Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My laptop has the option of receiving 5 Ghz instead of 2.4... petvas, if I set my laptop to receive at 5Ghz instead of the default 2.4, then it should provide less interference yes?
I'm not too good on these frequency things lol... but I'm sure my controller disconnects even when the laptop is off (hence providing no interference).
Theoretically, could Sony release controllers which use a different frequency? (a long shot, as you mentioned that Bluetooth can use the whole spectrum)...

You could switch your laptop to 5Ghz but you should also do the same on your Wireless Router.I have tried that at home with my Airport Extreme and I got no drop on the signal of the Sixaxis Controller....

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
For those who have the problem with the controller, I got a new Playstation today and the problem doesn't exist. Get your console replaced and that will fix the problem... I hope you won't have to wait a lot.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I've been having a problem with my PS3 controllers that my resident PS expert can't help me with, so I'm turning to you guys.

More than half the time when I try to turn the controllers on, all they do is blink 4 lights continuously, and never "connect" to the console. As a result, most of the time, I am tethered to the console via the USB cord, because the flashy lights go away when I plug the controller in.

The only thing that seems to fix the problem so far is turning the console off (via the switch in the back) and then turning it back on. Only then will the PS button get the controller to assign itself a number and work properly.

This happens when the controllers have been charging and when they have been not charging, so I don't think it is a battery issue.

I have the recent 40GB PS3 and I have the Nyko BlueWave remote dongle plugged in. I leave the PS3 on pretty much all the time. I don't know if any of these things are of relevance, but may be, so I included them.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I had the same problem when I bought the console one year ago. A system update (I don't remember which one) completely eliminated the problem.

SrLANGuy

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Problem Solved!

My nephew had the exact same problem last year. He would press the PS button on a controller, the PS3 would power on, but all 4 lights on the controller would just keep flashing. He'd have to plug in the USB cable to get just the one solid light.

I tried several things before finally resolving the issue. It's been working perfectly for over 6 months now.

SOLUTION:

1. Power on the PS3.
  2. Connect a controller using the USB cable.
  3. Go to the "Settings" menu.
  4. Choose "System Settings".
  5. Choose "Restore PS3 System".
You'll then receive the following warning:

The PS3 system will be formatted.
All system settings will be restored, and all data on the hard disk will be deleted.
Do you want to continue?

<Yes> ____ <No>

WARNING: The hard drive will be reformatted and you'll lose all game save data and anything downloaded from the Playstation Store.
Be sure to backup anything important before proceeding.

zone10

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
ps3 controller problem

my controller only work for couple minutes every time i start up the ps3 and ends up dead later on even when the usb chord was connected. :mad:

CoastDude

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
I have the 40gb PS3, bought 12/07. I have the same problem and I'm just getting sick of it at this point. I'll try the reset option and hope for the best.

musick

Jun 3, 2008
Ok I had this same problem.

I registered to post what happened to me and how I got it resolved.

I bought a 40GB ps3 from Wal-mart on May 8th. I had saved for a while and the price drop helped me purchase it. I wanted to play GTA4 and COD4 (both great games)

Well every time I powered the system off for more than 2 hours (standby mode) when I went to turn it on w/ the sixaxis ps button wirelessly, the system would power up, the sixaxis 4 flashing lights would blink...and the screen would eventually tell me to plug the controller in the USB and hit the ps button. Which I did. Sometimes i had to do it twice because the system wouldn't boot up.

Then it would pair, and the ps3 would start up, and I could unplug the usb and it wokred fine. This even happened if I turned the system on with the usb already attached. I called sony, went though a) resetting the contoller with button on the back. b) restore default settings (which makes you re-pair sixaxis) and c) hard reset (turning the entire power off and holding the power button while switching on the main power and getting the two beeps.

None of this worked however, after 2 hours with the system in standby same thing happened. So I googled around, found this page...

I backed up my game saves, formatted the entire system. Same thing. I was fed up because the sony rep told me to narrow it down to take my sixaxis to another ps3 and see if it loses connection to another ps3. Bullcrap I shouldn't have to go to another ps3, that's a cop out.

So after debating to either call sony and demand a replacement or go back to Wal-mart (gotta love the walmart return policy. I decided I would go to wal-mart. Told them it was defective. They bring me a new ps3 from the back, so they exchange, and guess what...wal-mart has a promotional deal this week (June 1-7) ... after 45 minutes of confusion at the customer service counter, I walked out with a brand new ps3 and a $100 gift card for wal-mart because of a ps3 40gb promotional deal.

Hooked my new ps3 up, charged the sixaxis... put the system in standby overnight. Got up this morning and fired it up, and it synced right up. No problems at all.

Just posting this because it was driving me crazy..Sony would not admit anything and wanted to send me a box, ship my ps3 to them, and wait for a new one to come in the mail. Meanwhile I went to my retailer (something sony does NOT want you to do) and ended up with $100 and getting a non-defective unit.

I really think it's either the sixaxis controller that was defective...or the bluetooth antenna in the ps3... It looks like by researching online that it has only been the 40gb model.

Hope this helps someone.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
me too, 80GB

I've got the 80GB PS3, and I have the exact same issue with my Sixxaxis, DS3, and Sony Bluetooth Remote. I didn't have this problem until about 3 weeks ago, but now it seems to happen every other time I start up my PS3.

I'll try the paper clip thing next time it happens. Other than that, have to phone Sony I guess. Looks like (by using my iMac to search for nearby Bluetooth devices) there are 2 bluetooth phones in the apartments next to mine...would those interfere? cause I can't control my neighbours...:confused:

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
A Solution to the Controller Problem

I had similar problems, so I read the manual, which didn't help at first. Finally I pieced the solution together. I think this may solve some or all of the problems described herein. It solved my problem.

First of all, the wireless controller only charges when the green light is on. That means the PS3 has to be on. In my humble opinion, this is a stupid design decision. Why run the computer creating all that heat just to charge the controller? I suspect most people don't do this because it's counter intuitive.

When you do that, all the lights on the controller will flash—that means it's charging. After a while a single steady red light will appear. That mean you have a full charge. It doesn't take all that long.

If you don't know this, you can run down the battery and think the controller needs repair.

:cool:

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
One of mine did this, so i just reserved it as a Player 2 Controller, one day a friend dropped it about 4 Foot, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Anyway, Get a DS3, theyre far far better.

CoastDude

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Tried the reset option, didn't work. Charging the controllers has never been the issue, I have two and both get the disconnect with blinking lights regardless of charge levels. I'm done with this problem and will be contacting Sony to get a replacement PS3.

sH0TTy 24

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
I have the 40GB PS3 and i also am having the problems with the controller not wanting to sync with the system once it is unplugged. I bought the system not even 12 hours ago and already this is happening. The sixaxxis that came with the ps3 doesnt want to work when its unplugged, nor does the dualshock 3 that i bought today. it works fine when its plugged in but as soon as i unplug it, it just flashes n turns off. Ive tried pushing the reset button and every other possible way out there except formating the ps3. Maybe ill try that later since i dont really have anything on the ps3 right now since i just got it.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Things to remember about the PS3 wireless controller

This is a bit tricky if you don't know how it works.

(1) The sixaxis controller only works if its internal battery is charged.
(2) To charge the controller plug it into a cable. The other end goes in one of the slots in the front of the PS3. IMPORTANT: the front of the PS3 must be showing solid green only! Specifically, it won't charge if the PS3 light is off or red.
(3) The controller flashes to show its charging its battery. When finished it will either show a single light or no light.

For me, a single charge lasts about 2 days before I have to charge the controller again. Remember that the PS3 does not charge the controller when it's off. You have to have the PS3 on (solid green) to charge (a stupid design choice and counter intuitive if you ask me because you're running the hard drive when all you want to do is charge the controller).

:cool:

joseph2me

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
It has nothing to do with the battery Popa, I don't know why you respond twice with the same advice... unfortunately it's been happening to me as well, I have the 40 gig model, it plays fine then my controller will just shut off, I've tried resetting it, reconnecting it back to the ps3 but it just won't reregister, my battery if fine, because once i turn off my ps3 and restart it it works fine, but it's annoying and i lose progress in some games, it's gotta have something to do with the bluetooth I think.

I did try the ps3 reformat thing and so far it's seems to have worked, if you try just make sure you back up all your games.

sH0TTy 24

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
I noticed that when i had yellow dog linux 6.0 installed on the ps3 my controllers wouldnt connect wirelessly. To get them to work i went into the accessory settings in the xmb and reasigned the controller to number 2, 3, 4 , 5, 6 ,7 and then back to 1. Then to turn off the ps3 via the shutdown system in the xmb and then hit the switch in the back. I let it sit for a few hours and then hit the switch in the back and pushed the power button on the front. Once it booted up i plugged the controller in immediately after i received the press ps button message. After I pressed it, i removed the cable and it would work wirelessly. I didnt boot up yellow dog linux for 4 straight days and my controllers worked perfect during that time. Sure enough after i booted up linux, i had controller problems again. Then i decided to uninstall yellow dog linux and install ubuntu instead. I havent had any problems since my last post. Everything has worked perfect.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Controller Battery

I don't think solving the problem by restarting the PS3 proves it's not a low battery problem. All I'm saying is I had similar problems that I solved by understanding how the controller works. I'm only suggesting you think through the procedure, one which is not obvious in my opinion, and involves keeping the controller charged. Since my suggested procedure solved a similar problem it would seem unlikely it's not the general solution. But, of course, I could be wrong. :)

joseph2me

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
I don't think solving the problem by restarting the PS3 proves it's not a low battery problem. All I'm saying is I had similar problems that I solved by understanding how the controller works. I'm only suggesting you think through the procedure, one which is not obvious in my opinion, and involves keeping the controller charged. Since my suggested procedure solved a similar problem it would seem unlikely it's not the general solution. But, of course, I could be wrong. :)

it has nothing to do with the charge on the controller personally, after i reset the system it will play fine for hours and the charge is quite full, and I think the problem is more than just people don't know how to recharge their controllers lol. give people a little credit, don't assume the easiest answer is the correct one.

Lucy Brown

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
I've had my 40g ps3 for 8 months and it just started doing this yesterday. I bought a ds3 a week ago and thought it was the controller. It's not, the sixaxis does it to. It's not the battery both conrollers are fully charged and have charged them repeatedly to make sure. I dont have any other blue tooth device in my apt. Well actually I do my imac but it's not in the same room and this has never happened before. I'm thinking about trading my 40g for the 80g MGS bundle but thats gonna cost me 300 bucks. NOT real happy!

nikkicola11

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
Ahhh

I having this same issue, and hopefully I can shine a little bit of light on the matter. I have 2 siaxis controllers, 2 Rockband guitars, Rockband Drums, and a Rockband Microphone. Every few hours they ALL get disconnected at the same time while playing. (Same problem as everyone else, 4 blinking lights and only a hard reset will reconnect them). The interesting this is that the RockBand Guitars use wireless INFRARED (transmitted by USB dongle), the Siaxis controllers use Bluetooth and the Drums and Microphone are corrected directly to the system by USB. Also note that this happen when any of the controllers are connected to either a USB hub or directly to the PS3. This means I can deduce that it is NOT a problem with any of the controllers or the USB interface or the Bluetooth interface, my guess would be it has to be either a PS3 hardware or software issue. Also this happens while playing other games or just using the menus. After searching extensively I think my only recourse is to call Sony...any other thoughts?

KiLLaGoRRiLa74

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
Have you tried re-syncing the controllers? I had my controllers do that from time to time and if the syncing don't work then try resetting the controller(its the small little button in the back of the controller)

Try it out and tell me how it goes.

Bless

hey how do you re-sync the controller because ive tried reseting with the button on the back and that did nothing soo please help me

CoastDude

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
I having this same issue, and hopefully I can shine a little bit of light on the matter. I have 2 siaxis controllers, 2 Rockband guitars, Rockband Drums, and a Rockband Microphone. Every few hours they ALL get disconnected at the same time while playing. (Same problem as everyone else, 4 blinking lights and only a hard reset will reconnect them). The interesting this is that the RockBand Guitars use wireless INFRARED (transmitted by USB dongle), the Siaxis controllers use Bluetooth and the Drums and Microphone are corrected directly to the system by USB. Also note that this happen when any of the controllers are connected to either a USB hub or directly to the PS3. This means I can deduce that it is NOT a problem with any of the controllers or the USB interface or the Bluetooth interface, my guess would be it has to be either a PS3 hardware or software issue. Also this happens while playing other games or just using the menus. After searching extensively I think my only recourse is to call Sony...any other thoughts?

I talked with Sony and they agreed that it didn't sound like a problem with the controllers, USB interface, or the Bluetooth interface. They are sending me a prepaid box to send in my PS3 for repair or replacement.

jickopik

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Ps3 controller not working..

Ok. i had the same problem too, i have a 80 gig ps3 which i just bought two weeks ago. when i reseted the controller on the back nothing really happened, the four lights kept on blinking even if i un-hooked from the ps3. I reset my ps3 settings after resetting the controller, and it fix the problem. don't know what's the cause of it, since mine was pretty new. It said that i need to charge the controller, but I charged it for three hours and the controller is not connecting to the console.. anyways hope this helps anyone.. i'll post again if it happens.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Works but Needs Constant Charging.

I'm not having your problem, but it seems strange that I have to plug in the controller every night to charge it. My PS2 has a non-Sony wireless controller and it's lasted for over a year without changing the batteries. With the PS3 I can easily start getting the flashing of one light during a single session and by the end of the day all four lights are flashing, which means it's lost its charge and I have to plug it in. I have to plan my gaming around keeping the controller charged. This just seems like a bad design. :(

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I'm not having your problem, but it seems strange that I have to plug in the controller every night to charge it. My PS2 has a non-Sony wireless controller and it's lasted for over a year without changing the batteries. With the PS3 I can easily start getting the flashing of one light during a single session and by the end of the day all four lights are flashing, which means it's lost its charge and I have to plug it in. I have to plan my gaming around keeping the controller charged. This just seems like a bad design. :(

Mine last for over a week playing 5-8 hours a day, it seems like you got duds

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
hey how do you re-sync the controller because ive tried reseting with the button on the back and that did nothing soo please help me

Do you still have the USB cord that comes with the controller? hook it to the controller and to the PS3....that should sync it for you.

What happens when you turn on the controller?

Popa, it seems you have a damage controller....might want to have that checked out or buy a new DS3. I only charge my controllers once per week(if that)

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.