Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW transfers of apps to their iPhones ... ? I just got my iPhone 3G and I'm syncing it up now (well, again actually - I already had to restore it!) and it has been about twenty minutes now but I'm still not done syncing the 10 or so apps I've downloaded/bought.

What gives? Is it supposed to take this friggin' long?

jordskee

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW transfers of apps to their iPhones ... ? I just got my iPhone 3G and I'm syncing it up now (well, again actually - I already had to restore it!) and it has been about twenty minutes now but I'm still not done syncing the 10 or so apps I've downloaded/bought.

probably cause it has to install on the phone

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
probably cause it has to install on the phone
Looked quick enough in the walkthrough video. And it didn't seem to take any time at all when using Installer on my old JB'd iPod Touch ... :confused:

Actually, I think it's a problem with the 2.0 software, iTunes 7.7, the iPhone 3G, or maybe all three combined - transfers are taking FOREVER. Now that I've finally finished transferring my apps, I unplugged the phone and changed some settings. Then I re-connected to my iMac - iTunes now says "Backing up iPhone" and it's about 50% done. But it has been 'backing up' for about twenty minutes. TWENTY. MINUTES. The only thing on my iPhone are my apps - I haven't sync'd anything else yet - my total used space is less than 750MB. Twenty minutes to do less than 400MB of backup???? Something's wrong here.

robbiekins

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Looked quick enough in the walkthrough video. And it didn't seem to take any time at all when using Installer on my old JB'd iPod Touch ... :confused:

Actually, I think it's a problem with the 2.0 software, iTunes 7.7, the iPhone 3G, or maybe all three combined - transfers are taking FOREVER. Now that I've finally finished transferring my apps, I unplugged the phone and changed some settings. Then I re-connected to my iMac - iTunes now says "Backing up iPhone" and it's about 50% done. But it has been 'backing up' for about twenty minutes. TWENTY. MINUTES. The only thing on my iPhone are my apps - I haven't sync'd anything else yet - my total used space is less than 750MB. Twenty minutes to do less than 400MB of backup???? Something's wrong here.

I've noticed that every time I add new apps iTunes insists on making a backup of my phone. Don't know if it did this previously, but if it did, it was really quick and unnoticeable. I suppose it's for the best, but it certainly does eat up time.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've noticed that every time I add new apps iTunes insists on making a backup of my phone. Don't know if it did this previously, but if it did, it was really quick and unnoticeable. I suppose it's for the best, but it certainly does eat up time.
Yeah? Well, I just added an app using the App Store icon on the phone. The phone then froze as the app (Shazam) was downloading. I'm now performing my second restore on a four-hour-old iPhone. I'm not too pleased. :mad:

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008

Hi, backups aren't worth it. While it is backing up just press the small X button next to where it says "backing up", this'll cancel the backup and then it'll sync your music and videos etc for you.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hi, backups aren't worth it. While it is backing up just press the small X button next to where it says "backing up", this'll cancel the backup and then it'll sync your music and videos etc for you.

Thanks!! I'll try this next time I sync - I'm transferring about 10GB of music ATM, and I shudder to think how long THAT will take to backup. ;)

Thanks again.

ballen420

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2008
South of Boston
I believe it's an issue with 7.7. I'm having the same issue with 2.0 software and a 1G phone. I read on another post someone having the issue with 1.1.4 software on a 1G phone using 7.7.

Seems to be an iTunes issue that will hopefully be resolved ASAP!

inceebee

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I second this

I'll second the slow backups. I've got a 1st Gen phone with 2.0 on it. The slowness seems to be random. It doesn't happen all of the time. I thought it was whenever I had downloaded or removed an app directly on my phone. Now it looks like that's not it. I can't figure out what the trigger is, but it's really annoying.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
mine is not running slow...seems to be the same pace whether i do it from my phone or through itunes...but with itunes u have to do that extra step of syncing.....just do it through ya phone

passingXstorm

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
mine is not running slow...seems to be the same pace whether i do it from my phone or through itunes...but with itunes u have to do that extra step of syncing.....just do it through ya phone

I almost have to download apps on my computer, no wifi at home (we're old school) and 2 bars of EDGE is really slow. LOL

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
What is going on at Apple?

First the MobileMe rollout fiasco, then 3G activation issues, now this?

Did nobody test this, or think of real world usage?

Also, my mail settings became corrupt after the 2.0 upgrade and mail wouldn't launch - the fix? Restore without a backup. Lost my favorites, SMS, etc. But mail works. There's a LOT that's half assed about the iPhone 2.0 upgrade, 3g rollout, and mobileme rollout.

Do i REALLY need to backup everything and re-upload every app because I decided to changed from "most recent" to "2 most recent" podcasts? C'mon Apple!

I'm ashamed to be one of those people that brags about Apple products, then have to face this!

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
It is long but it isn't THAT BAD. Thing needs to install and takes at worst 3-4 minutes. I downloaded 4-5 apps today and transferred them over and it only took 5 minutes total for them to install and sync

smpaudio

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Slow Transfers

I admit I'm an app addict, and have about 30 apps or so- my backups take about an HOUR. Ack. I almost always hit the "skip" X. I used to think that if I let it go, the next one would be fast. But nope. The backups are all slow, always.

I was really hoping 2.0.1 was going to change that- oops, minor oversight, sorry mate. Given all these mail outages and the MobileMe problems, you gotta wonder what exactly is the deal.

There is a thread at Apple about this same issue:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7723096
hopefully Apple will see it and address it.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Apps used to take forever to install for me and would often crash even on 2.0.1 but in the last few days (maybe a week or so even) they have been pretty snappy so I'm wondering if they tweaked something server side maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.