Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

o2lando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I find myself reading macrumors more then I read nytimes. I was hoping you guys would make a iPhone app for us peeps who are addicted to your site. I hope you guys offer this option to us very soon. So what do you guys think regarding a macrumors app?

JNB

macrumors 604
MR is available via Safari on the iPhone, and has an iPhone-optimized presentation. It's been like that for about a year now.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    8 KB · Views: 2,921

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
There are some desktop widgets out there that forum members have produced in the past, but I'm not sure whether anyone plans to do an app at this stage. Maybe this will inspire someone. :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I'm going to shift this to Site and Forum Feedback, where it might be more easily seen.

cough cough too slow ;).

Only having seen the small demo of the NYTimes app on youtube I can't comment too much but it did look like quite a nice interface. I'm not sure how well extendable it is to a forum based system though. Maybe just for news articles(?)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The Facebook app seems pretty nice in the limited time I've played with it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
But it would be a hint cooler to have the app alert you of new posts in the subscribed threads rather than emails cluttering my inbox.

If ever some one plans to do this..... I'd be the first one to download!:D

o2lando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
But it would be a hint cooler to have the app alert you of new posts in the subscribed threads rather than emails cluttering my inbox.

If ever some one plans to do this..... I'd be the first one to download!:D

Yes that would be way cooler I hope Macrumors works on this soon.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
could be cool, if done well. I've replaced a number of my home screen webpage links with apps, and the results are mixed.

Some are basically identical to the iphone version of the site, like the Bank of America app. I guess it's cool they made an app, but it would be nice if it had some functionality beyond just replicating what you can do on the iphone version of their website.

Some are worse than the iphone version of the site, like the facebook app. I actually deleted it and put back my link to iphone.facebook.com. The lack of access to the wall is... stunning. The wall basically is facebook for a lot of people, and not having it in the app makes it all but useless.

Some are better than the iphone version of the site, like the ebay app. Seems really nicely done, and is a lot easier to use than ebay mobile.

IMO, the mobile version of MR is really nice. It loads quickly, is relatively full featured, and it's easy to use. If someone could make an app that beats that, I'd be the first to dl it. But if the app just replicates the features of the mobile site, what's the point?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
MacRumors App

There should be one. Why has nobody thought of this? It would be so cool to check my unread threads and subscriptions without opening Safari, loading the MR Control Panel, zooming in on the freakin' hilariously small "show first unread" button and then using a tabulator bookmarklet to open my links in a new tab so I don't lose the control panel page while I'm browsing.

jmann

macrumors 604
Wirelessly posted (Jeff's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I completely agree with you. It would be so convenient to have a dedicated macrumors app, I would probably be posting a lot more from my phone that I usually do. :D

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I've said before I don't think a separate Macrumors app is required but could we pretty please with sugar on top have a better mobile skin for the forums? The one at the moment absolutely sucks on the iPhone it is so limited and makes it a pain to keep up with threads especially with the pages being so damn small!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I've said before I don't think a separate Macrumors app is required but could we pretty please with sugar on top have a better mobile skin for the forums? The one at the moment absolutely sucks on the iPhone it is so limited and makes it a pain to keep up with threads especially with the pages being so damn small!

I agree. Also, would it be too much for Apple to let you hold your finger on a link and have a pop-up come out that says "Open in New Tab" and "Cancel"? It would behave just like saving images, except for links.

I usually have 4 or 5 subscriptions going at once and I don't wanna leave the Control Panel page to view a thread because I've found that sometimes if I reload that page before I actually read all of them, they'll assume they've already been read.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I kinda like the way iLounge.com is set-up for a mobile forum. It's very minimal and clear. I think MR Forums looks pretty outdated... it would be nice to see a theme that looks like 2008/2009 instead of 1995, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.