Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
I posted this question in the Mac Programming forum yesterday but it wasn't moved over to here when the forum split, so I'll ask it again:

Does anyone know whether an application's entire sandbox, including any personal data/preferences that the user has entered, gets deleted every time an app is updated? This would really be a pain if it is the case, because my app involves the user entering a bunch of data over time and I would have to implement some sort of off-device synching mechanism in order to avoid having the data wiped out every time I want to update the app. I imagine a lot of other apps are the same way.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
I'm pretty sure that updating the app won't reset the sandbox.

One would hope that would be the case, but I have heard one or two people say that their game high scores were erased after installing an update. So the question is whether the software did that on purpose or if the sandbox was erased by the update process.

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
Their preferences and other saved data only gets deleted when the delete the app from their iphone by touching the screen for a few seconds, then hitting the X button by the app. It will tell them that it will delete all data relating to this app.

Updating an app just updates the executable data area, not the user data area.

---gralem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.