Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I quickly downloaded "Voice Record" when I saw it, because it was only a buck (I don't have 2.0 yet). But now I see there's two other voice recorders that are a bit more pricier.

Voice Record - $0.99
Speakeasy Voice Recorder - $4.99
QuickVoice Recorder - $8.99

Thing is, all of them sound like they do the same thing. I'd be willing to pay whatever price, as long as I know I'm getting the best program -- though I don't know if higher price necessarily equates to better quality with the App Store, since developers probably had no idea how to price things or what their competitors would price similar apps.

Anyone download any of these programs (or more than one) who can give a little more info about them? Do they have a limit to how much you can record? Have you tested the sound quality (especially original iPhone owners)? How close do you need to be to a sound source to pick it up?

Any more details that can given for ANY of these apps would be greatly appreciated!

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
There are a couple apps that have free voice recorders too! Reqall and voice notes, and i believe jott as well...all free

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I tried voicenotes and Reqall.

Reqall wanted some account set up so I just removed it.

Not worth the annoyance.

Voicenotes is simple, free, and works well.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
SpeakEasy: Voice Recorder!!

If I were you I would get SpeakEasy. I will tell you why ...

1. Incredible Interface
2. Ability to Organize Audio
3. Easy Naming of Audio Files

(And the roadmap)

I have spoken with the developer and within the next month maybe 2 there will be an update in which you can copy those audio files off of your iPhone and onto your computer.

Also renaming of the categories will be in that next update.

So those are the reasons why I choose and support SpeakEasy. It is a solid initial release and does everything better than the rest already and has a great roadmap already about where the software is headed.

I hope this helps those looking at the myriad of audio recorders.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I'm sure it is a wonderful product. Just don't need voice recording enough to pay $4.99 for the pleasure when there are free ones that do what I need.

If I have a need that the free products do not provide, I'll be happy to pay for that.

Good luck to you though.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I know and for many that is what the free ones are for - I am just fanatical about having a good audio recorder - this is the one feature I use on a daily basis and need a solid well supported application. So that is why I looked into all of the ones available and found that this application stood out as being simply great.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I have spoken with the developer and within the next month maybe 2 there will be an update in which you can copy those audio files off of your iPhone and onto your computer.

Hmm... so wait -- do none of these voice recorder programs currently have a way to sync the audio files to your computer? That would actually be a necessity for me. If SpeakEasy is the only one that plans to do this soon, then that's definitely the program for me...

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Hmm... so wait -- do none of these voice recorder programs currently have a way to sync the audio files to your computer? That would actually be a necessity for me. If SpeakEasy is the only one that plans to do this soon, then that's definitely the program for me...

One that synced to an iTunes playlist would be sweet. I would pay for that.

I would also think that the quality of any of these would be limited by the quality of the built in mic, so that wouldn't be as much of a consideration.

brocksiphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Speakeasy voice recorder

Hi,

just bought the speakeasy voice recorder. Not impressed with the fact that thw sensitivity of the mic is poor!! Playback from the phone is then barely heard! I wanted recorder for meetings really and the fact that it cannot pick up sound from a close distance, I cant see it working well. I dont know if the iphones mic is the problem or the software.

It works well when you have the headphones in with the built in mic.

Other problem is the file transfer to the computer which is inexistent.

Interface is professional and easy to use.

Anyway, if anyone knows how I could improve the sensitivity please let me know.

Thanks!

tallman0001

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Voice Record

I tried Voice Record, Speakeasy, and VoiceNotes (which just recieved a C&D from Erica Sadun, the original creator http://ericasadun.com/?p=210).

Speakeasy does have more feature, but I think Voice Record is the best. It is only .99 cents and it does the job well. It seems to pick up audio a bit better than Speakeasy.

Kind of unfortunate you can't transfer the files, but that isn't a huge requirement for me.

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
imo reQall is pretty awesome, although you have to spend two minutes to set a free account you can then make notes by text or voice. What I thought was really cool was that when I made a voice note it listened to what I said and then wrote it out (although it was a tiny bit slow). reQall is pretty cool and very useful. :cool:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I paid the $.99 for voice record. It works very well. I don't know if any of the free ones can do long recordings, but for a buck I'm happy.

FLYING SE7EN

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Is anyone having a problem with SpeakEasy? I downloaded and installed the app from my 2G phone, and synced. Everything works fine, but when I try to listen to my recordings with headphones, the playback stops and the app crashes back to the home screen.

Can I delete the app and then re-download it from my computer maybe? Any ideas?

J.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i just downloaded ReQall and its acting a little funny, and the account creation process was a little confusing because it kept telling me i had to make a call to create a voice recording.. you would think they would create a different redirect for people who are creating an account from an iphone that gives instructions on recording notes through the iphone app.

anyways, i created a voice recording and now its been stuck on ReQall is typing what you said...

It can not seem to figure out what i said, and theres no way to cancel it!!!

The layout is also a little confusing as there are multiple pages.> You can record just plain notes, that stay in on place, or you can record notes that are attached to a calander, which are stored in a different section.. I THINK

kmay37

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Jott wanted me to call some number and give them my personal information...NO THANKS and reqall wanted something similar...i just used voicenotes it was free...and for my to do lists i just type it in...its quick enough for me and i don't have to worry about it recording right the first time.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The SDK does not allow for mic sensitivity adjustments. I finally used SpeakEasy in a real world use where I was at a convention with a speaker and the app worked perfectly and the recording volume was great hit the highs and the lows.

Oh file transfer is coming rather soon from SpeakEasy over a simple SSH usage.

I was also wondering about the Erica Sadun legal app of VoiceNotes? How is it?!!

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
reQall is going to be deleted form my phone tonight. I just dont like it.> Its weirdly complicated and kind of annoying if it can not figure out what you said.

I dont like it.

FLYING SE7EN

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I've deleted and re-installed the app and I still can't listen to any of my recordings through headphones in SpeakEasy!:mad: If I plug the headphones in during playback, it just stops and hangs. If I launch the app with headphones connected, the app crashes as soon as I hit the play button on a selected recording. This really sucks.

Is no one else having this problem? I've emailed the developer, but I've heard nothing back from them...

J.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.