Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Apple has issued a press release regarding the U.S. launch of the iPhone 3G tomorrow. Near the end of the release, there is a section called "Availability", which contained the following information.

Apple Press Release said:
The App Store will be available beginning today [June 10] via iTunes 7.7 and part of the free iPhone 2.0 software update for all iPhone customers on July 11. iPhone 2.0 is also available for iPod touch users for $9.95.

So it appears the rumors were referring to the release of the App Store only, not the release of the new software. We shall wait one more day :apple:

EDIT: If the press release wasn't enough to seal the deal for you, this should do it.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I put the 2.0 firmware on my phone this morning and I'm trying to get AIM now and it says its not able to purchase the software.... at least the appstore works on the phone now.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I put the 2.0 firmware on my phone this morning and I'm trying to get AIM now and it says its not able to purchase the software.... at least the appstore works on the phone now.

I got aim working on mine. Got 4 apps, facebook and aim for free. Purchased supermonkey ball on iTunes, purchased bomberman on device. Both work fine.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
It's clear, as people are pointing out, that if you have an iPhone, it is possible for you to get the update right now, but it is not official and some people are supposedly having trouble with it. Better to just wait another day and guarantee a smooth transition to the new software :) Besides, this method of getting the software on the iPhone is also for the iPhone only, it definently won't work if tried on a Touch.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
It is out now. Final, official, GM, whatever you want to call it. Just remember if you are upgrading from 1.1.4, do not use the "update" function, completely wipe and restore your phone without using the 'backup and restore preferences,' otherwise all of you old preferences will be copied back over the new 2.0 files and cause all sorts of quirks and bizarre behavior (this happened to me with the 5a345 B8 firmware).

Alan Taylor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
Mississauga
It is out now. Final, official, GM, whatever you want to call it. Just remember if you are upgrading from 1.1.4, do not use the "update" function, completely wipe and restore your phone without using the 'backup and restore preferences,' otherwise all of you old preferences will be copied back over the new 2.0 files and cause all sorts of quirks and bizarre behavior (this happened to me with the 5a345 B8 firmware).

So we would loose all of our SMS conversations? I'd rather not :/

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
There is only one Software 2.0. Unless Apple lied to us.

Well the two softwares wouldn't be the same, because 2.0 needs to support phone features for the iPhone. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure there are some differences.

But regardless, it costs $10 to get the one for the Touch. Therefore, this method would not work.

MattGTO

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas
I guess this is gonna be running for a while...I needed something specific :D

noname2rp3.jpg

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
It's clear, as people are pointing out, that if you have an iPhone, it is possible for you to get the update right now, but it is not official and some people are supposedly having trouble with it. Better to just wait another day and guarantee a smooth transition to the new software :) Besides, this method of getting the software on the iPhone is also for the iPhone only, it definently won't work if tried on a Touch.

The only trouble I've seen being reported is people not knowing how to update it using the manual method because they don't read the information people have posted. Other than that..it works great.

I upgraded with no problems whatsoever.

mitchellr1705

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Could be out today!!

New Zealand goes on sale tonight for us so maybe that relates to some people in the world AND us

velvetelvis

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
installed and running. gonna go play some super monkey ball now...

oh, and bother my wife with saber sounds...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.