Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
So, heres the tale of woe and regret I must spin for you first:

I collected baseball cards when I was growing up. I collected many highly valued cards that existed during the late 80s and early 90s. All the good ones were stored in sleeves in a nice binder.

I stopped collecting during middle school. When I went to high school, I moved from MA to FL and left the cards behind. Safely under the stairs in a few boxes that also contained all of my pirate legos (worth alot more since the whole Pirates Diznee crap).

A year or so ago, a pipe burst and flooded this area of the house. My cards did not fair well. Actually, Im only going on what my dad told me, as he just threw everything out without looking. There goes my "nest egg" from my childhood.

On a side note, he also pitched 90% of my legos...which I highly prized. Still had the instructions and everything. If it was part of the Pirate lego set of the 90s, I had it (except that gigantic red sail ship, too $$$).

So, now Im out my baseball cards and legos. Sigh.

Fast forward to about last week. I have been moving alot of my "junk" from my moms house here in FL into my apartment. No need to keep her place as a storage center.

Within one of the boxes was a single cardboard box sleeve filled with baseball cards. Dont know where they came from or the reason for them being separate from the flooded collection. In any case, these cards are more than super mint. They are brand new. Havent seen the light of day in 18 years or so!

Going through them with my mom, a baseball stat freak, we found a good hundred of "Names Ive Heard of" and about a score or so or ones that have to be worth at least something (Sammy Sosa from 1991? Numerous Hall of Famers etc)

Though, now with the internet...and no baseball card stores (who'd rip me off im sure) around...what the hell do I do with them now?

Where do you find pricing? (Though, cards are only worth what people are willing to pay) Where do I even begin to let the world know what I have?

Baseball cards and their allure, elude me at my age...and getting rid of them almost as much.

Anyone have any experience?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Beckett still releases pricing guides every year (just did a quick google search). Having not bought baseball cards in about 15 years, I can't really say how good of a pricing guide it's considered in the hobby, but it's a start.

As far as selling them? Ebay my friend.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Beckett still releases pricing guides every year (just did a quick google search). Having not bought baseball cards in about 15 years, I can't really say how good of a pricing guide it's considered in the hobby, but it's a start.

As far as selling them? Ebay my friend.

Beckett is the best place to start for pricing. You can subscribe to their site and get pricing right on the internet. They are usually pretty actuate.

As for selling, Ebay is about your only option with a small collection. If you have a lot of cards/collectibles, then sign up for a card show. You can find them at malls pretty often. I've even seen a local firehouse sponsor one.

mwchris

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Kentucky
So, heres the tale of woe and regret I must spin for you first:

I collected baseball cards when I was growing up. I collected many highly valued cards that existed during the late 80s and early 90s. All the good ones were stored in sleeves in a nice binder.

I stopped collecting during middle school. When I went to high school, I moved from MA to FL and left the cards behind. Safely under the stairs in a few boxes that also contained all of my pirate legos (worth alot more since the whole Pirates Diznee crap).

A year or so ago, a pipe burst and flooded this area of the house. My cards did not fair well. Actually, Im only going on what my dad told me, as he just threw everything out without looking. There goes my "nest egg" from my childhood.

On a side note, he also pitched 90% of my legos...which I highly prized. Still had the instructions and everything. If it was part of the Pirate lego set of the 90s, I had it (except that gigantic red sail ship, too $$$).

So, now Im out my baseball cards and legos. Sigh.

Fast forward to about last week. I have been moving alot of my "junk" from my moms house here in FL into my apartment. No need to keep her place as a storage center.

Within one of the boxes was a single cardboard box sleeve filled with baseball cards. Dont know where they came from or the reason for them being separate from the flooded collection. In any case, these cards are more than super mint. They are brand new. Havent seen the light of day in 18 years or so!

Going through them with my mom, a baseball stat freak, we found a good hundred of "Names Ive Heard of" and about a score or so or ones that have to be worth at least something (Sammy Sosa from 1991? Numerous Hall of Famers etc)

Though, now with the internet...and no baseball card stores (who'd rip me off im sure) around...what the hell do I do with them now?

Where do you find pricing? (Though, cards are only worth what people are willing to pay) Where do I even begin to let the world know what I have?

Baseball cards and their allure, elude me at my age...and getting rid of them almost as much.

Anyone have any experience?

Just as everyone else has said, Beckett is the place to go for prices/values. Granted the next step is finding someone to pay that price, but I doubt you will have a problem.

Regarding selling, ebay is a good place to start. If i recall there is another auction site designed just for trading cards, but the name leaves me. During my undergrad I had many of friends that would buy cases of baseball and basketball cards at about $80-$100 a case just hoping to get one worth the purchase price of the case. They knew the stats of how many of each type of card where in each box, so they knew it would pay out, with the one big value card and several mid-value cards, and so on.

It is crazy no the card trading world. We used to get gum in the packs, now you get pieces of bats and jerseys.

Anyway, good luck.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I had something similar happen, I found some of my old baseball cards and had about 100 "players I've heard of" and also some Sammy Sosa from the early 90s etc.

I tried to sell them at collector stores, I tried to see what they would get on ebay, I even went to sports memorabilia shops. Overall the cards weren't worth crap. If they aren't rookie cards nobody really wants them.

In the end, I sold them at a garage sale along with about 10,000 cards I had collected over the years to a 10 year old kid and his dad for about $100. I figured they would have more fun sorting them than what I could get from any of the stores.

Sorry to disappoint, maybe a few of your cards are worth something.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a smallish collection of pretty valuable baseball cards dating between the 1940s-1990s stashed away at my parents' house...I went through a baseball card collecting mania in my early teenage years but by the time I graduated from High School I had lost interest. I collected a lot of Cleveland Indians cards, so I probably have a couple Manny Ramirez rookies in there. ;)

I'll probably get them out and sell them when I'm old and fat and am sending kids to college. Who knows, maybe they aren't worth all that much though.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Most late 80s and early 90s cards are not worth much due to mass overproduction. Some rookie cards, like you have said, may be worth something, but don't worry that the flood cost you your retirement or something.

Now those legos, otoh, THOSE were a prize.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Most late 80s and early 90s cards are not worth much due to mass overproduction.

That is an understatement....

Check ebay for the most current pricing on your cards. Beckett is good. I like ebay because it will give you an up to date price on your card. What the market will bear when it comes to that card. Sometimes it is pretty close to Beckett sometimes not.

I have a huge collection of cards from the late 80's to early 90's. Worthless with the exception of a few.

Not even going to touch the lego thing... :(

I collect both, so I know the pain.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I got a Deion Sanders card!

The LEGOS, really hurt. All those sets I collected, broke down and built again. Learning you could take off a Legomans arm, and put it into the sharks mouth, made for awesome offshore antics!

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I got all these really important collector cards from years ago that deal with stars such as Kidd, Bryant, Shaq, and others

That i havent touched in years and are in good shape

I bet they worth a lot of money

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Firstly - LEGO, not LEGOS. If you have many sets of LEGO you have lots of LEGO, not lots of LEGOS [/nazi]

There's a pile of folders up to my thigh at my folks place with my basketball cards from the 1990s including some in rigid plastic holders that I'm sure are worth a bit. Mind you since the internet exploded they're worth 50% of sod all now.

Might check out Beckett and see what it's all worth some day.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
I've got a TON of cards from the 80s, and 90s. My Mother collected them for me for some reason, when I was a kid. I have NO Idea what I have. I really had no interest in them. I should go through them one of these days.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I have a pretty good collection of baseball cards dating mostly from the late 70s-early 80s, when I was in grade school, plus a fair amount from the early 90s when I went through a bit of a buying kick while in college.

I recently looked up some of the values of my cards in a Beckett's guide and was pretty depressed at how little most of my cards are worth now. There was a pretty big baseball card bubble in the mid-to-late 90s, but it collapsed somewhere along the line. The only card I have of really significant value is a Rickey Henderson rookie card, and its value really dropped like a rock over the past ten years. No biggie, really: I'd rather hang on to all the cards and pass them on to my kid(s) if they end up being interested in baseball.

And I still have all my Lego pirate kits from the early 90s. :D

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I've got a signed MJ rookie card somewhere here. The last time I checked, its worth quite a bit. 3 digits? Maybe 4 if I'm lucky.
I've got a pretty good collection of old cards but I only went after the potentially valuable ones. Rookie cards, etc... who knows where they are though. Probably in a basement or storage locker somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.