Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
I feel there is a problem with my home button on my iPhone. Its seems to me to be unresponsive sometimes when I press it. I have to always press it twice or press it down hard in order to get back to the home screen. I have used my other friends iPhones and I dont get that same feeling of unresponsiveness. Has anyone had this same problem or anything like it?

P.S. I have taken it to a mac genius and they said nothing was wrong......

omie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Is your home button "loose" (does it move a very little bit) or it is very tight?

omie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
yes, i think that is normal.

maybe try taking it to another apple store and ask them to replace it.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
ok cool. thanks i guess its worth a try. anybody else having this problem or know anything about it?

kramer147

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
having the same issue...

yeah i am having the same issue... this is the second iphone i have had (the first one had a hardware defect with the touchscreen) and now this one has a defect with the home button!!! however, i really didn't notice anything until the software update came out with all the double clicking on the home button... perhaps some iphones just can't handle the excess stress put on the home button with the double clicking... because i know at least for me i use that feature ALL the time. i am going to try to get to an apple store soon and talk to one of their reps about it, but i don't have much hope for anything miraculous to happen, after all it did take 5 service calls and a few swear words to get my first iphone replaced.... hope others are having better luck than i.

kramer147

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
update: so i went to the genius bar and was told nothing was wrong...

after a lengthy discussion with apple support i have a repair underway we'll see what happens... also over the past week i've had to push harder and harder on the home button to get it to work, double clicking functions are almost unusable now.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have the same problem. It's unresponsive and sometimes when I push it once, my speed dial comes up (I have that set for double press). I did a full system restore so I don't think it's software releated. I think I'm going to take it to the Apple store because this isn't working like it used to and my wifes doesn't act this way.

KIDLEEN

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008
Home Button Problem

Does Anyone Know Why I Am Having Problems With The Home Button. I Have To Press It A Couple Times Or Real Hard For It To Work?

latimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Home Button doesn't work

I have the same problem. It's unresponsive and sometimes when I push it once, my speed dial comes up (I have that set for double press). I did a full system restore so I don't think it's software releated. I think I'm going to take it to the Apple store because this isn't working like it used to and my wifes doesn't act this way.

I have the same problem...maybe if enough people will report it they will have a recall for those that don't work -

astaroth2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Faulty home buttons are also being reported in Italy. Corriere della Sera newspaper has just posted an article regarding a few customers returning their iphone 3G because of this. Really hope it's an isolated issue or a temporary software responsiveness issue.

jacob523

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
same problem

i have an ipod touch and the home button doesnt work AT ALL.
to get to the home screen i have to hold the top button then slide the slider to turn off the ipod then press the top button to turn it on

brian.kirby

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I have had the same problem and have taken it into the genius bar and all they had to say was that it was a software problem. I dont know what to do any suggestions?

matthew858

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My iPhone has had an issue with the home button since day 1. The button will only work if it is pressed hard at the bottom of the button. Should I go to the Apple Store and get it fixed?

radiotowers

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Virginia
I've noticed this with my new iPhone 3G. Comparing to my first gen iPhone, I have to push much more deliberately to get it to register. I'm not sure if I just need to retrain myself or if it's an actual hardware/software problem with the new phone. Time will tell, I guess.

julric01

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Same here...

I noticed the difference right away with my 3g compared to my original. The more I use it the more I get used to it, it's just different.

One thing I have noticed is that when it's plugged in and charging, it's even harder to get it to respond. I really am starting to think it's a software issue and it doesn't respond depending on what you're doing, same thing with certain aps.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Mine works, but I think the areas you need to press are spotty.

Only clicking directly on the middle on the little white square, or under it, works.

If I click on the left, top, or right side of the home button, even with a satisfying click, nothing happens.

If I put my fingernail directly on the top line of the square, and click, nothing happens. Pushing the other sides of the square works.

This makes the button not respond half the time when say I hold with my right hand and try to click it with my thumb, as reaching for it is usually at the top of the button, where it doesn't work.

Is it suppose to be this spotty? I mean I can understand the direct sides of the button, but even a hair off above the center doesn't work? Before reading this thread, my first weeks use of this phone made me worry about if this home button was going to have problems in the future.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Just now when I was finished with an app, and the iphone on a table, hands free, I used my index finger and gave a good press on the home button real fast and nothing happened. I had to hit again.

Duujo

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Melbourne
I'm having the exact same problem as all of you - I also was a big double tap home button guy for music, but am wondering if usage has sent my home button to an early grave?

Problem for me though is, I live in Australia and bought my iPhone 2G via eBay, so no support for me! (I think? Australian Apple stores wouldn't support a first gen iPhone that never got sold over here, now that they sell the iPhone 3G, would they??)

Oh well, it's been worth the ride. Just disappointing that after 9 months the home button ***** itself. But at least it gives me the excuse upgrade? But who's going to want to buy a dud iPhone 2G..!!

Think as a last resort I'll try and open it up and 'fix it' :)

bshell

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2005
Vancouver, CANADA
Same problem

Got my first gen iPhone in Sept 2007 and have started having home button problems in the last month. I have to press twice frequently to get any result. Since this button is used a lot if anyone figures out a fix, please let me know. Thanks. I could try taking it to the Apple Store here in Vancouver, but I bought it directly from Apple online in the USA so not sure if they would fix it.

LovejoyPE9

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
UK
Same problem since version 2.0 update

Have had all sorts of problems since updating to version 2.0 with software including syncing addresses which was only resolved using vcards after a system restore.

Suggest easy way around this problem to set "home" as Home Button. I got stuck in phone favorites

TheMadKro

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Mine just started acting up. The Home button will wake the phone but it will not switch screens. This tells me it is a software problem. This needs to be fixed soon!!

Apple, anyone listening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.