Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
did anyone find a good english dictionary app? i found CheckWord, but that doesnt have definitions, forms of the word, etc. I looked in Productivity, Reference, and Utilities, but found nothing (even for pay). thanks for your help

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm kind of shocked Apple didn't include their Dictionary app. Whatebout other Dashboard basics, like Unit Converter or Translation?

Andrew07

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
There's an "English Dictionary and Thesaurus b..." but the link to it in iTunes doesn't work

You CAN buy it however. It's 14.7 MB, while Apple's 'Dictionary' in Leopard is 10.4MB. Don't know how much that matters, though

Lee Fyock

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
eReader

You can download eReader from the AppStore, buy a big Merriam-Webster dictionary from ereader.com, and be all set. It's mainly intended to look up words while you're reading a book, but you can use the dictionary standalone as well.

Disclaimer: I was one of the developers of eReader for iPhone and previous incarnations.

I haven't tested eReader on iPhone with the M-W 3rd Unabridged dictionary.

jds4300

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Uploading eBooks to eReader

Can someone instruct me on how to upload eBooks to eReader app? Will do so on a Macbook to iPhone. Thank you!

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
I too am disappointed by the lack of dictionary. It would have been SO easy for Apple to port their OSX dictionary to the iPhone. Really disappointing. And I'm not about to spend £18 for a 3rd party app - Especially when I don't know whether it's any good.

Lee Fyock

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Can someone instruct me on how to upload eBooks to eReader app? Will do so on a Macbook to iPhone. Thank you!

In eReader, tap the + button in the Bookshelf, enter your ereader.com info, then tap the book titles to download them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.