Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogheadboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hi All,

Read a few posts about cracks already start to appear on the edge of the housing. The phone is only a week old (obviously) and was not dropped or pressed. Is it common?

Attachments

• DSC04429.jpg
    DSC04429.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 14,422
  • DSC04435.jpg
    DSC04435.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 22,534

dogheadboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
The phone is not mine. I order a white one, and suppose to it pick up on Monday.

NOW I'M NOT SO SURE.

As for the color. I think dirt in the crack make it easiler to be seen if it is white. So it could be as well happening for black too.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I recall someone spotting cracks on their white iPhone the moment he took it out of the box at home. When he went back to the store they accused him of dropping it and wouldn't exchange it or something.

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I recall someone spotting cracks on their white iPhone the moment he took it out of the box at home. When he went back to the store they accused him of dropping it and wouldn't exchange it or something.

Thankfully I haven't gotten my phone yet. I was planning on getting the white one and I wouldn't have even thought of looking for stuff like that when actually buying the phone in store. When I do get it (most likely this weekend), I am going to make sure there isn't any of that **** on it. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
hmmm I heard of a black one cracking when they put the headphone jack in but not on the white. Did you use a different jack? Don't worry Apple will understand if it gets worse and they will replace it :D just wait next month til everyone gets there phones

Also If you have Twitter I think the twitter Bird is trying to get out because it looks like an eggshell crack :eek: Oh no I just didn't!!! Waa Wa Waaaaa!

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
guys i have the exact same problem, I have never dropped it either. my crack is near the silent switch, im going to try and take it back tomorrow.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Is it just me or does the right pic look like the chrome has a dent in it right near the crack? Kinda seems dropped or something.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
They always said Black Don't Crack!

Anyways, I think people should not put their iphones in their back pockets and sit on them.

instig8r

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Me too

Cracks in my white one, too, and I did NOT drop it or sit on it. Apple had better resolve this quickly or it could get ugly. BTW, the white is BY FAR the nicest looking iPhone yet. But those cracks really show up bad, especially because the finish is so-far totally unscratched and as smooth as glass. (What looks like abrasions in the attached photo are actually just fingerprint smudges.)

Attachments

• iPhoneCrack2.JPG
    iPhoneCrack2.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 10,226

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I just noticed it today, with this thread. My white one has a barely noticeble crack on the bottom. Never dropped - damn, never even went out with it, I'm still waiting for the damn invisible shield to come.

instig8r

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Invisible Shield

I just noticed it today, with this thread. My white one has a barely noticeble crack on the bottom. Never dropped - damn, never even went out with it, I'm still waiting for the damn invisible shield to come.

Pretty sure any plastic laminate won't keep these from cracking, and from what I gather about the material Apple is using in the backs of the 3G, it won't be needed to stop scratches either. I have had mine since 8:15 AM on the 11th and there is still not one scratch on the "plastic" back. I suspect it is NOT plastic. Various rumors around the 'net point to a ceramic and crystal coating material combination that is transparent to radio waves yet REALLY hard. I can see fine scratches in the metal Apple logo, but NONE on the white part.

Looks like what it needs is a china cabinet, though. Belt clips and hip pockets need not apply.

Van Wildonher

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
I suspect it is NOT plastic. Various rumors around the 'net point to a ceramic and crystal coating material combination that is transparent to radio waves yet REALLY hard.

Pretty sure that they even said the back is plastic during the keynote about it.

instig8r

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Plastic

Pretty sure that they even said the back is plastic during the keynote about it.

You're right but maybe plastic in the generic sense. You've got to see this thing. Obviously you haven't been carrying one of these around for a week: NO scratches. That back (or at least the coating) is NOT plastic. Other evidence:

1. There was an Apple patent that was published a while back that WAS for a radio-transparent ceramic material for hand-held devices. You can look up the patent here: <http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20060268528.PGNR.&OS=DN/20060268528RS=DN/20060268528>

2. The guy who blends everything on YouTube could not get the back to blend:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxq90xmYUs> Notice the shot about 1:45 in.

It may not be crack-proof, but it IS some unique kind of material.

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
Uh, mine has a few minor scratches from that infernally tight Sena case. It does scratch. It's plastic. Plastic scratches.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
No doubt it scratches. It's not like the glass touch screen which won't scratch even with a razor. The back is a different story. I saw tons of scratches on the floor models' backsides. Don't put it in the same pocket as keys change or anything else metal or harder than plastic lol.

iPhone Pro will be made of titanium :eek:

reboad

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Finland
I'm glad my white iphone doesn't have any cracks, but it does already have some scratches since I don't have a case for it, and will not have any either. My mind is at peace with scratches.

Although, with the white you have to look for the scratches, not that easy to spot.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah I noticed the crack in mine about 4-5 days ago. I most certainly did NOT drop the phone... the crack pretty much appeared out of nowhere. I believe the crack is beneath the glossy coating on the plastic because I can't feel it. Here's a pic.

DSC_0159.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.