Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I am curious if anyone thinks this new remote app will move the ATV closer to being a whole house music solution. I currently have the ATV but use Sonos as my whole house music solution as I don't want to be tied to turning the tv on to listen to music and I don't want a receiver in each room. While I still don't think the ATV is stable enough in general, the new remote app at least seems to eliminate the need to have the TV on to listen to music. Any other thoughts?

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
I am curious if anyone thinks this new remote app will move the ATV closer to being a whole house music solution. I currently have the ATV but use Sonos as my whole house music solution as I don't want to be tied to turning the tv on to listen to music and I don't want a receiver in each room. While I still don't think the ATV is stable enough in general, the new remote app at least seems to eliminate the need to have the TV on to listen to music. Any other thoughts?

I don't know what kind of setup you have but it sounds like you could pick up a couple Airport Express's to put around your house. The you can use the iphone remote & itunes to push music to all locations. Very cool indeed.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I don't know what kind of setup you have but it sounds like you could pick up a couple Airport Express's to put around your house. The you can use the iphone remote & itunes to push music to all locations. Very cool indeed.
Wouldnt' that require a stereo/receiver in each room as opposed to just speakers?

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
it just requires amplified (powered) speakers - just like sonos...

Aha, that's the catch. Sonos has two units, one just connect to a receiver, one is a receiver and doesn't require powered speakers. If you are willing to use powered speakers, though, the remote App would appear to be a home run?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have the older version of the Airport Express. It never really worked all that well with the older Itunes, but I'm willing to try it again with the latest do you think it should work? All I have to do is plug it into an electric outlet and run a mini out to powered speakers correct?

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
I have the older version of the Airport Express. It never really worked all that well with the older Itunes, but I'm willing to try it again with the latest do you think it should work? All I have to do is plug it into an electric outlet and run a mini out to powered speakers correct?

That should do it. Then, in iTunes you have the popup in the bottom right of the window to select which units get the audio... In the Remote.app you can toggle on/off switches for each AirTunes unit (Airport Express / :apple:TV / etc...) that you want to use.

I haven't used an Airport Express, but using my :apple:TV works just fine that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.