Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When Apple announced the iPhone Developers program in March, they made it clear that during the beta period that they would limit the number of approved developers. At WWDC, Steve Jobs revealed that of the 25,000 applicants interested in the program, only 4,000 had been accepted. From these 4,000 developers, Apple was able to launch the App Store with over 500 applications.

Based on reports from developers, it seems Apple has opened the program up and dropped the "beta" designation. Multiple developers have reported that they have been accepted into the $99/year developer program which allows them to install their applications directly onto their iPhone and also submit their apps for inclusion into the iTunes App Store.

The opening up of the program should motivate more developers to start serious development on the iPhone. It should also eliminate the non disclosure agreement which prevented developers from discussing their future applications.

We have added a new iPhone Developer forum to encourage developer participation and discussion. Meanwhile, Mac developers are also welcome to participate in our long standing Mac Developer forum.

Article Link

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Let's hope this doesn't slow down the already kind of slow app review process.

It gets especially annoying when you have important updates that your users need and have to wait until Apple reviews them.

l0ne

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
Except...

... except we still are under NDA and it's my personal opinion that it won't lift anytime soon.

So there.

philwa2

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
has anyone recieved anything back from the developer program once they had purchased the iphone developer program subscription through the apple online store?

I had confirmation of my order (and it being electronically delivered)- but havent recieved any instruction on what to do next??

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
so..
skype (with skyout)
mms,
video camera reocding,

I am waitting for above 3 apps..

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Brilliant! Now let's get better apps -- don't get me wrong, some are great already but some are rather crap...

Imperil

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Just as a little update the program is definitely totally open. I have been building an application with the SDK since the release but didn't even apply for the program as I live in Canada and did not have access to the device.

I just picked up my iPhone this morning :) And since I knew I was last night I joined up to the developer program and was accepted immediately and now have full access.

So it seems it really is open completely for registration at this time.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
so..
skype (with skyout)
mms,
video camera reocding,

I am waitting for above 3 apps..

Fortunately for you the iPhone has the ability to load 3rd party software so there is a good chance that you will see applications that do these exact functions. No cell phone is perfect for everyone. They are all missing features that some people want. With most cell phones you are stuck with what comes from the factory with little or no ability to upgrade. And once a new version of a phone comes out the old phone is pretty much abandoned as far as support goes.

Apple rocks.

JAYGEE

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
UK
Any chance of Microsoft putting msn messenger on the iPhone/iPod touch?

No I didn't think so :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I applied ages ago and was only accepted on Friday. Clearly the beta was limited (only makes sense) but that certainly seems to have changed!

I'm actually very encouraged by the fact that I see some apps in the App Store that look pretty poor. It means Apple's being fairly hands-off, as I'd hoped.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
I'm not following. What does an NDA have to do with Adium?

I imagine that the posters are implying that the developers of Adium have expressed a philosophical opposition to Apple's iPhone NDA, and so won't join the iPhone developer program. They have a blog, most likely any such state of affairs would be explained there.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I applied ages ago and was only accepted on Friday. Clearly the beta was limited (only makes sense) but that certainly seems to have changed!

I'm actually very encouraged by the fact that I see some apps in the App Store that look pretty poor. It means Apple's being fairly hands-off, as I'd hoped.

I, too, was accepted on Friday. Though I feel the opposite than you. I don't want a bunch of poor apps on the iPhone. I figured that the 500+ available at launch would have been tried an tested with Apple working closely with developers to make them stable. A way of showing the quality of the store and setting a precedence. After all, we can't test an app before we buy it so we need to pretty confidant that it will work as expected.

Too me, it seems they have taken the only aspect of the launch that went well and have known thrown a wrench into it.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I imagine that the posters are implying that the developers of Adium have expressed a philosophical opposition to Apple's iPhone NDA, and so won't join the iPhone developer program. They have a blog, most likely any such state of affairs would be explained there.

Thanks. I'll look that up. That does suck as Adium is simply the best IM client.

nigrunze

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Any chance of Microsoft putting msn messenger on the iPhone/iPod touch?

No I didn't think so :(

They can barely manage to make a good version for Mac. Once they add video/audio chat to the desktop Mac version, that's when they'll create an iPhone app. But it'll cost money, and only let us see who is online but not send them any messages, and it'll only let us set our user status to invisible.

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
I, too, was accepted on Friday. Though I feel the opposite than you. I don't want a bunch of poor apps on the iPhone. I figured that the 500+ available at launch would have been tried an tested with Apple working closely with developers to make them stable. A way of showing the quality of the store and setting a precedence. After all, we can't test an app before we buy it so we need to pretty confidant that it will work as expected.

Too me, it seems they have taken the only aspect of the launch that went well and have known thrown a wrench into it.

Totally Disagree. It shouldn't be Apple's job to determine what users want or don't want. The creamy apps will rise to the top. The crap will fade away. We can't always tell what will be popular, so let's give everyone a chance at the million dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.