Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Dears,
just to let you know that the Push between desktop apps and the infamous cloud simply does not exist.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1155

The "automatic, instantly" that was advertised is simply a 15 minutes interval syncing between your mac and the redicolous cloud. I dont know how can this legally be possible with what they have shown in the keynote, shown in the guided tour video, and sold for 99 bucks.

Also i wonder what happens if, say, i change a calendar entry in my ical desktop app 1 minute before going out of home, then shut down the computer. Guess what? Unfortunately i wasnt lucky enough to get it synced...

This is not exchange for the rest of us, because exchange works. This is only a pathetically implemented scam. Im digusted.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Dears,
just to let you know that the Push between desktop apps and the infamous cloud simply does not exist.

The "automatic, instantly" that was advertised is simply a 15 minutes interval syncing between your mac and the redicolous cloud. I dont know how can this legally be possible with what they have shown in the keynote, shown in the guided tour video, and sold for 99 bucks.

Also i wonder what happens if, say, i change a calendar entry in my ical desktop app 1 minute before going out of home, then shut down the computer. Guess what? Unfortunately i wasnt lucky enough to get it synced...

This is not exchange for the rest of us, because exchange works. This is only a pathetically implemented scam. Im digusted.

This is ridiculous! Talk about false advertising. I'm really getting sick of Apple's marketing lately. They have been fabricating battery life for the past year, which is something they used to under-estimate, and the same false advertising existed for Back To My Mac (I have yet to try it under MobileMe, but will later today now that I was able to re login to my accounts on my computers).

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I am glad I am in a 60 day free trial.

MobileMe is not shaping up to be something that will likely benefit me.

This just doesn't make any sense. Why are the windows on the computer so long? Seems like that would be the EASIEST one to do right away.

Schweppy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Thats not true!

I get emails pushed to my phone as soon as they arrive.

I think the syncing is only to do with contacts/calendar dates etc.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Thats not true!

I get emails pushed to my phone as soon as they arrive.

I think the syncing is only to do with contacts/calendar dates etc.

Are you serious or what?

Yes, it works between the iphone and the web server. If you change the calendar entry on your desktop application it does not work, you wont see it on your iphone or the web before you get lucky and the syncing process start.

Do you realize what they're doing is illegal? Do yo realize that they are still excplicitly showing on a video in their web site that if i change something on my desktop application it gets synced with the web and my iphone within seconds?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
From Apple:

Push keeps contacts up to date.
Ever been on the road without an important phone number? With MobileMe, your contacts are pushed to all your devices and everything stays up to date. Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer.

From the Cal section:
Changes you make are instantly pushed to all your devices so you’re always up to date.

Schweppy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Are you serious or what?

Yes, it works between the iphone and the web server. If you change the calendar entry on your desktop application it does not work, you wont see it on your iphone or the web before you get lucky and the syncing process start.

Do you realize what they're doing is illegal? Do yo realize that they are still excplicitly showing on a video in their web site that if i change something on my desktop application it gets synced with the web and my iphone within seconds?

Yes, you are correct about contacts, calendar entries, etc.

But emails DO push instantly...

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007

Say you go into a restaurant and
1- order apasta, a steak, and icecream
2- you're only served the icecream
3- A smiling waiter present you the full bill

What do you do? Pay for everything and go around saying how wonderful was your icecream?

Schweppy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Say you go into a restaurant and
1- order apasta, a steak, and icecream
2- you're only served the icecream
3- A smiling waiter present you the full bill

What do you do? Pay for everything and go around saying how wonderful was your icecream?

LOL, i just agreed with you....

Stratguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008

I have the status of MobileMe in the menubar, so when I need to go somewhere, I click on "sync now" in the drop down menu just before I go and everything is synced, just like Time Machine. I know it's not ideal but at least you don't get caught out.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I am pretty disappointed. I just tried it out by adding an event on my phone and it did not appear on ical until i performed a sync. Not exactly Push when I have to Pull the information onto my computer.

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco

Email only push to the iPhone. Not to the Mac. Not sure if this is something that's going to be fixed in the future.

I think the above is upsetting in itself, but what we're angry about here is that according to the knowledge base article linked above, push anything will never happen from the Mac because it's not a supported feature, even though they led us to believe that it will be.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
This is an issue for me purchasing. I have 10.4.11, which the apple support page indicates MobileMe will update once an hour. I was under the impression that it was immediate. Since I will be sharing a calendar with spouse, PUSH is the reason I would be buying. I am waiting till hear more feedback such as this before plunging. Thanks for the info.

Dears,

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
From Apple:

Push keeps contacts up to date.
Ever been on the road without an important phone number? With MobileMe, your contacts are pushed to all your devices and everything stays up to date. Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer.

From the Cal section:
Changes you make are instantly pushed to all your devices so you’re always up to date.

The horrible thing about both those quotes is they are technically true.

The first one only says "automatically" which it does automatically do it every 15 or 60 minutes.

The second one says pushes to all your devices instantly, meaning from .Me you can push to your phone, your computer etc at once. It does not say that you can push from your devices instantly.

I don't really understand this to be honest. Hopefully they are screwed up, have plans to fix this and make some kind of announcement.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The horrible thing about both those quotes is they are technically true.

The first one only says "automatically" which it does automatically do it every 15 or 60 minutes.

The second one says pushes to all your devices instantly, meaning from .Me you can push to your phone, your computer etc at once. It does not say that you can push from your devices instantly.

I don't really understand this to be honest. Hopefully they are screwed up, have plans to fix this and make some kind of announcement.

This quote:
"Make a change on your computer, and MobileMe updates your iPhone automatically. Likewise, when you make a change on your iPhone, it’s instantly pushed to your computer."

The "Likewise" is comparing the computer directly with the features on the iphone, ie. instantly.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I just deleted a contact on MobileMe and within 15 seconds, I watched it automatically get deleted from my iPhone.

I then added two events on my calender for today on my iPhone. They were synced to my calender in MobileMe instantly as well. I didn't have to sync or anything, it was all done automatically within seconds.

I don't understand how this is not Push Calender and contacts?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I just deleted a contact on MobileMe and within 15 seconds, I watched it automatically get deleted from my iPhone.

I then added two events on my calender for today on my iPhone. They were synced to my calender in MobileMe instantly as well. I didn't have to sync or anything, it was all done automatically within seconds.

No one is saying that push between MobileMe and the iPhone is not working.

This is strictly between the Computer and MobileMe. Add something in iCal...it won't appear until your computer is forced to Sync.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
No one is saying that push between MobileMe and the iPhone is not working.

This is strictly between the Computer and MobileMe. Add something in iCal...it won't appear until your computer is forced to Sync.

I see. The push working between my iPhone and MobileMe is why I bought MobileMe. I don't care if it doesn't work the same way for my computers.

drjjw

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
That is revolting

What a joke.

Frm a huge MacHead this pains me to say it, but "Shame on you Apple"!!!

bmk

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Paris

No one here has been saying that it doesn't work for the iPhone. All the complaints here are about DESKTOP machines and the syncing/pushing issue.

EDIT: Zedsdead beat me to it!

I don't care if it doesn't work the same way for my computers.

That's not very friendly. Next time you come here for advice about an iPhone how'd you like it if I said 'I don't care about your problem because I don't have an iPhone'?

moseleyite

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Birmingham UK

This is my experience also - however, when adding a contact or a calendar entry in Address Book or iCal on my mac, I have to manually sync or wait for an hour for my mac to sync automatically (I'm using Tiger, it would be 15 minutes in Leopard I understand).

This blatantly not instantaneous as shown in Apple's MobileMe video guide on their website. It is certainly not "exchange for the rest of us".

In summary, my tests point to this:

iPhone ---> MobileMe = push
MobileMe ---> iPhone = push
Mac ---> MobileMe = sync
MobileMe ---> Mac = sync (not sure on this one, I'm still trying it out)

Is this what others have found?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
That's not very friendly. Next time you come here for advice about an iPhone how'd you like it if I said 'I don't care about your problem because I don't have an iPhone'?

I didn't say I don't care that it doesn't work for you, I'm just saying it works for my purposes which is why I bought it.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
About email.... emails are a different thing. They have completely different servers from them and pushing emails is not such a big deal.

Whats big is that I watched the WWDC Keynote and the MMe guided tour. Both showed it crystal clear that desktop apps WILL PUSH! I'm waiting for another week. If this still persists, well Its gonna be war!

I didn't pay 99$ for this untruthful crap....:mad:

kdog1176

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Yeah "push" does indeed exist between MobileMe and the IPhone, which I am very happy with! :)

I did see how "syncing" is used between the Mac/PC and MobileMe. I have a Macbook (Leopard 10.5.4), and when I make an update on MobileMe/IPhone, the sync will automatically kick of within a few seconds to make the update on my Macbook (Sync also automatically kicks off when logging into Macbook). Though I wish it did the same thing when I make an update on the Macbook. The sync will not kick off right away, so I usually just kick the sync off myself.

I must say, I am still extremely happy with MobileMe. The "push" I desired was more for the IPhone, and the sync behavior on my Macbook works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.