Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
While at work, I used the preferences tool to try to setup to synch between my laptop and my MobileMe account. I get an error that says unable to connect, try again later and can not connect. I am assuming this is a port issue but can not find out any info on what ports are being used. Anyone have similar issues?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
While at work, I used the preferences tool to try to setup to synch between my laptop and my MobileMe account. I get an error that says unable to connect, try again later and can not connect. I am assuming this is a port issue but can not find out any info on what ports are being used. Anyone have similar issues?

It may not be a PORT issue. Connections problems have been happening to most of us. Did you try again when you got home on your home network? If it works there I would just try again when you get back to the office.

I do all of my MM Outlook Sync with my Work Computer (that is where my Outlook calendar and contacts are) but the Network is pretty much the same as my Home Network so that does not say to much.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
While in Mobile Me preferences, When I click on the Sync tab and check the box that says to sync with Outlook, I get the error message that saya that it is unable to register this computer fo syncing, please try again later.

I am using a pC, with Windows xp and Outlook 2007

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I gave up trying to use MobileMe on my Windows laptop, I can sign in, set up the preferences all fine, but whenever I try a sync it hangs up/crashes.

iPhone and MobileMe site are all syncing just fine other than a stupid 'sent items' folder that keeps appearing on both phone and site even after deleting it a billion times (not the proper 'Sent' folder btw)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
While in Mobile Me preferences, When I click on the Sync tab and check the box that says to sync with Outlook, I get the error message that saya that it is unable to register this computer fo syncing, please try again later.

I am using a pC, with Windows xp and Outlook 2007

Did you try ADVANCED - RESET SYNC DATA?

Do you see a list of computers? Does it make since?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Support (MobileMe preferences in disguise, which comes with iTunes)

Finally got it to work! Someone on an iCafe board suggested logging in with all lower case letters in my name and using "@me.com" in the username rather than without it. I tried that and it all works beautifully now.

Even syncs with Outlook fantastically as well.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I love MobileMe, it works mostly well for me......but only between my iPhone 3G and the website. For some reason it will only sync my bookmarks (safari) on my laptop, I can't get it to sync with my contacts or calendars. When syncing contacts MobileMe preferences gives this error message:

"dotmacsyncclient has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

I've tried to sync contacts to Google contacts, yahoo contacs, windows contacts and outlook contacts, they all give the same message.

When syncing calendars MobileMe preferences gives this error message:

"Calendars could not be synced due to inconsistent data.

Confirm that your computers data is valid, then reset Calendars on the MobileMe preferences on this computer."

I get this message when I am doing as it said, resetting the calendar.
I have also uninstalled/reinstalled 'Apple Mobile Device Support' and 'iTunes' and still no luck.

If anybody has any suggestions I'd be much appreciative.
It's not a life threatening problem as my iMac is due to arrive next week and I'm hoping all will be ok with that, it would just be nice if I could have the info on my laptop too, since it is supposed to work with PC's too.

*Repeated this in another thread, so I apologize if you have already read this*

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Unable to connect to MobileMe

I am running an WinXP laptop with Office 2007 inside my corporate firewall. I am unable to get the MobileMe Preferences control panel app to connect to the Apple servers. It just gives and error and suggest trying again later. I have removed/reinstalled iTunes and the mobile device support stuff, but it did not help.

What I can't tell is does this sycn application support a network proxy in the connection path? I will try again from home later when I am not on the company network and see if it will sync.

Anyone else have this issue?

UPDATE:

I tested at home with my laptop and it connected just fine. If I VPN to my work network, it fails. So, at this point, I would say that there is a good chance that the Windows sync is not going to work for anyone behind a non-transparent corporate firewall. Additionally, the Windows MobileMe Preferences applet "dropped core" repeatedly. It also did not give any indication of what progress it was making when it synced. All-in-all, it failed to live up to my expectations and needs.

The only good part is that I am using the "trial" and I can cancel that without losing any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.