Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirpaul

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
sorry buddy, its not GPS. It find your location using wifi :p

I forgot to mention how hard I laughed when I read that ;)

NSWMaps

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
I believe IP adresses also disclose location too, but I could be wrong.

Have fun with your GPS :D;)

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
--does anyone know for sure if the Touch uses the IP address to further derive location?

The precedent for hidden features (and the $9.95 cost, then) would of course be the wireless-N upgrade on intel-based Macs.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The service that Apple used to help develop the wifi-based location sends trucks all over the country with wifi detectors. They drive up every street, and when they discover a wifi node they mark it down along with it's GPS location (from their truck). It gets entered into their database, and when you ask for location on the Touch it compares the wifi nodes it can find with the ones that service knows the location of.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
My iPhone (2G) does the same thing. It doesn't have GPS. You're wrong.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
So why should it be so implausible that Apple, in their usual devious and infinite wisdom, would quietly put a GPS chip in an iPod Touch in anticipation of the Apps launch associated with the 3G iPhone. Just leave it latent. Then, on July 12 it comes alive. Why is that so far fetched?

It is not triangulating any wifi signals because I am rural and by myself. My wifi is not registered anywhere. Seriously, both at home and at my inlaws (also rural), it puts me on the map DEAD NUTS to within feet.

So I guess I.m just lucky! So be it!:D

also because if that was the case apple would be making a huge deal about it, to sell more ipod touch....gps is not a software upgrade its hardware...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

No, you're seriously misinformed.

The way the iPod Touch works is it sends the MAC addresses (Unique identifiers) of the wireless base stations around you to a service. This service essentially sends cars out all over the country to record the MACS of base stations it picks up, and where it picked them up at and stores them in a huge database.When you use locate me on an iTouch, it sends off the MAC of the wireless base station(s) around you, and if it's in the database, it returns the coordinates, which Google displays on the map. If the base stations around you are new and not in their database yet, Locate Me will not work. Your iPod Touch does not have GPS. End of story.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So why should it be so implausible that Apple, in their usual devious and infinite wisdom, would quietly put a GPS chip in an iPod Touch in anticipation of the Apps launch associated with the 3G iPhone. Just leave it latent. Then, on July 12 it comes alive. Why is that so far fetched?

It is not triangulating any wifi signals because I am rural and by myself. My wifi is not registered anywhere. Seriously, both at home and at my inlaws (also rural), it puts me on the map DEAD NUTS to within feet.

You really should read your own stuff and see how crazy it sounds.

Quietly put a GPS chip in the iPod Touch? Why in the crap would they add something that costs probably at least $25, maybe $50, to the Touch and not advertise the hell out of it? The "quiet" upgrades Apple has done before are nowhere near as significant -- slight bumps to the Mac Mini before the Intel switch, the 802.11n wireless stuff, etc.

Let me make it plain: THERE IS NO GPS CHIP IN THE IPOD TOUCH. It is all based on WiFi. I don't know exactly how they made the magic work, but this company went TONS of places to track cell towers and probably have some IP-based way of doing WiFi locations.

No, aliens didn't make the crop circles, either.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
This is hillarious, the ipod touch does NOT NOT have a GPS. You would be surprised how well the wifi triangulation works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.