Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Somewhere near Philadelphia
Yep. And I thought it was just because I put Panther on my Dual 2ghz PowerMac. Took it to the Apple Store and they said one of the processors was bad. Called today and they said the replaced it, but the machine is still busted and they will replace it again. Fun stuff.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
The number of problems i see with G5s is insane. Especially with DUALs.
Seems to me like every 1 out 4 G5 owners have some sort of a problem with it. I for example have a problem of fkin monitor not turning on when starting a comp. So I called them today, but the guy was nice about it and said to try a few things and if they don't fix it, apple will send me another video card free of charge. But I heard some true horror stories of some people dealing with applecare. So far to my experience they have been up to my expectations.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Weird problem, but they happen. Better than my first G4, which just didn't have a 2nd processor (that was the store I ordered it from's fault, although it's a good thing I was savy enough to notice).

And I don't think it's necessarily accurate to assume that 25% of all G5s have problems--remember that people with problems are far more likely to mention them than people without any. Besides, it's a 100% new computer--completely new motherboard, completely new processor, completely new 64 bit architecture, completely new subsystems, completely new case design idiom--so there's a few more kinks than usual to be expected. Mine works perfectly save a whiny Radeon 9800 fan, but that's not Apple's fault.

I don't think Apple has had a computer with that much new in it since the PPC line first debuted (maybe the first G3s with the new world ROMs, though the case was the same as the previous gen and I don't think the switch to G3 processors was nearly as big a jump).

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Damn, that sucks. I hope they get it fixed soon. As far as the 9800 goes, I know what you mean, my friend has one in his PC and it is *loud* although I heard that ATi updated them with a bigger heat sink and a quieter fan because of all the bad press they got with the noise.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
As far as the 9800 goes, I know what you mean, my friend has one in his PC and it is *loud* although I heard that ATi updated them with a bigger heat sink and a quieter fan because of all the bad press they got with the noise.
That would probably be the 9800 XT series--just a bit faster, but it's got a massive fan and heat sink. It's ostensibly to make it easier to overclock, but I'm willing to bet it'll also lower the noise level.

Too bad the XTs aren't available for the Mac, though (and aren't all that likely to be, judging by the way ATI drags its feet about Mac versions of its cards).

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
It's been my experience that most of the time, if there's a problem with AppleCare, it's the users problem. AppleCare techs, nearly all of them, do a damn fine job of dealing with people who are always upset. It takes a lot to tell people that there's a problem with their computer, or that they need to send it away to be fixed. It ain't an easy job, cut them some slack.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Originally posted by LimeLite
It's been my experience that most of the time, if there's a problem with AppleCare, it's the users problem. AppleCare techs, nearly all of them, do a damn fine job of dealing with people who are always upset. It takes a lot to tell people that there's a problem with their computer, or that they need to send it away to be fixed. It ain't an easy job, cut them some slack.

Not all reps are patient nor all callers are...
But people also pay big bucks for apple comps and warranty apple include is at most medicore. 90 days phone support?
And cmon, one thing is being rude and another thing is being upset. After all, they get paid to deal with angry customers, and frankly, we are the ones paying them...
Personally, I don't have any complaints yet, so far I had good experience dealing with apple care.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
They really didn't say. They did say something about a "power unit" and "fans" when I called to check the status yesterday. But if it's not fixed by the end of today, I'm driving out to the store to see what the story is.

BicyclePunk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2002
Well, I got the machine back. They had to replace both processors. Nuts. The machine still won't go to sleep under the paramaters set forth in Energy Saver, but at least I'm still back on the beast. Wish I knew why it went down in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.