Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soundz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Hi,

I would like to know if SQLiteDB provided with the iPhone SDK provides some facility to sync data from a database server to the SQLiteDB.

Specifically, this is our scenario. We have a web application that's running on Oracle. Can we sync data from Oracle to the iPhone over the cellular network? If not Oracle, how about MySQL, MSSQL, etc...? Are there any 3rd party solutions?

If there's no sync'ing technologies currently available, would it be feasible to write our own sync'ing program?

Thanks,

Jimmy

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Depends on how much data you have going back and forth but it seem that writing your own would be the best approach so you only sync the stuff you need. Shouldn't be too hard.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Database syncing is NOT trivial if you want a 2 way sync. If it's just one way and the server always wins it's easy enough, but when you have a two way sync you have to consider collisions and that's where it becomes complex. It's best if you can find something to do this for you, but I don't know of anything off the top of my head that does it. You should also consider what interface you're going to use to manage collisions and such if you need to...

cleverapps

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Hi,

I would like to know if SQLiteDB provided with the iPhone SDK provides some facility to sync data from a database server to the SQLiteDB.

Specifically, this is our scenario. We have a web application that's running on Oracle. Can we sync data from Oracle to the iPhone over the cellular network? If not Oracle, how about MySQL, MSSQL, etc...? Are there any 3rd party solutions?

If there's no sync'ing technologies currently available, would it be feasible to write our own sync'ing program?

Thanks,

Jimmy

EntropyDB (http://code.google.com/p/entropydb/) has a replication mechanism but not for SQL servers like Oracle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.