Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide if its worth it to devote some training time to qualifying myself as an iPhone developer? I've been a developer for 22 years, the first 10 on Mac Classic, the last 12 on Java/J2EE. I've got about six months experience developing for OS X, so I know the basics such as ObjC, XCode and Interface builder.

The thing I'm wondering about is are you guys getting enough paid work to make this worth my while?

Thanks

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
From everything I've heard, iPhone developers have way too much work right now. But there's also a lot of people who claim to be developers who are not.
I think if you produce a project app of what you can do, and its good, you'll be able to find work easily.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
agreed. from what I've heard it's in high demand, and low supply. Hard to saw how it will look in a year or two, but from all signs, it appears to be a growth market.

arn

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
It's hot at the moment, but I definitely see it cooling off in a major way soon. I think you can look at Mac development as an example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.