but your settings and media are not affected. If your device currently has a software version prior to 2.0 (1.x) and you are updating to software version 2.0 or later, all data on your device will be erased in order to perform install the new software. In this case, iTunes will offer to create a one-time media backup of your device depending on what content is on your device and what content is stored in the iTunes Library you are connected to. You should ensure that you have enough free space on your Mac or PC to accommodate a backup that matches the capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch (4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB) if you proceed with the this backup.
In order to install the firmware, you will have to do it manually by pressing the Option key when pressing the "Check for Update" button in iTunes.

We expect the firmware to be officially released shortly and will appear in your iTunes software update. If you don't wish to wait, you can use this method, but should proceed with caution.

Article Link

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Interesting ... I would expect this to be available late today or early tomorrow.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
It almost feels like opening all of your presents on Christmas morning before everyone else is up... maybe I'm just thinking that because everyone else in my house is asleep. ;)

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
There are mutters that this could be 3G or beta only. If anyone succeeds in applying update please post.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
It almost feels like opening all of your presents on Christmas morning before everyone else is up... maybe I'm just thinking that because everyone else in my house is asleep. ;)

Dude, your family is lazy. It's 8:15am in Peoria! On a Thursday!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Downloading now, will try on my iPod Touch. The info mentions the Touch and iPhone together - maybe the firmware is now the same as well ... ?

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I was going to try during lunch, but I think I'll wait for half a day for the real deal to come through iTunes with no hoop-jumping.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, i certainly wait a week or so for the guinea pigs to find the bugs. and with mobileme being aehm.. as bad as .mac i'm not in a hurry to update anyway.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
HA HA HA HA! I beat arn to it! I posted the file before he posted this. This is certainly a good feeling. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.