Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swoolf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
Hi again -

Yesterday I started a post to discuss the merits and shortcomings of using a gigabit ethernet network for digital video storage.

On a similar note, I read tonight that Firewire 800 supports up to 100 meters of cabling! Amazing.

So here's a question -- getting creative for a moment, is it possible to network multiple computers to each other, or to an external Firewire 800 drive, using IP over firewire? Is that nuts?

I haven't researched hubs or switches that might accomplish this, nor looked at cable prices, but given the amazing cable length supported through FW800, it's an intriguing thought. I imagine that it could be a technical nightmare if things start going wrong.

Love to hear any input on it.

Thanks,

Steve

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: IP over Firewire 800

Originally posted by swoolf
Hi again -

Yesterday I started a post to discuss the merits and shortcomings of using a gigabit ethernet network for digital video storage.

On a similar note, I read tonight that Firewire 800 supports up to 100 meters of cabling! Amazing.

So here's a question -- getting creative for a moment, is it possible to network multiple computers to each other, or to an external Firewire 800 drive, using IP over firewire? Is that nuts?

I haven't researched hubs or switches that might accomplish this, nor looked at cable prices, but given the amazing cable length supported through FW800, it's an intriguing thought. I imagine that it could be a technical nightmare if things start going wrong.

Love to hear any input on it.

Thanks,

Steve
Apple developed IP over Firewire. However, I am unaware of a shipping product that uses it.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by krhodus
if you are a member of ADC, you can download it off the member site.
Kevin

Or if you have 10.3 it's already installed. If it doesn't show up, choose "Network Port Configurations" from the drop down list, click the "New..." button, and from the Port drop down list choose "Built-in FireWire".

Although I am not sure about FireWire 800 vs. Gigabit, I tested FireWire 400 vs. 100baseTX (using 10.2 and the beta IP over FireWire driver), and 100baseTX was always faster.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Several years ago NEC created a small program that enables IP over Firewire400 under Win98SE.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
It's things like integrated firewire networking in 10.3 that you notice left and right that make me wonder what kind of crack folks are smoking who say it's not worth the upgrade price...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Re: IP over Firewire 800

Originally posted by swoolf
I read tonight that Firewire 800 supports up to 100 meters of cabling! Amazing.

I read this too but I have yet to see any FireWire cables with that much lenght. Does anyone know where these supposed 100 m. cables can be purchased?

As for the original question, I think that the only way to share the external FireWire drive is by plugging into a networked computer.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I believe the 100m(?) spec is using optical cable. Seems difficult to find, however. I bet it can be obtained.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: IP over Firewire 800

Originally posted by MisterMe
Apple developed IP over Firewire. However, I am unaware of a shipping product that uses it.
apple didnt invent it, they hopped on the bandwagon about 2 years after windows had it.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.