Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The craziest thing is happening with my iMac. Every website I visit that is international, seems to always direct me to UK technical support or information (like Apple.Com & Powershot.Com). I'm in the US, and I can't figure out why this keeps happening. Also, lately software I have tried to install has always highlighted that i'm in UK/Japan, and I have to choose the bullet that says North America/United States, etc. I can't figure this out, in my international preference panel I'm set to US dollars/US Region/etc. Anyone have any ideas?

wr0x2

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Have you done anything unusual lately? The web redirect thing sounds like an ISP issue, although everything else is definatly on your system. Try to think of anything you've installed lately that might be doing this.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Re: My Computer Thinks I'm In the UK

Originally posted by joshuawaire
The craziest thing is happening with my iMac. Every website I visit that is international, seems to always direct me to UK technical support or information (like Apple.Com & Powershot.Com). I'm in the US, and I can't figure out why this keeps happening. Also, lately software I have tried to install has always highlighted that i'm in UK/Japan, and I have to choose the bullet that says North America/United States, etc. I can't figure this out, in my international preference panel I'm set to US dollars/US Region/etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Computers are generally right. Therefore you are probably not in the US.

:p

Did you buy the iMac from somebody overseas? I dunno if the "region" is hardcoded into the machine or not. Although I doubt the website could even access that. It's probably an issue with your ISP more so than with your Mac. I'd contact your ISP and nicely ask them to look into the situation. It may very well not be there fault. But I know a lot of "web tracking" software tries to determine the location of the visitors. The code may just be determining you're somewhere you're not... ask the ISP tech support to check a specific site that you are having a problem with. If you're having the problem, they will probably have it to if it's their issue.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
1) check your cookies. a lot of preferences are stored there.

2) is your system set to the U.S.? change "international" and "date&time" in sys. pref. back to normal places..?

i'd imagine wiping your cookies may solve some of the problems...

for others, i don't know how to deal with it, but your OS must have been installed as to be used in the U.K. i noticed that when i started up my new eMac, it asked for locality. (this was independent of later adjustments in internationalization... you could be a Japanese speaker living in the U.S., like me. the correct thing to do was install panther with locality U.S. then adjust your language setting to primarily Japanese. if you install panther with locality Japan, then the machine will think it's physically in Japan...) i know clean install should get rid of this problem, but there must be another way without wiping your entire drive... so if you contact your ISP and there's nothing wrong, i'd go look around in Apple Knowledge base..

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Even though I have my "region" set to Australia (because there's no option for NZ :mad: ), it thinks I'm in the UK because I've selected British English as my language. Check what your language is set to.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
have you checked your own individual address card entry
you can use that to auto-fill forms so maybe the website is somehow accessing it...
not likely, but worth a try
reality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.