Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RustyM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
My iPhone 3G says I have no SIM card installed. And, of course, all phone operation isn't happening right now. Restarts aren't fixing it. Tried popping out the sim card and also syncing with iTunes. I'll head out to the apple store in an hour or so.

Anyone else having this problem?

Cudadown

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
I had that problem with my 1st gen iPhone. I had to take out the sim, clean contacts and noticed the sim card was a little warped. I gently took the warp out of the sim by bending it a little and it has never done the error since.

RustyM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Hey Hey! I just followed your advise. The sim wasn't warped, but I used a bit of spit shine to clean the contacts. It worked! Thanks Cudadown.

tekachen

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
this happened to me too. thanks for the tip. i didn't even think to check the sim...

mfantom

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
had an actual problem with my SIM card

I am an addict and could not wait to get to the store so I first tried resetting "network" and then "all" settings to no avail. After also tring to remove and replace the SIM card without that fixing the problem I decided to look at my actual SIM card for problems and when I did I found a tiny piece of something that was bridging the gap between two of the connector plates on the card. The gap is tiny but I saw it and removed it by brushing it away with my fingernail. When I inserted it back in the phone it came right up.

Maybe I am lucky or maybe this was a real fix but worth looking at if you are having this issue I guess.

cheers

GirliPhone

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
I live in the SF Bay area, which has notoriously bad 3G network service, and my iPhone is about 9 months old. I went to sleep listening to music on my iPhone and woke up to the "No SIM installed" message.

I'm in favor of starting with the least invasive solutions first, so I did a few hard reboots. It didn't work.

I read about resetting network connections as a solution and was about to do that next when I read somewhere to try putting the phone into "Airplane Mode" and doing a hard reboot, then taking it off "Airplane Mode". THIS WORKED for me. As soon as I took it off "Airplane Mode" it redetected the network.

Storm Shadow

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I had this problem and it wouldnt go away. It just randomly started happening the other day. I had the SIM tested by O2 and it was working fine so booked an appointment with an Apple Genius and they replaced the handset there and then - the genius thought the SIM reader may have been faulty.

I dont know if maybe this is a larger problem and perhaps mine just died completely whereas others may just have temperamental SIM readers..

polynikes1k

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
cleaning my sim card off worked, but it still read "No SIM" until I turned airplane mode on then back off. fired right up away after that. yay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.