Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I've been toying around with the Maps app on my new 3G, and have noticed some serious issues with the accuracy when grabbing my location...

See the map below? I'm where the bright red dot is. The iPhone keeps telling me I'm where the bright green dot is. That's a difference of ±380 miles.

Picture%201%282%29.png

Has anyone else had an issue with glaring issues with accuracy? It's making me think there might be a problem with my iPhone.

And the really scary thing is that the place it keeps pinpointing me at is where I used to live! :eek:

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
No issues here but the GPS is a JOKE!!!!!!!!
Map does not reorient and dot often goes off the screen without refreshing?? Come on

I've been toying around with the Maps app on my new 3G, and have noticed some serious issues with the accuracy when grabbing my location...

See the map below? I'm where the bright red dot is. The iPhone keeps telling me I'm where the bright green dot is. That's a difference of ±380 miles.

Picture%201%282%29.png

Has anyone else had an issue with glaring issues with accuracy? It's making me think there might be a problem with my iPhone.

And the really scary thing is that the place it keeps pinpointing me at is where I used to live! :eek:

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006

Picture%201%282%29.png

Are you inside or outside when doing this? GPS does not do well inside. When I am outside, the GPS is dead on and comes up quick.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Both inside and outside.

I've tried in a few different locations, but I'm not going back to the Apple Store until Wednesday.. I'll hope I can find it works somewhere, but SRSLY? Almost 400 miles out? Yeesh. :rolleyes:

SteveMc

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
So far, it seems solid enough - within 25-30 feet from what I've been testing so far.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...See the map below? I'm where the bright red dot is. The iPhone keeps telling me I'm where the bright green dot is. That's a difference of ±380 miles...
Wanna choose your hardware? No chance, you must use the hardware Apple choose to let you.
Wanna choose your service provider? No chance, you must use the service provider Apple choose to let you.
Wanna choose where to live? No chance you must live at the place Apple allocate you!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Wanna choose your hardware? No chance, you must use the hardware Apple choose to let you.
Wanna choose your service provider? No chance, you must use the service provider Apple choose to let you.
Wanna choose where to live? No chance you must live at the place Apple allocate you!

congrats on your humour, as usual :p

Scary thing is I did live there until two months ago! Maybe I should move back, so the GPS is right. :eek:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
For some reason the 'GPS' has chosen to override itself by using wi-fi based location.

The reason it thinks you're where you used to live is that the Skyhook database still thinks your wifi router's location is where it used to be.

I understand that their database will 'heal' itself after a week or two, based on it seeing other wifi routers in your area (if your new home hadn't been mapped, then you may be out of luck - I can't see a way on the skyhook website to get them to forget a previous entry).

vertigomhs

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
make sure wifi is off, and then let gps do the locating because if your on wifi it just uses that for some reason, mines is pretty accurate within 10 feet or so, says im in neighbors backyard.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Been fine for me when walking - tried it in the car with the misses and I get the feeling turn by turn will have problems as it doesn't seem to keep up as well as other GPS navigation hardware.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The GPS seems pretty accurate here, its Google Maps that sucks wind. Sometimes it keeps the dot centered, sometimes it doesn't and you have to manually move the map as you go. Its also extremely slow to download even the simple map. This map data is extremely simple and should download quickly even over edge speeds. The device waiting on parts of the map to download has cost me quite a bit of gas and time already missing exits. Why can't map data be cached? Many parts of the map where I live are also outdated. Whats the point of having real time map downloads if the maps are incorrect? Would seem to me they should be more accurate if you are downloading the info on the fly.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Map does not reorient and dot often goes off the screen without refreshing?? Come on

If you pan around the map and the dot goes off the screen, simply tap the locate button to lock back onto the dot again.

Maybe if it's 380 miles off you have something to worry about ... but the GPS works great, I don't know what you people are expecting. We aren't doing land surveying with this thing, it's a freaking cell phone. :rolleyes:

What do you expect, freaking Trimble?

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
My iPhone thinks I'm in...

Bangkok!

When I use 'locate me' in google maps it locates me to Bangkok, Thailand. I'm in the north of ireland :rolleyes:

It's been doing it for the past 48 hours, after working well initially. I've tried turning 3g off, using wifi only and vice versa....very strange!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
For some reason the 'GPS' has chosen to override itself by using wi-fi based location.

The reason it thinks you're where you used to live is that the Skyhook database still thinks your wifi router's location is where it used to be.

I understand that their database will 'heal' itself after a week or two, based on it seeing other wifi routers in your area (if your new home hadn't been mapped, then you may be out of luck - I can't see a way on the skyhook website to get them to forget a previous entry).

I loved your explanation, but unfortunately, FAIL ;)

- I'm not using any of the same hardware as I was in Scotland right now.

- The iPhone is the new 3G model, and hasn't had a restore from my previous iPhone, so isn't aware of the previous hardware setup I had.

While I can't exactly understand why it chose my previous home as the location to pinpoint me (there really isn't ANYTHING on that phone that could tie me to that place), I've noticed the problem seems to just be with certain areas inside and *around* our house here. Big trees or something.

Today I got the first chance to test properly outside the area, and it was freakishly accurate.

/me is happy now :)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I loved your explanation, but unfortunately, FAIL ;)
G*ddamn! :p
/me is happy now :)
What, even though you've ruled out the plausible but incorrect reason (skyhook wifi screwup)... and the only reason you're left with is some obscure MI5 / alien conspiracy?

"When you have eliminated the impossible, what is left, no matter how unlikely, is the truth." - Sherlock Holmes/Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

:D

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
I've been using the GPS on my phone since Friday and it has been so accurate...so much better than the previous locate functionality.

However, I was at a friend's house last night and she asked to see my phone so I tried to show her the GPS functionality. I was ready for it to lock in on her house, but the blue blip settled about 3 blocks from where we were. After a couple of minutes, it started flying around the intersection near her house. Every once in a while it would settle on her house, but then would start flying around again. It never did settle down on her house. Any idea what would cause this?

csupinski

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Cape Canaveral, Florida

If you touch the icon on the left lower corner when the blue dot moves off the screen it will make dot appear in the middle of the screen and move with you. The location service (weather triangulation or GPS) works better then anything I've had. I used it yesterday and it was to the foot accurate.

steveapp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I have had a similar problem with google maps on a windows smartphone, just relying on the cell towers for approx location, when near a mast just east of my village in North East England the map jumps telling me im in Madrid. I suspect that the individual mast is registered as an incorrect location and hence it things im in Madrid. If the iPhone initially relies on that for fast satelite reception which is how I understand it works then it probably wont get a signal as its not where it thinks relative to the satelites, hence the distance.

If im right any other devices that use this method would give the same error - and if you move to a new location a few miles away say, then you will probably find the right location. I did wonder if there was a web site to report these glitches to google, but I was too lazy to search ;-)

monkeytennis

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
When I'm at home in Battersea my iPhone likes to think I'm locationed a couple of miles from Taunton, in Devon.

However at work, inside and presumably just using the WiFi nodes to navigate, it gets it spot on, right on the corner of Paul and Scrutton Street in Shoreditch.

mrparis

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Bangkok!

When I use 'locate me' in google maps it locates me to Bangkok, Thailand. I'm in the north of ireland :rolleyes:

It's been doing it for the past 48 hours, after working well initially. I've tried turning 3g off, using wifi only and vice versa....very strange!

Having exactly the same issue. Also in the North of Ireland and GPS tells me I'm in Houston. It did work initially very well, but now can't get the thing to tell me I'm anywhere else but Houston Texas.

Apart from that, extremely happy. 3g working well, wifi excellent and batterylife (kinda) ok.

All happy apart from the GPS problems.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
i never get a gps signal, howver before i upgrade the iPhone always thought i was about 60 miles south of where i was. Hopefully time will correct this.

john9876

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
My GPS generally works fine (in central Scotland so far) but for some reason inside Glasgow Airport it insisted that I was in Gdansk.

Just before going inside the building and after leaving it located me no problem.

I guess it wouldn't get a GPS lock inside the building so it'll be working on cell towers and/or the WiFi database. I wonder whether they have micro-cells inside the building which confuse the a-gps, or whether there was a Russian with a laptop nearby?

You'd think perhaps the firmware or Google Maps could incorporate some sort of sense-check so that after tracking you around one part of the country for a while it doesn't suddenly try to place you 1,400 miles away a minute later?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.