Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
maybe its not a defect and all 3G phones have yellow screens... crappy screens to cut the price?

Come on. It's one thing to use a crappier screen (and I don't believe they did). It's another to get a screen with a yellow tint. A yellow tint would be considered a defect even on the cheapest, crappiest phone.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
unfortunately since the iphone was released in Europe the screens have got worse.

Just look at the original iPhone guides tour video and compare it to the new one- its obvious the screens are cheaper and yellow!

I had a good complain at apple about this and executive corp relations replaced my phone a few times but they were all worse than the original us screens! In the end apple told me the screens were within spec and gave me a stick of ram as a good will gesture.

Some of the screens I had were more yellow than each other so there are varying levels and also my new 3G also has dead pixels. I will get it swapped when stock is higher as dead pixels on a phone apple will swap!

But really as far as the colour goes there is nothing you can do as it's within spec!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Right, Carphone Warehouse have now sold out of all 16GB iPhones in the region, including the ones in the warehouses so I'm going to have to wait several weeks to get a replacement one. Apple also refuse to replace it for me because I have to go through Car Phone Warehouse support. You can buy any Apple product in the world and get support through Apple unless its an iPhone bought through CPW. How daft is that?

This really is rubbish. I've gone back to my 2G iPhone for now, the yellow tint is plain horrible and cheap looking. Looks like I'll just have to wait and hope my next one isn't faulty. :(

uneducated dave

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Apple also refuse to replace it for me because I have to go through Car Phone Warehouse support. You can buy any Apple product in the world and get support through Apple unless its an iPhone bought through CPW. How daft is that?

very odd. my 2G purchased from carphone warehouse was playing up last week, i took it to my nearest apple store and they swapped it out straight away!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
This might be an over-the-phone thing. The first person I spoke to said I should take it into an Apple Store or a CPW store. Since the nearest Apple Store is about an hour and a half away by train and the nearest CPW store is 2 minutes away, I went for the latter.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I am telling you that even if you swap it then you will still have the yellow tint! It's because the screens are cheap now! I'm sorry to say it but it's true!

Apple will swap it for you in an apple store though despite what they may say on the phone. That is a fact. Providing you can convince the genius the tint is a defect. Find some dead pixels and yourl get a swap.

In the meantime enjoy the new phone and sons compare it to the old more expensive screens!

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Ugh...those black bars on either side of the screen look worse than in apple's pics!

I'm sorry to hear about the yellow screen issue. It sucks to wait so long for a new product,then have it crap up on you!
I wish you luck in getting it sorted!
Dan x

zeasar

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Norn Iron
Apple also refuse to replace it for me because I have to go through Car Phone Warehouse support. You can buy any Apple product in the world and get support through Apple unless its an iPhone bought through CPW. How daft is that?

You should be able to have it exchanged, ring them again, if this one refuses, asks to talk to a higher up, and work your way up till you get them to replace it for you.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Oh dear,

This is what happens when a big company races to get the new kit out.

Im glad im waiting for a 1st gen to buy!

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
You should be able to have it exchanged, ring them again, if this one refuses, asks to talk to a higher up, and work your way up till you get them to replace it for you.

Really, ring them again.

BY LAW, it's Apple who manufactured the item, and hey should replace it for you. I had this a few months back with a macbook pro. I spent many hours on the phone to trading standards, who told me to simply tell apple that I was very aware of my rights and that it would go further if they did not fix the laptop.

Needless ot say, they fixed it.
It's a shame that it came to unsaid threats of a court case, but that is what the law is for.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
To me it just looks like the colour balance of the screen is set warmer. When I got my 16GB 1st gen I thought the same as it looked noticeably yellower than my 8GB one. However, after using it for a few days, It looked great and my old phone looked too blue.
The 16GB 3G one I've seen today appears to have exactly the same colour balance as my 16GB 1st gen and I can see why people who are used to the bluer screens would see it as yellow, but it's not a fault and it's not something to get stressed about and in a few days you'll get used to the warmer look of the new screens.
ATEOTD, they're not colour calibrated screens...

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Really, ring them again.

BY LAW, it's Apple who manufactured the item, and hey should replace it for you. I had this a few months back with a macbook pro. I spent many hours on the phone to trading standards, who told me to simply tell apple that I was very aware of my rights and that it would go further if they did not fix the laptop.

Needless ot say, they fixed it.
It's a shame that it came to unsaid threats of a court case, but that is what the law is for.

Yep, it was on bbc breakfast early this week, the problem has to be taken up by the manufacture, its the law.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Actually, under UK law your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer (unless you bought direct) so it actually is CPW who have to replace it in this case.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
To me it just looks like the colour balance of the screen is set warmer. When I got my 16GB 1st gen I thought the same as it looked noticeably yellower than my 8GB one. However, after using it for a few days, It looked great and my old phone looked too blue.
The 16GB 3G one I've seen today appears to have exactly the same colour balance as my 16GB 1st gen and I can see why people who are used to the bluer screens would see it as yellow, but it's not a fault and it's not something to get stressed about and in a few days you'll get used to the warmer look of the new screens.
ATEOTD, they're not colour calibrated screens...

yeah, good point, the screens probably are calibrated at a warmer white balance, rather than 6500k (which is bluer).

Antj29

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
Are any of you surprised.

Apparently O2 said it was all part of the launch.. Thats why you got Piss pour service and upgrade service, it was part of O2's PR to match the pissy yellow coloured screen. ha ha ha .

Sorry that was a bad joke;)

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
I'm having the same yellow screen problem when compared to my 1st ge iPhone. I've posted in Apple Support Forums as well and there are a few people complaining about the problem too.

We need people to continue adding to this thread to get an understanding of whether this is the way the phones are supposed to be or if there is actually a problem.

Turning the brightness up to get rid of the yellow tint is not the answer as it degrades battery life. When I have both of my Iphones set at exactly the same brightness you can definitely see the yellow tint.

I'm not going to let this one go lightly guys, and I suggest you do the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,060
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 799
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,152

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Its not just a warmer tone though, its definitely yellow. The whites aren't blue or white but distinctly yellow.

Edit: Thanks nseikh80 for the *much* better photos than mine!

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
I'm having the same yellow screen problem when compared to my 1st ge iPhone. I've posted in Apple Support Forums as well and there are a few people complaining about the problem too.

We need people to continue adding to this thread to get an understanding of whether this is the way the phones are supposed to be or if there is actually a problem.

Turning the brightness up to get rid of the yellow tint is not the answer as it degrades battery life. When I have both of my Iphones set at exactly the same brightness you can definitely see the yellow tint.

I'm not going to let this one go lightly guys, and I suggest you do the same.

the screen is a little bit smaller??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.