Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
If you are talking about the external box which uses USB to connect to your mac, then my brother has one and it works pretty good. The channels are all clear, but you can't use it for replacing a TV unfortunately. It is not that good. It works just as good as tv card for a windows machine. It works better however then my Village tronic TV ad on card which came with a voodoo3 graphics card which I use for my second monitor in my B&W.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
if i'm not mistaken, the formac studio tvr records tv shows in DV format. In case you're not familiar with DV, it is high-quality, but a HD hog. To record a lot of stuff (a la Tivo) you need a massive HD. A similar product that records in mpeg 2 is the eyetv. I haven't used one, but I've heard good things about the eyetv recorder.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I just recently got one of these and I rate it a B+.

Pros:
1. You can watch TV -- whatever channels you get through cable or antenna.
2. Set up is pretty simple.
3. You can record television to your hard drive as .dv files.
4. It also acts as a video and audio digitizer, letting you make dv files of any VCR tape or old home movie you want.

Cons:
1. If you want to do any type of editing to the files you record off of television with iMovie, then you have to make sure to either (a) set the recording up to record into iMovie or (b) make sure that you stop the recording before the clip runs over 2GB (about 10 minutes). Note that this is really a limitation within iMovie, but the TVR documentation doesn't really make this clear.

2. The TVR seems to come with software to compress .dv files into mpeg files (much smaller). This software seems to be defective in some way. I've tried using it on two Macs (my 500MHz TiBook and a friend's 1.25GHz 15" AlBook) and on both machines the program would simply disappear in progress (not even an "unexpectedly quit" message).

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I couldn't be happier. It's expensive though. Sure DV is a drive hog, but I have over a half terabyte, so it's not much of an issue. Making DV's out of my old family VHS tapes was REQUIRED when I searched for a solution, and the TVR works perfectly in that way.
The case design is sucky, though. Organic, white, too big... and it just doesn't fit on or in anything. Bottom line is that it does what it does perfectly, if you don't mind storing the bubble somehow.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by Foxer
Does anyone know if you can hook this up to a DirceTV system?
I'm guessing you mean Direct TV, and unless it has some sort of special output, I would think you'll be fine. The TVR has RCA, Coax, S-Video and FW400 in and out, so I'd suspect that the output from the DTV system would match with one of those.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by idea_hamster
The TVR has RCA, Coax, S-Video and FW400 in and out, so I'd suspect that the output from the DTV system would match with one of those.

Right. DirecTV comes into the house on a coax cable, like regular cable TV. The feed goes to reciever where it is decoded. It has to go through the receiver. From there, it can go to TV via coax, RCA or s-video.

So I could just run the s-video into this thing? If so, that would be quite cool.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by kuyu
if i'm not mistaken, the formac studio tvr records tv shows in DV format. In case you're not familiar with DV, it is high-quality, but a HD hog. To record a lot of stuff (a la Tivo) you need a massive HD. A similar product that records in mpeg 2 is the eyetv. I haven't used one, but I've heard good things about the eyetv recorder.
Be careful. Eyetv, if I recall correctly, does not give you full NTSC resolution. The formac unit gives you much higher quality video.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Originally posted by idea_hamster
Cons:
1. If you want to do any type of editing to the files you record off of television with iMovie, then you have to make sure to either (a) set the recording up to record into iMovie or (b) make sure that you stop the recording before the clip runs over 2GB (about 10 minutes). Note that this is really a limitation within iMovie, but the TVR documentation doesn't really make this clear.
Really? That sucks:mad:. So if I wanted to get this to record an hour long TV show, and edit out the commericals in iMovie, it is not possible?

2. The TVR seems to come with software to compress .dv files into mpeg files (much smaller). This software seems to be defective in some way. I've tried using it on two Macs (my 500MHz TiBook and a friend's 1.25GHz 15" AlBook) and on both machines the program would simply disappear in progress (not even an "unexpectedly quit" message).
Have they updated their software to fix these errors....or do they never update their software?

--Waluigi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.