Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
Hi, I used Pwnage Tool 2.0 to unlock and jailbreak my iPhone 2G and because I forgot to disable the pineapple boot logo, I re-applied the pwned firmware again without any bootneutering. The first time however, I did a full pwnage of the phone and successfully neutered the bootloader and unlocked the phone. My question is, is my phone still unlocked? Is there a way I can check that without a foreign SIM card? Thanks.

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
No no no, I'm using the original iPhone here, not the 3G. It successfully unlocked the first time (on 2.0 already), I just need to make sure the unlock survived my pwned restore.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Try a different SIM card?

Pretty simple method!

However if it successfully neutered the bootloader and flashed the baseband then it will remain as only an update to 2.0.1 would relock it (when it is available if it ever is!)...

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
iTunes does not flash the baseband if you already have the newest version, so it should still be unlocked, but you will have to try it to be sure

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
I just did a restore and d/k if it unlocked, is there any way to check other that inserting another SIM Card which I don't have?

mnky465

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
???

can anyone out there tell me how i can find out if my iphone is unlocked i have no idea how to tell i have looked everywere and noone can seem to help me or they just dont want to but if anyone can help me please reply.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
You guys have two very simple and effective methods on proving if your phone is unlocked or not

first (easy option)

1)if you have any family or friends that use a different carrier than yours and have SIM cards in their phones, just kindly ask to borrow it for a sec. and pop it in and see if you are able to make a call.

If that is not an option...

2)(takes a bit more effort but more effective) walk into a Popular (franchise) Mobile Carrier Store other than yours, simply ask the retailer that you signed up for a plan over the phone with them "the other day" and you are using this iphone with your plan "given to you as a gift from a friend". just say I want to be sure that this phone works with your SIM, before I get my SIM in the mail...Or to sound less conspicuous.... you can simply say you are shopping around for a phone plan, you do have a phone (your iPhone) but before you look into their phone plans, first you want to make sure if your iPhone works with their SIMS.

he/she should give you zero hassle and let you pop in one of their cards to test it, voila!!!

(if it's not unlocked, just say "thanks" and walk away...don't let him/her sucker you in to buying a new phone :p hehe!
and if it is unlocked again...don't let him/her suck you in to buying a plan, just listen and nod and say "ok, thanks" and off you go)

mikelangelo11

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
if it unlocked it will work with all carriers you should try using a sim from another carrier, if it works it`s unlocked.

hel22

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
Hi, I bought an "unlocked "iphone from ebay and now Im putting in my sim and it doesnt stop "searching".
Does that mean the phone is locked?? (is there any other sure way of knowing besides putting in my sim?)
I emailed the guy and he even told me how it was unlocked (ultrasnow)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Is there ever a reply in this forum?

Well to be fair, you did post in a very old thread. Based on the description you gave, probably your phone is locked. Did you restore it after you got it? That would get rid of an ultrasn0w unlock. What model of iPhone do you have? It might still be possible to unlock it.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Is there ever a reply in this forum?

Did you try turning off 3G? In some cases, for example using AT&T iPhone with T-Mobile, I think you will need to turn off 3G since the frequencies aren't supported.
I think it gives an invalid sim error if it is locked with the wrong sim card, but I really don't know.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Hi, I bought an "unlocked "iphone from ebay and now Im putting in my sim and it doesnt stop "searching".
Does that mean the phone is locked?? (is there any other sure way of knowing besides putting in my sim?)
I emailed the guy and he even told me how it was unlocked (ultrasnow)

Are you sure that your carrier supports 2G GSM frequencies? I recently bought an unlocked 2G for nostalgic purposes and learned the hard way that my carrier does not function on 2G GSM. It said "Searching" forever and then I eventually got "No Service".

Alternatively, if you restored, you will lose the ultrasn0w unlock and will need to repeat it.

denasa234

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Here's a site with free checking, NEVERLOK whether or not your phone, and also provides lots of useful information about the phone _iunlocker.net/check_imei.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.