Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have a couple of POP accounts from domains that I own. Those are the ones I regulary check. Now wit the push service of my @me account, can I do something to have the POP ones being pushed on MobileMe?

I know you can forward GMAIL to @me.com and have it pushed, so does anyone know if a regular own domain POP accounts be able to do this?

Thanx

skinykeny

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
I have POP mail, with 2 accounts. I went to the web access and under settings was able to have both accounts forwarded to my .Mac/.Me accounts. It still looks like it was sent to either of my other accounts, but when I respond, it comes from my .Mac account.

In the end, I guess it just depends on the settings for your POP email provider.

Does that answer your question?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Used Gmail to successfully forward all my POP accounts to
my MobileMe and .Mac accounts.

Works incredibly well.

The best thing about Gmail over using your local provider to
forward mail is that Gmail filters out spam.

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I have POP mail, with 2 accounts. I went to the web access and under settings was able to have both accounts forwarded to my .Mac/.Me accounts. It still looks like it was sent to either of my other accounts, but when I respond, it comes from my .Mac account.

In the end, I guess it just depends on the settings for your POP email provider.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks, it sure does, but is there a way to answer from the account it was sent?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Thanks, it sure does, but is there a way to answer from the account it was sent?

You would need to configure both of those accounts on your iphone but set it to fetch data manually so they will never be checked. Then when you reply to an e-mail from mobile me you will be able to reply from those 2 domains.

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
You would need to configure both of those accounts on your iphone but set it to fetch data manually so they will never be checked. Then when you reply to an e-mail from mobile me you will be able to reply from those 2 domains.

Thanx Sharp, so there's no need to set up aliases or anything? I was a little confused by people who have setup gmail accounts.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
You shouldn't need to, I just tried it out on my ipod touch and it seemed to work fine. Some people chose to make it so your only sending through gmails SMTP server, but then you wouldn't be able to send via your mobile me account. There's an option in gmail to reply with the address that the mail was sent to but that feature never worked for me.

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Used Gmail to successfully forward all my POP accounts to
my MobileMe and .Mac accounts.

Works incredibly well.

The best thing about Gmail over using your local provider to
forward mail is that Gmail filters out spam.

Sorry to sound dumb, but how did you set this up on your phone? I currently have a Gmail account and have 3 pop accounts that have been forwarding to my phone before this new mobile me started.

How would I get this set up?

Thanks

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
OK so tell me if I'm wrong:

On Webmail: Forward to @me.com all incoming mail, but keep the mailbox.
On iPod Touch: setup POP accounts to fetch manually, and answer from any of the account.....???
On Mail.app: Receive via @me, but should I configure the stp????Keeep the mailboxes of the POP????

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
OK so tell me if I'm wrong:

On Webmail: Forward to @me.com all incoming mail, but keep the mailbox.
On iPod Touch: setup POP accounts to fetch manually, and answer from any of the account.....???
On Mail.app: Receive via @me, but should I configure the stp????Keeep the mailboxes of the POP????

If you want to use mobile me as a central hub for your other domains...

on Webmail: forward your existing domains to your @me.com account(or tell me.com to fetch them as pop)
on ipod touch: configure your mobile me as normal, but also your other accounts but set them to only fetch manually so they won't be used. This will let you be able to send from those addresses when you get a mail from mobile me.
on Mail.app: receive @me, you can also setup your other accounts so you can send from them.

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
If you want to use mobile me as a central hub for your other domains...

on Webmail: forward your existing domains to your @me.com account(or tell me.com to fetch them as pop)
on ipod touch: configure your mobile me as normal, but also your other accounts but set them to only fetch manually so they won't be used. This will let you be able to send from those addresses when you get a mail from mobile me.
on Mail.app: receive @me, you can also setup your other accounts so you can send from them.

I did it, I'd send an email from another acoount and I'd received on @me. In webacces I kept the "mailbox" option, so I'm receiving duplicates.

If I just keep the "forwarding" and uncheck the "mailbox", will I loose the ability to send from that account on both iPod/iPhone and Mai.app?

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I did it!!! It's finally working the way I wanted. Here's what I did:

1. In Webmail setup to:
a) Keep the "Mailbox" ability (so you can still answer from that account).
b) Checked the "Discard all incoming mail".
c) Setup Forward to @me.com.

2. In Mail.app added the @me.com account and leave the rest of the exisiting POP accounts I've already have (the server won't send any email to the mailboxes, just to the @me account).

3. In iPhone/iPod Toch: As Sharp told me, set the "fetch" to manually in all POP accounts, but leave them there, so you can answer "from" any of them.

I hope this helps anyone else.

Thank you so much, and sorry for the dumb questions...

I'm only waiting for the MobileMe webmail to display, it only shows a spin and keeps doing it ll day long.

bemaniac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
SF Bay Area
I did it!!! It's finally working the way I wanted. Here's what I did:

1. In Webmail setup to:
a) Keep the "Mailbox" ability (so you can still answer from that account).
b) Checked the "Discard all incoming mail".
c) Setup Forward to @me.com.

2. In Mail.app added the @me.com account and leave the rest of the exisiting POP accounts I've already have (the server won't send any email to the mailboxes, just to the @me account).

3. In iPhone/iPod Toch: As Sharp told me, set the "fetch" to manually in all POP accounts, but leave them there, so you can answer "from" any of them.

I hope this helps anyone else.

Thank you so much, and sorry for the dumb questions...

I'm only waiting for the MobileMe webmail to display, it only shows a spin and keeps doing it ll day long.

Alright, so I understand that, except for the "mailbox ability" thing. What does this mean? I can't find this option anywhere.

Also, I managed to get Mail.app working correctly (sends back to the correct address), but me.com and iPhone always try to reply to the @me.com email address.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Try these directions as they are working perfectly for me...

Create a GMAIL account

1. Go to Google Mail and create a personal account

2. After you have successfully registered, log into your GMAIL
account and click on SETTINGS in top right corner

3. Go to Accounts and scroll down to Get Mail From Other
Accounts. Fill out the information pertaining to the POP3 account
you wish GMAIL to retrieve mail from.

4. Go to Forwarding and POP and select the option Enable POP
only for mail that arrives from now on

5. Repeat above steps for additional POP addresses you wish to push.

Set up .MAC to push on your iPhone

1. On your iPhone go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Add
An Account -> Mobile ME

2. Use your .Mac/MobileMe address and password. SAVE

3. Go back into MobileMe configuration in mail settings, click account
info and where it says smtp.me.com scroll down till you find smtp.gmail.com and use it.

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
The post above is correct, but what's the point?

You can set up a Gmail account on your iphone and it does the same thing, push will not work on your mobile me account on the iphone since Gmail does not check your POP account except for random times, so you might as well just set up Gmail on your phone and save yourself the $99 a year charge.

Correct?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have been using Gmail for the past year to forward my mail
to my iPhone.

Mail sent gets received immediately in Gmail. No random downloads.

Push is working perfectly with the above method.

GuillaumeB

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Just behind you

or set them up and delete them afterwards... the SMTP settings will still be available

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I agree, but Gmail email would get pushed instant, but the POP emails are randomly checked and not always an instant send.

Maybe I'm wrong.

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I tried the Gmail forwarding steps again, and have re set up my mobile me account on my iphone. I have 3 pop email accounts that my Gmail is set up to forward.

I've sent about 3 test emails from my 2007 Outlook and my phone has yet to receive any of them.

What step and I missing?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
If you are mailing yourself, possibility that it has placed those
messages in the SENT folder. It can act screwy if you are emailing yourself.

Go to your GMAIL Internet (web) account and see if GMAIL has
those emails listed in their INBOX.

Let us know.

As I noted earlier, GMAIL is pretty fast in receiving mail. Almost
instantaneous.

corvera

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
OK it's a long post but this is what I know and what I did:

I wanted my POP accounts (personal domains, not gmail) to be pushed to my iPhone/iPod and to Mail.app. I also wanted to answer from the domains addresses when I want it.

What I did is forward all incoming mail of those accounts to @me.com, that worked but I was receiving email on both accounts (@me and domain), so in webmail (of the POP account) I setup the discard all incoming mail option. That is something that my webmail have as an option, I don't know if this can be made in gmail or other POP accounts. Discarding incoming mail and forward option make me receive only emails on my @me acoount.

What I ment before on keeping mailbox option is that my POP account it's not actually a forward account, is a real mailbox with the ability to send messages but not receiving them.

Whenever somebody writes me at my POP acoount, I receive that mail in the @me account and I'm able to answer that mail from the POP address that it was directed (not the @me account).

To be able to do this I had to setup (or synchronize) my existing POP acounts to the iPhone/iPod Touch, that gives you the possibility to "answer" whatever mail received om the @me.com account from the domain it wa originally directed to. It os not actually necessary to setup the "fetch" option inthe iPhone, since the mailbox it's not going to receive any mail.

Just to clarified on some post I've seen: I do have pushed mail in all my accounts including my own POP ones.

The only thing that can't be done it's when you compose a message in the iPhone from the POP account and have that sent mail synched to your computer. Other than that it's working perfect for me.

iptaylm

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
If you are mailing yourself, possibility that it has placed those
messages in the SENT folder. It can act screwy if you are emailing yourself.

Go to your GMAIL Internet (web) account and see if GMAIL has
those emails listed in their INBOX.

Let us know.

As I noted earlier, GMAIL is pretty fast in receiving mail. Almost
instantaneous.

The emails I sent are in the "All Mail" tab on Gmail, nothing is getting pushed to my phone.

Now what?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Are you emailing yourself?

Go to the iPhone, MobileMe account and check SENT folder.

The mail may be getting pushed to there.

bemaniac

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
SF Bay Area
OK it's a long post but this is what I know and what I did:

I wanted my POP accounts (personal domains, not gmail) to be pushed to my iPhone/iPod and to Mail.app. I also wanted to answer from the domains addresses when I want it.

What I did is forward all incoming mail of those accounts to @me.com, that worked but I was receiving email on both accounts (@me and domain), so in webmail (of the POP account) I setup the discard all incoming mail option. That is something that my webmail have as an option, I don't know if this can be made in gmail or other POP accounts. Discarding incoming mail and forward option make me receive only emails on my @me acoount.

What I ment before on keeping mailbox option is that my POP account it's not actually a forward account, is a real mailbox with the ability to send messages but not receiving them.

Whenever somebody writes me at my POP acoount, I receive that mail in the @me account and I'm able to answer that mail from the POP address that it was directed (not the @me account).

To be able to do this I had to setup (or synchronize) my existing POP acounts to the iPhone/iPod Touch, that gives you the possibility to "answer" whatever mail received om the @me.com account from the domain it wa originally directed to. It os not actually necessary to setup the "fetch" option inthe iPhone, since the mailbox it's not going to receive any mail.

Just to clarified on some post I've seen: I do have pushed mail in all my accounts including my own POP ones.

The only thing that can't be done it's when you compose a message in the iPhone from the POP account and have that sent mail synched to your computer. Other than that it's working perfect for me.

Ok. I got everything working. The one thing that doesn't work on the iPhone (and Me.com) is the ability to automatically reply to the address the sender sent the email to.

In other words, if someone sends me an email to adam@gmail.com, it will be forwarded correctly to adam@me.com, and the "to" field will correctly say "adam@gmail.com", but when I hit reply, adam@me.com is the address selected by default.

In Mail.app, it correctly replies from the address the person sent the email to, but in Me.com and iPhone, it defaults to the @me.com address.

Any thoughts? Any way around this?

grs

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Bemaniac, see the thread with the title "Hell YES! Anyone catch this!" It answers your question.

grs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.