Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phxbbrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
TouchXML is pretty slick. I found it to be an adequate replacement for NSXMLDocument. It's read-only: there's no serialization behaviors defined. It uses libxml2, so it should be nice and quick.

Otherwise, the recent releases included NSXMLParser, which might work for you if you just need a forward-only XML reader. It uses callbacks to notify your app about parsing milestones as it goes through the document.

Bill

fenrus110

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
NSXMLParser seems like a pretty useless class to me.

All it seems to be is bunch of HARD CODED if-else statements of comparing the element names.

My app originally used NSXMLDocument to receive xml response data that I looped through to fill up some NSDictionary's so I could put them inside UITableView -> Detail view.

I pretty much need to loop through the entire xml data set, which has at least 50 elements. If I were to use NSXMLParser, would I be expected to write

if ([element name isEqualToString:mad:"firstname"] {
currentString = [NSMutableString string];
} else if ...

50 times for both "didStartEelement" and "didEndElement"? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DenNukem

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Seattle
You can use libxml2. That's what I do.
It's C only (not C++ or obj-c) so you have to manage memory carefully, but in return you get real DOM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.