Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsjoemie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Hi,

While i was using AIM app through 3G, I noticed the iPhone 3G 8Gb became very hot. Similar like having a macbookpro on your lap. I was wondering what was going on.

Then all of a sudden, I got a black screen with a yellow triangle sign with the text: Temperature - Iphone needs to cool down before you can use it.

I could slide to do emergency call only...

Did anyone had a similar experience?

I was only using 3G for 10 minutes !

I cannot believe this.

djwobble

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Hi,

While i was using AIM app through 3G, I noticed the iPhone 3G 8Gb became very hot. Similar like having a macbookpro on your lap. I was wondering what was going on.

Then all of a sudden, I got a black screen with a yellow triangle sign with the text: Temperature - Iphone needs to cool down before you can use it.

I cannot believe this.

You've got to be kidding me man...

tsjoemie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
I am not kidding at all, I will try to simulate again and will take picture of the screen. I tried to screencapture it but it didn't work.

I am using a mCase - Protective Leather case for iphone 3G....

movielover21

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2007
US
Hi,

I cannot believe this.

That is insane. You might have a defective phone, trying getting it replaced.

Good luck!

PS: Do I hear iPhone coolers in the future... :)

tsjoemie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
@movielover: i think it is defective, its not charging anymore now.... :mad:

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. You should get a prize for being perhaps the first person to ever see that warning message.

tsjoemie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
@ubersalad: thanks but no thanks
@intheair: i assume that those case makers didn't have any time to test out how hot the iphone gets covered with those kind of thick cases

update: it looks like the iphone is charging again

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
If you've restored it and are still having problems I'll put £10 on it being a faulty battery. If it is, then be careful. Those things can go 'pop.'

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
use your iPhone intensively without the case and find out if it's faulty, just like computers it does have a lot of elements, could the motherboard be faulty?the ARM?
good luck, let us know what happens
btw, if after letting it cool down, charge, give it some time yet again, use it real hardly and if it gets too hot take to an Apple store, or wherether you bought it, Belgium..Vodafone?

EdLee

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Take a look at the User Manual. Apparently, this is a normal function of the iPhone. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_User_Guide.pdf

p131

iPhone Is Too Warm

If the interior temperature of iPhone 3G exceeds normal operating temperatures, you may experience the following as it attempts to regulate its temperature:

• iPhone stops charging
  • display dims
  • weak cellular signal
  • temperature warning screen appears

Important: You cannot use iPhone while the temperature warning screen is displayed except to make an emergency call. If none of the above measures succeeds in lowering the internal temperature, iPhone automatically goes into a deep sleep mode until it cools. You cannot make an emergency call when iPhone is in this mode. Move iPhone to a cooler location and wait a few minutes before trying to use iPhone again.

Zathu

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Maryland
This happened to me today with a replacement white 3G I got from Apple yesterday. I was in the car, it was charging and playing music through a Griffin AutoPilot while using GPS with Google Maps when bam.. I'll see if this keeps happening.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
This happened to me today as well with a Griffin cable. Was surprised to see the warning. It went into emergency mode. I turned the phone off for about 20 mins. It then booted fine and no problems since.

Oct 31, 2005
This happened to me on vacation, had the phone outside by the pool in the sun. I took it inside and placed it in the freezer for 5 minutes and obviously the error went away. I normally wouldn't do this but we were leaving for dinner, and I had to have a working phone in case one of our vehicles got lost.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
This happened to me on vacation, had the phone outside by the pool in the sun. I took it inside and placed it in the freezer for 5 minutes and obviously the error went away. I normally wouldn't do this but we were leaving for dinner, and I had to have a working phone in case one of our vehicles got lost.

I don't think it's a good idea to take your iPhone from a hot environment to the freezer like that. Sudden temperature changes could crack the electrical traces on the circuit boards inside.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
This happened to me today also. Yes it was hot in the car, but with my old phone I had left the 2G in hot cars the same way many times over the course of a year and never saw this. I guess we have to add overheating to the list of problems. :rolleyes:

oilrush

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
hi guys, sorry for bumping an old thread. Im a newbie and just bought a second hand iphone of craigslist, anyways im having this temperature warning problem.... i have left it off for hours and even tried putting in the basement (which is pretty chilly) for day... and yet i still get this temperature warning... anyone have any idea whats wrong at all?? has anyone heard of anything like this before? any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

mhoppe72

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
One thing after another

Well,
first the reception problem. Then the problem with display not turing off when you hold the phone up to your ear(cheek keeps hitting the mute button). Now an error message telling me the phone is too hot????? the phone was cold to the touch. freaked me out when i first saw it. fortunately error went away and phone turned on without a hitch. looks like a genius bar appointment though. come on apple!!!!

aamunchkin

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
Stuck on apple icon, then temperature icon!!!!

I have been having problems with my iphone for a few weeks now. First off, it keeps turning off on me randomly and will only turn on if I set it on the dock, even then it is stuck on the apple icon for a few moments. I have been leaving it on the dock just so don't have to deal with it turning off on me, but today when I went to check my phone I noticed it was on but on the top of my phone said "TEMPERATURE" and had a exclamation warning sign icon underneath. I am not sure what is happening with my phone. I did not drop it in water. The only thing I cant think of is that I dropped it once, but it wasn't a bad drop and it worked perfectly fine for me for days. Please help me! Even if you have a solution for one and not the other, it would bee most appreciated!

tesilential

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
I got the temp warning while streaming Pandora at the pool. It was hot as hell, but it still sucked cause we were jamming out :(

Also, bout 5 minutes ago, my phone was showing 250 megs free memory, instead of 350. All apps were closed.

I used system app, which told me maps was running.

With system open I now have 150 free memory.

For a test I opened RealRacing, and played the 1st race on the 1st circuit.

The gameplay was choppy and crappy. I check free memory, 27 Mb :(

I go back to game. Halfway through lap 2, my phone crashed. The screen froze, and the audio looped that moment endlessly, (really annoying).

I had to do a hard reset because it was thoroughly crashed, but now its working fine and shows 350 memory again.

The lesson to be learned is to not revive OLD ASS threads.

;)

PS. aamunchkin try a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.