Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Is there any way to remove icons from the iPhone home Page? I would dearly love to get rid of You Tube from my phone.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Draw over it with a Sharpie.

Sharpie%20Marker%20Fine%20Black.jpg

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
If I could, I'd get rid of the "Stocks" button. I guess I'm a little OCD about it, but I'd like to delete the stocks button.

Also, while we're at it, maybe make the weather icon show the currently updated temperature, instead of always 73. (Or is this already possible and I'm just missing something?) :eek:

dillby777

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
to remove icons from the springboard you can use customize but if its an application like stocks or weather that you know your not going to use there is a way to remove it for good or until you do a restore.
this works for any other app that you want to remove
to remove them you'll need to have a jailbroken iphone
SSH in to the phone with your fav software i use WinSCP (a lot of tutorials recommend it.)
browse to /private/var/Applications
this is where all of the applications are saved
all you need to do is delete the folder for stocks, weather, the itunes store = mobilestore.app.
and you done it they don't disappear from the springboard restart the phone

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
If you are just on regular 1.1.3 you can drag the icons you use over to a new page, and then they are out of view unless you really want to access them.

Philpo

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
I use a handy little App called poof from installer. It enables you to hide or show any icon you wish :) Hope this helps. ;)

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
yes just move all the icons you dont like to the second screen, then your main screen is nice and tidy.

not sure why anyone would get rid of the stocks icon, its the only native app of any genuine use in the real world.

lordgaino

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
and definately have the icons as autoupdating -so the weather icon always is the current weather forecast and temp.

that would be sweet.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I have three front screens, one with phone apps, the second screen with webclips and third screen apps I don't use i.e. stocks.

golf2day

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
How to remove unwanted iphone startup screen icons

Hold your finger on the icon you wish to delete (for at least 3 seconds) until all the icons start shaking like an earthquake. You then have the option to delete the ones that you have added by clicking the X to delete. Those you can delete will have an X on the top left corner of the icon that will allow you to delete that icon by touching it. (Jailbroken iphone 1st edition)

Good Luck.:rolleyes:

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Hold your finger on the icon you wish to delete (for at least 3 seconds) until all the icons start shaking like an earthquake. You then have the option to delete the ones that you have added by clicking the X to delete.

He wanted YouTube gone. Not a webapp.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I second that. I can't believe Apple would have the audacity to add these things. I mean, what were they thinking!? :D

14950486bn5.jpg

my sister's friend's boyfriend's brother-in-law works at an apple store.. he said these were coming FIRST WEEK OF MARCH confirmed!

rocktalent

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
Hold your finger on the icon you wish to delete (for at least 3 seconds) until all the icons start shaking like an earthquake. You then have the option to delete the ones that you have added by clicking the X to delete.

:D Thanks tha was Great Help...:apple:

pooponyou

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
i can't believe it took 17 posts before someone actually answered the persons question. aren't forums supposed to be about help? seems like there is way too many "comedians" on here.....douches..

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
i can't believe it took 17 posts before someone actually answered the persons question. aren't forums supposed to be about help? seems like there is way too many "comedians" on here.....douches..

If you were following the basic mood of the thread and had any reading comprehension ability, you would have seen that it was light-hearted, with the poster even joining in on a joke and not re-asking his question. It was answered within 15 minutes, stop getting your pants in a bunch.

EDIT: damnit, you resurrected this post just to say that? The original post is like a year old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.