Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Hi Damien,

Mu iPhone (3G) is giving my location as London. It's SIM isn't registered yet, but I would have thought the GPS would kick in. Haven't tried it outdoors though.

Damien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
I thought it could find your location using the nearest cell tower if you didn't have GPS?

mallchin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Is anyone else finding location aware apps do not work on their 2G UK iPhones?

Yes, me too! Worked fine on 1.1.4.

I've tried:

Turning on/off plane mode
Turning on/off iPhone
Resetting Network settings
Restoring via iTunes
Recycling phone (power+hold button until it goes black)

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
yeah, locate me doesn't work on my original iphone on 2.0, but did last night on 1.1.4??

mmmmmmmmmm

bug fix for 2.1??

ive restored rest etc

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
yeah, locate me doesn't work on my original iphone on 2.0, but did last night on 1.1.4??

mmmmmmmmmm

bug fix for 2.1??

ive restored reset etc

jimf123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
strangely for me, since upgrading to software 2.0, I've managed to get this to work twice on google maps. Both times it pinpointed my location within a hundred yards or so, something it never did before - it always gave me a few miles circle when at home which was pretty rubbish.

Then later today it stopped working all together and the icon in the bottom right if the screen just spins and spins...

Let's hope it's sorted soon...

Damien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
Well the Issue seems to be quite common. I tried demo units at O2 stores and one of of 4 iPhones I tried (1 out of 5 if you include mine) had GPS working. The others just spun as the previous poster mentioned! So this is happening on the 3G/GPS iPhones as well...

steveh72

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
same problem

for what it's worth i've had the exact same problem since the 2.0 upgrade. i'm actually relieved to see it's not just me.

looks like no sign of apple doing anything about it.

if i were being cynical i'd say this is their way to get us to upgrade to 3G.

the whole thing is incredibly annoying given i bought my 2G not long before the 3G came out.

i thought apple were supposed to be good at this sort of thing. feels as rubbish to me as anything microsoft do, frankly. (probably not a popular comment on here but what the hey).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.