Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Anyone have a idea why the Push email stops working after being idle for a bit? I receive new emails on my work pc, but then my iphone stops until I wake it up basically?

I am using Wifi at work, and home since it is available.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
I noticed this also.

I have a me.com account and setup with push.

But seems when im on wireless it does not push to my phone.

I need to do some more testing when i find the time.
I wounder if it is only being pushed when your on the 3g network

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I noticed this also.

I have a me.com account and setup with push.

But seems when im on wireless it does not push to my phone.

I need to do some more testing when i find the time.
I wounder if it is only being pushed when your on the 3g network

Good question...gonna test a little bit here and switch back to 3G to see if it works. I have Exchange and not using ME. I will let you know.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Problem is happening on both 3G and Wifi. It isn't receiving emails right away......even when it's away now unless I go into the email area.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
yha i just tried turning off wifii
and sending emailing again still nothing

I tried deleting my me.com account and reinstalling it on the phone
Still nothing

The only reason i bought a me.com account was for pushing.

And if its not going to push when the phone is idel then thats messed up.
will be looking for a refund

I have emailed apple about this waiting on a response.

Also any one know if the push is a true push as soon as it comes in it goes out or is it set to push every 2min or something like that.

just wondering if i am waiting long enough on my tests.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
yha i just tried turning off wifii
and sending emailing again still nothing

I tried deleting my me.com account and reinstalling it on the phone
Still nothing

The only reason i bought a me.com account was for pushing.

And if its not going to push when the phone is idel then thats messed up.
will be looking for a refund

I have emailed apple about this waiting on a response.

Also any one know if the push is a true push as soon as it comes in it goes out or is it set to push every 2min or something like that.

just wondering if i am waiting long enough on my tests.

It is a true push. Mine was working now it won't work anymore. No idea what is going on.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
yha nizmoz

I could of swarn it was working yesterday.

I wounder if its somthing on there side that push is not working today

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Im getting the same issue here too. I noticed it this morning, and I reset my phone and it worked for a few hours. I recieved an email on my desktop at 1:03, its now 1:15 and the phone is stuck on checking for email.

At the same time if I go to one of the pull accounts on the phone and hit refresh, it gets stuck on checking email also. I am also connected via wifi to my work network. Sounds like there is an issue with email on this new phone.

Sounds more like part time push as opposed to true push.

EDIT: I had to turn the phone off and then back on for it to unstick the checking for email. It then grabbed new emails for 2 different accounts.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Ok guys.

I have not done anything

I just went to lunch made a phone call came back to work.
And it seems to be pushing email fine now.

Just sent a test with phone in standby (screen black)
email got to phone under a min

has to be something with the apple servers...

FLKat

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Boca Raton
Same here...

I just sent email from my desktop mac to ALL of my other email accounts, AOL, Gmail, MobileMe, and Yahoo. Also sent the emails the other way from each account back to the mac. NONE of them push or fetch on my iPhone in either case. The mail shows up on the servers... but the phone is not getting them. For sure it must be something with the MobileMe site because they were all working this morning, and now they are not.

Ah, the joy of growing pains! LOL

aquarterof

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Similar problem...

MobileMe is pushing correctly for me, but my Exchange account behaves exactly as you describe above. I think it's the phone, not MobileMe. I'm on the 1st gen iphone, official 2.0 firmware.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
MobileMe is pushing correctly for me, but my Exchange account behaves exactly as you describe above. I think it's the phone, not MobileMe. I'm on the 1st gen iphone, official 2.0 firmware.

Right. MobileME has nothing to do with Exchange. Something is wrong with the phones. I tried it this morning again, it stopped working again. But I had a calendar appointment that went off after a little bit, and it woke the phone up, it received the emails, etc. Then once that happen, it's working again. lol

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I had the same thing this morning--phone on all night charging.

This morning I had no email (no fetch Gmail, no fetch Comcast, no push Exchange, no push MobileMe), which is unusual.

After getting to work and seeing email sitting in the inbox on the computer from overnight, verifying email at Gmail, I tried to sync and it just kept looking (pinwheel turning).

I had to power down completely (top button 2 seconds, then slide to power off) and restart. Then it grabbed all of my unread emails and sync the read emails.

So, far it is working, but it is definitely suspect.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007

This morning I had no email (no fetch Gmail, no fetch Comcast, no push Exchange, no push MobileMe), which is unusual.

After getting to work and seeing email sitting in the inbox on the computer from overnight, verifying email at Gmail, I tried to sync and it just kept looking (pinwheel turning).

I had to power down completely (top button 2 seconds, then slide to power off) and restart. Then it grabbed all of my unread emails and sync the read emails.

I started a new thread before I found this one and I am having the same issues. Unfortunately you will need to power off your phone every couple hours or so until a fix happens.

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I started a new thread before I found this one and I am having the same issues. Unfortunately you will need to power off your phone every couple hours or so until a fix happens.
That stinks.

So far, a few hours into my day it is still working...we'll see I suppose.

FLKat

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Boca Raton

Thank you for posting this! I was going nuts trying to figure out why my emails were not pushing/fetching. They were fine yesterday, then everything stopped. Granted there are still issues with MobileMe but at least I after powering down I was able to get my emails for now.

Thanks again! :)

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
That stinks.

So far, a few hours into my day it is still working...we'll see I suppose.

Same here. Still working. I turned off Wifi, since I think that might have been causing a problem.

Just so you guys know, you can do a hard reset by holding down the home button and power button on top till you see the apple symbol. It doesn't reset the settings or anything, it just reboots the phone. Per Apple this is better than turning it off.

julric01

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Same here - is it the phone or Exchange?

Mine seems to work for a while, then go to sleep. I'm also hearing the same thing from other users. It will stay active and yes at times it even pops up on my phone before it hits Outlook on my desk, but that only works for about an hour or two, then it will stop. I'll notice that I haven't felt a "buzz" in a while, check the mail on the iPhone and it's not updated for like an hour.

Once I'm in it again - then it updates and works again for a while.

Is this a setting on the Exchange side? Or is push just not really working?

Cuprous

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Im getting the same issue here too. I noticed it this morning, and I reset my phone and it worked for a few hours. I recieved an email on my desktop at 1:03, its now 1:15 and the phone is stuck on checking for email.

At the same time if I go to one of the pull accounts on the phone and hit refresh, it gets stuck on checking email also. I am also connected via wifi to my work network. Sounds like there is an issue with email on this new phone.

Sounds more like part time push as opposed to true push.

EDIT: I had to turn the phone off and then back on for it to unstick the checking for email. It then grabbed new emails for 2 different accounts.

I am having the same issue with my phone, except I am on EDGE and connecting to work's exchange server. The only fix I have found to reset the mail connection was to turn off the phone. Sometimes I can go for hours without an issue other times I have to shut the phone off a few times in an hour. Hopefully, this will be addressed soon.

cronked

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I'm having the same problem. I have the 3G and when I go into my push (Exchange) email account it sits there for a long time, like it is checking email or something. I can eventually exit but it takes a while. Also, I received 4 emails last night at 11:00 that were sent between 9 and 10.

Has anyone tried the Restore option in iTunes? I hear this installs a newer firmware (5A347) than the one that was shipped in the iPhone 3G (5A345).

If I do a restore, do I need to re-setup my email options, etc?

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008

Well, it is no longer working for me as of right now.

For the record, I have WiFi OFF and have completed a restore over the weekend and am running 5A347 firmware.

I went in to a fetch account and read an old message (which required it to grab that message from a server to display it). Once it grabbed that message, the rest of the messaged in other accounts (fetch and push accounts) flooded in.

It was idle for about 30 minutes.

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I was having this issue yesterday. I was in training all day and kept playing with it by sending myself email from both my Exchange and gmail accounts. It wasn't pushing and would only show new mail when I went into the mail app, then it would check for changes. Later at my second job it was working fine. Today it's been working fine. Not sure what it was. I know with my Treo on Verizon it would stop syncing and I'd have to do a soft reset. That's one of the reasons I got the iPhone, was tired of having to soft reset to get ActiveSync working again.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
The failure to pick up email isn't confined to push on MobleMe. I have the same problems with IMAP accounts (Gamil) and POP accounts. Sometimes all is well, but others, the mail is never fetched. This is with version 2.0 of the firmware on an original iPhone.

There is a series of threads in the Apple support formum describing the same problem from quite a few users. Turning the phone off and then back on again seems like a fix for most, but only a temporary one. The problems reemerge later. The other solution for those willing to do it is to restore the phone as a new phone and start all over again. As far as I can tell from those folks, that does permanently fix the problem. At least no one I've seen has reported back about a later failure.

This is really annoying. I began to have trouble when I Reset All Settings, which cured an iPod issue. I have deleted all the accounts and redid them, to no avail. I don't know what it means to restore as a new phone. At the very least I expect SMS messages to vanish, as well as the photos on the camera roll.

I'd really like to have a different solution, but no one here seems to have one and neither do the folks on the Apple forum. One post at the latter says an Apple support person says they are unaware of this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.