Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you Pleased with MobileMe?

• No

Votes: 129 51.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 123 48.8%

• Total voters

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
It is so very difficult not to add more words to the poll to make it a loaded question.

Ignoring syncing problems it is very frustrating as now that i can't use iWeb i can't update my site... or more importantly my podcast which was the reason i just bought another Mac! No indication for when things will be back!

I just thought i would add another of my reasons for dissatisfaction:

People try and justify the problems by saying 'it is a new service they will have initial problems'

Well i say 'It is a service that has been forced on me, replacing a service that worked much better'

.Mac wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but it was kind enough to actually accept my iWeb sites and podcast!

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
It's been working pretty well for me - I'm pleased so far - I'm glad I'm using the trial first though ;)

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
No, i'm not pleased. There were 3 reasons why I wanted to get mobileMe. In no particular order:
1) Push Everything
2) Keep all machines in sync, its promised interoperability with Mac + PC + iPhone
3) File sharing

What I got:
1) well, you all know the story...

2) Machines don't really stay in sync when they don't push, plus there are general problems syncing with iCal & Outlook. This makes me mad, you think they would at least sync correctly!! Before anyone says, "it's working fine for me." Stop. It's not. Try syncing a subscription... you can't. Try syncing from Outlook... all sorts of problems there. Try deleting an email on your iPhone... ok it shows it's deleted on the phone, but it's still in the inbox everywhere else!!

3) File Sharing Delayed

This is far far far from Exchange for everyone else... If they don't fix this soon, I'm going to look into getting 'Personal Exchange Hosting' instead. I'm really hoping mobileme will work the way it was advertised eventually.

PS - Apple really needs to fill those open QA positions.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
interesting results so far, 50/50 on the poll, yet if you went by comments alone it would give the impression that the vast majority are pleased!

Still early days, it will be interesting to se if all us who are not pleased have already shouted enough and won't bother to post after voting no... lol... our spirit is being crushed!! :eek:

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
No.

All I want is push email and it doesn't work.

push to your iphone? or mac? mm has been pushing to my iphone since day one.

overall, i'm quite pleased with mm. i never felt that .mac was worth $99. but there's no doubt in my mind that mm is worth it.

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Would the people voting 'Yes' please explain in a bit more detail why they are pleased?

1) What aspect of this "service" are you pleased with?
2) What features are you using, and which features do you completely ignore?
3) From which devices are you accessing MoMe ? Mac? Mac + PC ? Mac + iPhone? All 3? Web interface only?

I'm having a really hard time understanding how anyone can be pleased at this point, so I'm just curious.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Would the people voting 'Yes' please explain in a bit more detail why they are pleased?

1) What aspect of this "service" are you pleased with?
2) What features are you using, and which features do you completely ignore?
3) From which devices are you accessing MoMe ? Mac? Mac + PC ? Mac + iPhone? All 3? Web interface only?

I'm having a really hard time understanding how anyone can be pleased at this point, so I'm just curious.

1. i love that all of my devices are kept in sync without having to do anything except enter data once. 20GB is a great amount of space for the price. Love the back-up. Once the ability to send links to people to download files is up, that will be amazing. but the biggest thing for me is having data pushed to/from my iphone. and syncing from my macbook is just fine for me, if i need the data pushed right away, it sure isn't too hard to press a button.

2. pretty much all of them. haven't used the gallery much yet, but i will.

3. i'm using mm to keep my mac and iphone in sync. i haven't set up the windows client on my work pc yet, but once i get a chance, i plan to. i use my macbook at work more than the pc, so it hasn't been a pressing issue. i do use the web app fairly often.

the push/sync functionality has been working since day 1 for me, so mm has always done the main thing i want from it. it's actually pretty easy for me to be pleased. it's doing exactly what i expected it to do- give me online storage and backup and keep all my devices in sync. everything else, which is quite a bit, is just gravy.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
push to your iphone? or mac? mm has been pushing to my iphone since day one.

overall, i'm quite pleased with mm. i never felt that .mac was worth $99. but there's no doubt in my mind that mm is worth it.

Push to my iPhone. Sometimes it teases me and works for a few minutes and then it just dies.

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
1. i love that all of my devices are kept in sync without having to do anything except enter data once. 20GB is a great amount of space for the price. Love the back-up. Once the ability to send links to people to download files is up, that will be amazing. but the biggest thing for me is having data pushed to/from my iphone. and syncing from my macbook is just fine for me, if i need the data pushed right away, it sure isn't too hard to press a button.

2. pretty much all of them. haven't used the gallery much yet, but i will.

3. i'm using mm to keep my mac and iphone in sync. i haven't set up the windows client on my work pc yet, but once i get a chance, i plan to. i use my macbook at work more than the pc, so it hasn't been a pressing issue. i do use the web app fairly often.

the push/sync functionality has been working since day 1 for me, so mm has always done the main thing i want from it. it's actually pretty easy for me to be pleased. it's doing exactly what i expected it to do- give me online storage and backup and keep all my devices in sync. everything else, which is quite a bit, is just gravy.

I should have also said, you have to be pleased with the service right now, not what it promises to provide. It's interesting you say it keeps everything in sync; Have you tried deleting an email on the iPhone? Check your webApp/other email clients afterwards... the email will still be in the Inbox everywhere else. This is a wide spread problem acknowledged by just about everybody. This doesn't happen to you?

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I just tried this and it worked. I did have to refresh the .me page

Deleted an email on my iPhone Inbox, refreshed MobileMe on my desktop and it worked. I also tried it the other way around, deleted on MobileMe web app and it deleted on the iPhone

Check your webApp/other email clients afterwards... the email will still be in the Inbox everywhere else. This is a wide spread problem acknowledged by just about everybody. This doesn't happen to you?[/QUOTE]

philamac

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
really? for me, webapp changes are pushed down to iPhone, but emails deleted on the iPhone always stay in the inbox.

I just tried it just to double check. I deleted an email on my iPhone, then checked mobileMe webapp, and the email was right there in the inbox. I checked the trash, and its there too! It's always done this.

[update] it seems that if I delete an email from the iPhone, the email is moved to the Trash folder on the iPhone. But on MobileMe, the email is copied over to the trash instead! leaving 1 copy in the inbox! thus making it look like it's not doing anything. Sounds like a MoMe "Core services" problem, or a iPhone 2.0 firmware problem. Here is a link to just 1 of the many posts on this problem at the apple discussion boards. http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7627713#7627713

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I should have also said, you have to be pleased with the service right now, not what it promises to provide. It's interesting you say it keeps everything in sync; Have you tried deleting an email on the iPhone? Check your webApp/other email clients afterwards... the email will still be in the Inbox everywhere else. This is a wide spread problem acknowledged by just about everybody. This doesn't happen to you?

yes. completely satisfied with the functionality i have right now.

it has been slow for changes in my iphone mail.app to be reflected on the web and my mac clients at times. not enough for me to hate mm, though.

Sophia

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Yes!

I love the @me.com domain name and I have not been having any problems, personally. Push works just great!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I am not at all happy with MobileMe. It has given me nothing but trouble whenever I try to use it... for example, I wish I could downgrade my storage to the standard level, but MobileMe (and .Mac, for that matter) offers no option to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.