Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I just bought a wireless mighty mouse and it's been behaving erratically... Turn it on after a fresh boot it works fine, but after a while it's started to act incredibly erratic under both OS X and Windows XP (bootcamp)...

Anyone experienced the same thing by any chance? By erratic I mean the cursor movement doesn't correspond to the movement of the mouse itself - to the point where moving the mouse slightly left will send the cursor all the way to the right hand side of the screen, and stuff like that...

I can't quite put my finger on it atm, but there's definitely a point at which it goes from working perfectly fine to very erratic... will post back if I figure out what it seems to be...

Any tips or help would be appreciated! :)

fsck3r

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2005
I am having the same exact problem...it seemed to get better after I changed the speed of the mouse but then it starts doing it again..I am now changing my mouseing surface so I will see how that rolls out!

ShakeyBaby

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Hi Folks,
Just to let you know, I received a replacement mighty mouse direct from apple todays as I was having the same problem. Cursor randomly jumps to the far edge/corner of the screen. There doesn't seem to be a any particular movement that triggers this fault. And to my surprise the replacement mouse had exactly the same fault. This leads me to believe it's a software/driver issue? Apple have tried to find a solution but nothing as of yet. Even a total reinstall of MAC OSX 10.5.1 made no difference. Anyone had any better luck than me?

alangyssler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
Buffalo Grove, IL
Misbehaving mice

I've experienced similar problems lately with a Logitech MediaPlay mouse on an iBook G4 (1.2 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM). I tried an older Logitech LX-7, which exhibited the same problems. I tried both mice on a PC at work, and neither had any issues. Previously, I was using Teleport to do network keyboard and mouse control, but have since turned that off, with no improvement. Similarly, I turned off USB Overdrive, which didn't help the situation any, either.

From my results, I can only conclude that it is a problem with the computer, not the mouse. But how can this be fixed? I can't stand it!

I'm going to try a wired mouse, and see if that gives me any troubles. Hopefully not, because this is making my computer nearly unusable for graphic design.

Eric1285

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
If you guys are having problems with your Mighty Mouse, just take it into the Apple store. I took mine in because the scroll ball would occasionally get stuck (easily fixed by cleaning) and also because one of the plastic pieces inside had snapped and was floating around making noise. The Genius just took my mouse and handed me a brand new one.

Dasha

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Hi to all the other unhappy M.Mouse users.

Yes I have the same problem of the cursor jumping about the screen with my corded (block of soap) mouse. It happens not on startup when cold but after the computer (a 20" Imac) running "Leopard" heats up.

I have tried cordless Logitech mice, both Blue tooth and micro USB all with the same result. I know it's not the mice as I have tried them on a Windows PC without any similar problems. This to me then seems to indicate the OS or is it the computer that is causing this.

Has anybody had the same happen on a "Tiger" OS ??

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
North London
Corrupt mouse driver in OSX ?

This happened to me after installing a Samsung printer driver, I tried another wired mouse and it's doing the same thing.

It appears to be a software issue. I don't know what to do apart from book it in to the genius bar and lug it all the way down there (its a 24" intel imac).

It's doing the weirdest things.. it seems to skip back to the same(ish) position on the screen, jump sporadically around by 50 pixels or so, highlight text, and occasionally pop the context menu up, it even just went and closed twitterific then created a new folder on my desktop without me touching the mouse!

Oh, and I turned bluetooth off as I thought it might be someone in the office downstairs.. so it's not that.

In the meantime I'm going to plug it in to my mbp and use Teleport (by Abysoft) to control the misbehaving little rascal.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pete.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I’ve had two Bluetooth mice, the first a Bluetake and the next a Logitech. Both were unsatisfactory. I learned my lesson and went back to a cheap Logitech optical mouse with a USB connection. My Bluetooth mouse problems ranged all the way from the Bluetake not connecting at all to my computer’s Bluetooth, to the Logitech Bluetooth mouse’s cursor jumping erratically or lagging behind mouse movements. I still carry the Logitech in my computer bag but I can’t see using it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.