Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insanepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Mt. City, TN
Okay, so, I found a lot a stuff on how to unlock a file, and I know how to, using the get info window, but one of my apps, when I "get info", the checkbox is grayed out, and I cannot uncheck it. I've tried dragging it to the trash, and it won't do that either. I get a window that says that "file locked and cannot complete operation." I've tried the little "locked" app, and it didn't do anything. Permissions are read and write, and I'm the only user on the computer. Any ideas?

If this is already discussed, could I be directed to where? I looked for a good hour, here and on other forums, but couldn't find anything.

Kaliemon

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
If you want to delete the file you can try delete it using the Terminal.

Code:
sudo rm -rf Path_To_File

(Easiest way to get the file path is just to type "sudo rm -rf" without quotes and the drag the file to the Terminal window.)

Pres Enter

type in your admistrative password and the file should be deleted.

Hope that helps

You can also try this if you just want to unlock it

Code:
sudo chflags -R nouchg Path_To_File

insanepilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Mt. City, TN
I tried the terminal thing, but it asked for a password. I tried typing my system one, but nothing showed. I was hitting the keys, but no text came up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.