Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I've looked for hours and cannot seem to find.
the steam works on windows media player:

mms://adams.wm-live.abacast.com/.... and so on.

can someone help please

EricP42

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
possible answer to your problem...

There is an app called "Tuner" on page 2 of the music section in the app store (viewing from iTunes, it may be different when on the iPhone). Its $4.99 and it says you can "Listen to thousands of internet radio broadcasts right on your iPhone...or add you own streams..."

I hope this answers your question. I am not completely sure if it will work how you want it to because I dont have the app (or an iPhone...yet) but I have looked at nearly everything in the app store in anticipation of getting mine.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
There is an app called "Tuner" on page 2 of the music section in the app store (viewing from iTunes, it may be different when on the iPhone). Its $4.99 and it says you can "Listen to thousands of internet radio broadcasts right on your iPhone...or add you own streams..."

I hope this answers your question. I am not completely sure if it will work how you want it to because I dont have the app (or an iPhone...yet) but I have looked at nearly everything in the app store in anticipation of getting mine.

You are right but "Tuner" Plays predefined streams which are listed there, but I was looking for an app that you can input the stream link such as:

mms://adams..... etc. Besides an app store is there another way to get this stream played?

ViRGE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
You are right but "Tuner" Plays predefined streams which are listed there, but I was looking for an app that you can input the stream link such as:

mms://adams..... etc. Besides an app store is there another way to get this stream played?
Tuner can play custom streams, but only those that are Shoutcast compatible; MMS obviously is not (plus it's probably WMA). For the moment you're SOL.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Tuner can play custom streams, but only those that are Shoutcast compatible; MMS obviously is not (plus it's probably WMA). For the moment you're SOL.

I'm surprised how an iphone is not natively capable to do such a simple thing. the basic nokia phones can handle this stream. Isin't there an app that is in the works. Has anyone tried this or even requested this.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Is there an alternate way to play those streams. Someone please help. I basically got the 16gb mainly for streaming web radio. $30 a month and this still can't do a simple stream

ViRGE

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I'm surprised how an iphone is not natively capable to do such a simple thing. the basic nokia phones can handle this stream. Isin't there an app that is in the works. Has anyone tried this or even requested this.
Someone would need to license some tech from MS to make it happen. Not that it's impossible, but at the same time there's not a lot of stuff that's in such a proprietary format.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Someone would need to license some tech from MS to make it happen. Not that it's impossible, but at the same time there's not a lot of stuff that's in such a proprietary format.

I don't think a license would be necessary as Apple's quicktime player can handle this. (I think). Besides there is an app on the app store "Tuner" that plays shoutcast streams which is also proprietary.

Even if we would like to go the route to license a tech, how would we begin. Is there a contact?

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Also has anyone tried ootunes to see if it can play mms protocol streams. I'm surprised that a year has passed and this has not been requested.
Someone please help.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I'm pretty sure a windows mobile device should support WMA out of box, but unfortunately, even a Mac computer does not because of licencing.

An ideal solution would be that people STOP STREAMING M$ FORMATS!!! Why do they keep using that? I get that it's a nice format and that a lot of people can view it no problem, but there are lots of open formats that are easliy streamed as well. It's so annoying to see streaming WMA and WMV out there.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Can someone please post on their expert guidance if it is possible to have an mms:// stream (rtsp) on the iphone. I've looked around soo much to no avail. I believe the corecodec player would probably handle it but its not out yet for the iphone.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
bump: any one please got this to work. I really have been looking for it for quiet a while. Really am looking forward.

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Not sure if it fits your needs but orb.com will stream mms to your iPhone. Works for me when streaming XM from my Mac at home running vmware.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Navigates,

You can bump this thread every several days, but it won't help the fact that you are trying to stream a very proprietary format. Most Mac developers don't exactly like Microsoft's proprietary technologies. What you can do, is as often as you go and bump this thread, spam the stream you want to listen to and get them to use a more widely used format.

This isn't iPhone's fault, or even developers, it's just that you want to use a very proprietary format.

I take my money and ad listening ears to stations who don't use MS's format.

I use Tuner, it works very well, and yes it uses custom streams, just not WMA streams.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Navigates,

You can bump this thread every several days, but it won't help the fact that you are trying to stream a very proprietary format. Most Mac developers don't exactly like Microsoft's proprietary technologies. What you can do, is as often as you go and bump this thread, spam the stream you want to listen to and get them to use a more widely used format.

optical, I absolutely don't have any intention to spam this place, however I just want to find out if there is any App that can play that stream since I checked the App store today and saw quiet a few newly listed Radio Apps. I do know that there is an upcoming player that can handle the stream that I like to listen to even though its Microsoft's proprietary.

Besides I can't do anything to make the radio switch to another format. I've tried that route too.

unfeomateo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
When I'm at work I like to listen to rock1053.com but when I get up from my desk I have no way to listen to the mms stream on my phone. So heres what I had to do.

First I downloaded URLsnooper2 and ran it. Then I went to rock1053.com loaded the stream and checked back in URLsnooper to get the mms url. I had to use URLsnooper because the mms stream url is hidden.

Then I added the "Nullsoft Shoutcast" plug-in to winamp

Then I installed "SHOUTcast DNAS" to output a shoutcast stream that Tuner can play.

So If I add the mms url from URLsnooper into winamp and configure the plugin to work with SHOUTcast DNAS then I can listen to my stream in Tuner. (Each program should have instructions on how to set it up)

This works for me since I have a computer to stream from but I guess your out of luck if your on the road and didn't set up the shoutcast stream ahead of time.

I should mention I do this on a PC. I don't currently know the process to setup a shoutcast stream on the mac.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
When I'm at work I like to listen to rock1053.com but when I get up from my desk I have no way to listen to the mms stream on my phone. So heres what I had to do.

First I downloaded URLsnooper2 and ran it. Then I went to rock1053.com loaded the stream and checked back in URLsnooper to get the mms url. I had to use URLsnooper because the mms stream url is hidden.

Then I added the "Nullsoft Shoutcast" plug-in to winamp

Then I installed "SHOUTcast DNAS" to output a shoutcast stream that Tuner can play.

So If I add the mms url from URLsnooper into winamp and configure the plugin to work with SHOUTcast DNAS then I can listen to my stream in Tuner. (Each program should have instructions on how to set it up)

This works for me since I have a computer to stream from but I guess your out of luck if your on the road and didn't set up the shoutcast stream ahead of time.

I should mention I do this on a PC. I don't currently know the process to setup a shoutcast stream on the mac.

Great Tip. I'll try it out !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.