Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
Saw the front page rumors of a cube iMac. How about a modular design? Cube shaped (or whatever) with an ADC out AND a place to plug in a monitor so it integrated smoothly like the current iMac. So you can buy it with or without an LCD. Use your choise of monitor or save mony, or just get one that looks perfect together and occupies little space.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
what a strange idea, and while entirely feasible, it is probably too strange in the negative direction to market. The point of the iMac/ all in one is to, obviously, have an all in one. No one would buy a ridiculously overpriced Apple screen"attachment" when they could use their existing monitors no sweat.( ADC---> VGA adaptors are pretty easy to find at a good price.) Plus, that would just make it into a Powermac, or atleast bring it closer into that catagory, and I think Apple wants to keep their all in ones/ consumer line (the "i" family) far, far away from their pro line.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by G5orbust
what a strange idea, and while entirely feasible, it is probably too strange in the negative direction to market. The point of the iMac/ all in one is to, obviously, have an all in one. No one would buy a ridiculously overpriced Apple screen"attachment" when they could use their existing monitors no sweat.( ADC---> VGA adaptors are pretty easy to find at a good price.) Plus, that would just make it into a Powermac, or atleast bring it closer into that catagory, and I think Apple wants to keep their all in ones/ consumer line (the "i" family) far, far away from their pro line.

Wow that took alot of thoght, I think a removable iMac screen is a good idea. Lets say You buy a iMac with a 15" screen you take it home and decide you want a 17" screen. Just get on line and order the screen. OR if You are a PC user going to the mac You could buy the headless iMac and hook your PC monitor up.
Let us not forget the Performa line. Apple had Performas that were just like Powermacs

asgardn1

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
New Jersey
Just buy a 1.25 G4 Tower. You can plug any VGA, DVI or ADC monitor into that(or two if you want). Then again, it would be nice if you could swap the 17" Widescreen on a 15" iMac later on.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
What if...

What if all the components where in little boxes (the size of an external HD) connected to each other via firewire or somthing faster. So you get one box with the CPU, one with the RAM (or a combo of those two), one with the DVD burner, one with the HD, one for a pci or other kind of socket and so on. In this way you can make your own MAC or Pc very small or very big! If you need more ram, buy a expandable Ram box. You need more processing power, buy one of those. The possibilities are endless and you can update your system anytime you want without changing it completly!!

What do you guys think?!?!

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
good thinking dread. I saw something like this in a popular science about six months ago. This company was designing a PDA like device that was totally modular and upgradeable.

Apple could definately be competitive in this kind of market because it doesn't exist yet.

In business, the best way to make money is not to get a slice of an industries pie, but rather to invent a new pie of such flavor that no one can live without it (Microshaft, Carnagie, Rockafeller, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.