Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crom8i3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
LA, CA, USA
Hate to add to the frenzy, but couldn't find a related thread.

When i turn the bluetooth "on" it opens up a device window and just continually searches but does not pick up my headset. My headset (jabra BT8040) is powered up and sitting on my desk not 6 inches away. Am i just a newb or is this common with you guys?

The headset is not even a week old and it worked great with my previous phone (non-iphone). Thanks...

Andy

crom8i3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
LA, CA, USA
Did you make sure the headset was in pairing mode?

I'll look thru the headset's manual, but I believe as soon as it turns on it becomes discoverable and ready for pairing.

My headset doesn't even appear in the bluetooth window on my iPhone so i couldn't pair it if I tried. May be a prob with the bluetooth in the phone, or a setting that i don't know about is configured wrong...

johnnyt74

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Mine's doing exactly the same...

Sometimes it is discoverable but you can't connect to it (the iphone that is)

The iphone itself just "searches" for devices forever...

??

Anyone any ideas?

:confused:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Both my 3G iPhone and my Macbook cannot find my Plantronics 520 headset... my 1st gen iPhone finds it instantly....

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm not convinced my Bluetooth is working at all... When I go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and switch it on, all I get is

Bluetooth ON

Devices
Searching...

Now Discoverable

And there's nothing else on the screen (should there be? I would have expected a few more option like whether it should be discoverable or not). And it just keeps searching, but never finds anything (I have 2 Macs and 2 mobiles that are all discoverable and can easily find each other). Furthermore, nothing else finds my iPhone.

So can someone who's got BT working in any way maybe do a screen print or just describe what the BT setup screen should be like?

Thanks!

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
If Bluetooth is connected to a handset, it'll list that handset under devices and with the word "paired" over to the right. I can get my phone to pair with but my car's hands-free and my Jabra headset, but it has to be repaired every time I leave the car or reactivate the headset.

If you looked at the car post, I posted a link to the Apple support discussions about Bluetooth issues, and it pretty clear other people are having problems as well. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
One thing working for me so far: I paired my headset and car, then restaarted the phone, and now it seems to stay paired. It even displays the name of my headset.

If you can't pair, restart your iPhone and try again. When you do pair, restart again.

Hope this helps.

crom8i3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
LA, CA, USA
bluetoothsf5.jpg

I just figured out how to take screenshots...

This is what I get when I turn bluetooth on and my jabra is powered up ready to pair and sitting on the table 6 inches from it...

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
Same issue here, or at least similar. My Jawbone 2 can be found and paired simply enough, but then whenever I turn the jawbone 2 off, like, say, after a call, and then turn it back on later, nothing happens. I have to go into settings, unpair and repair with the headset, and then it works again. This is a pretty huge bug. Has anyone found a fix?

UPDATE: Cycling power to the iPhone immediately after the headset was successfully paired seems to have done the trick. Thanks for that tip, lets hope it stays that way.

macnewbie75

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
A possible solution for plantronics 520

I might have a solution. I was having the same problem and figured I must be doing something wrong. So, I reread the plantronics guide and realized I was.

After you enable bluetooth on your iphone, you then need to turn on the bluetooth so it can be discovered.

I thought I was doing this, by pushing the call button and holding.

The key here is that you need to push and hold the call button long enough that the light flashes blue then red, then blue, then red.....

Before, I was not holding it long enough and was not getting the blue/red flashing. Was just getting the regular blue light. It needs to be flashing back and forth to be in pairing mode.

I don't seem to have an issue when I turn it off and back on.

Hope this helps!

crom8i3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
LA, CA, USA
I might have a solution. I was having the same problem and figured I must be doing something wrong. So, I reread the plantronics guide and realized I was.

After you enable bluetooth on your iphone, you then need to turn on the bluetooth so it can be discovered.

The key here is that you need to push and hold the call button long enough that the light flashes blue then red, then blue, then red.....

Before, I was not holding it long enough and was not getting the blue/red flashing. Was just getting the regular blue light. It needs to be flashing back and forth to be in pairing mode.

Hope this helps!

I feel stupid now...it works for me now. I just wasn't holding the button on my jabra long enough. And upon further reading my jabra quick start manual says to wait to go from like green to purple to red or something like that. Completely overlooked it. Thanks macnewbie!!!

cshuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems! I have the Plantronics 510 headset and my iPhone just sits there searching for the device after I've followed Plantronics instructions for getting it in pairing mode. I even held the buttons in longer too, like some mentioned to see if that changed anything, but it didn't.

Kind of sucks for me if I can't get this paired, as I have such crappy reception in the apartment and won't be able to answer calls if it doesn't pair. (For some reason, if I don't touch the phone, the reception stays fine, but the second I pick it up to answer, reception drops fast. Leaving the phone sit and not touching it while I use the headset works for me, or it did on my last non-iPhone phone)

carolj12

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
520 works for phone but not for audiobooks and music

I paired my 520 and it works fine for the phone. But it doesn't work for music or audiobooks. Is there any way I can use bluetooth for audiobooks (first priority) and music (second priority)?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

Hope this helps!

Wow, it worked! Thanks a lot! I thought I was holding it long enough but I guess not. :D :D

petaloudaki

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Same issue here, or at least similar. My Jawbone 2 can be found and paired simply enough, but then whenever I turn the jawbone 2 off, like, say, after a call, and then turn it back on later, nothing happens. I have to go into settings, unpair and repair with the headset, and then it works again. This is a pretty huge bug. Has anyone found a fix?

Same problem here!! Everytime that I turn off the car kit or go away I have to do the whole process from the beggining. Unpair and pairing... Any other solution please??

mytimepass2002

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Guys,

I just FIXED my iphone bluetooth, all I did was a restore and that fixed it! so basically if you upgrade from 2.0x to 2.1 then that messes up your bluetooth (my guess).

Soon as I did the restore (using iTunes), first thing I did was go to General and test bluetooth. I tried searching for my iphone using my other phone (p990i) and THERE IT WAS!!!

Havent tested it with a headset, but I am pretty sure now that its 'actually' discoverable device it will pretty much work.

so upgrading firmware causes the issue, nuke and restore 2.1 fixes it :)

btw, I chose not to backup when it asked me (I only got the phone like 2 days ago so no need)

goodluck and restore it right away if u having bluetooth issues...

Aeyjay

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Plantronics 855 connectivity

I have a Plantronics 855 headset that shows paired, however it doesn't connect automatically. My 3g iPhone is Jail broken and running on firmware 2.2.1. Has anyone been able to solve this issue other than re-pairing the phone and the headset.

FelloIphoneUser

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Me too

I feel stupid now...it works for me now. I just wasn't holding the button on my jabra long enough. And upon further reading my jabra quick start manual says to wait to go from like green to purple to red or something like that. Completely overlooked it. Thanks macnewbie!!!

I bought one a few years a go from garage sale so i had no manual but i have been looking for 2 days to try to get it to work. thanks so much
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.