Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
OK so I am a bit confused here. Upon trying to boot in Leopard my Mac Pro will get the the gray loading screen with the "loading circle" and just sit there forever. Than after a bit it will just stop and the whole computer can shut itself down.

I just installed the 8800gt upgrade kit last week, and have had no problems at all for the past week.

The only thing that changed that may be related is the 8800GT XP Driver. I installed the latest beta driver for it under XP in boot camp because it wasn't working properly with the default boot camp drivers.

So I can correctly boot in the XP via boot camp, but trying to boot in Leopard it just hangs at the gray loading screen. Can anyone help me out here please. XP is fine for the occassional game, but I don't want to be stuck here forvever!

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Oh boy.

Just tried booting into both safe mode and booting from the leopard install disc and the original Mac Pro system install discs. Trying to boot into safe mode did nothing, hangs again and the shuts down and restarts.

Trying to boot from the two discs produced the dark grey box that says my machine encountered and error and needs to be hard restarted. Nothing!

I was hoping to boot into the disk utility but I can't even do that. Everything was running fine before this morning before I rebooted into XP. Gahh this stinks.

DoubleDutyG4

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Suggestion

Before you get too deep into trying to fix the problem, I would see if you can boot up in Firewire mode and save any important files/folders to another computer. Just a suggestion as my roommate had a similar problem before the hard drive crashed during repair.

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
I'm beginning to suspect that it may be the hard drive, because my boot camp volume is a totally different hard drive and boots fine.

Its weird tho, I have had hard drives give out on me on some windows machines and I was able to tell when they were on their way out (weird noises, eratic behavior etc). But this drive showed no sign of that. I've had the Mac Pro since may and havent even put that much stress on it.

I'm going to keep working at it, but is there any sure fire way for me to tell if the HD has crashed? hows up for me to boot from when I hold alt at boot.

"Edit"

Oh god, just booted into XP and the 8800GT is running like a Vacuum cleaner. This can't be good.

downhillski1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
NY
Try to put in in a different mac internally or in an enclosure. Then boot to OSX from the drive in the mac you are using for testing. Plug in the drive you think is dead and see if it mounts. You can now also get into disk utility since you are running OSX on a mac that you know is working.

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hehe, I know!

Well I just started the Mac Pro in Target Disk mode and plugged it into my old 12 inch powerbook, My Air won't cut it here :( .

WHen I have it in target disk mode the Volume with my OS X install does not even show up. I have 2 internal disks, one for OS X and then another that is partitioned as a part time machine and part boot camp volume. The only volumes showing up in Target Disk Mode are the Time Machine and Boot Camp Volumes. The OS X Volume is nowhere to be found.

Is it most likely that this thing is fried? I'm going to try and reseat it, but im sure that wont do much.

Truz21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Mr. Hammond I think we're back in business!

So I managed to see the OS X volume under disk utility while it was attached to my powerbook. I ran both verify and repair disk, then rebooted and Im back in my Mac Pro and everything seems to be working fine. I'm kind of tip toeing around because Im still scared of the worst, but I've got Time Machine backups if things go haywire.

I'm going to copy and paste the verify and repair logs, just in case you guys can see anything in the tests that would have caused my problem, or even something that I should be aware of. The first part is when I just ran Verify disk. And the second part is when I ran Verify and Repair.

Verify Disk

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Missing thread record (id = 6092631)
Incorrect number of thread records
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 849596 instead of 849601)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Invalid leaf record count
(It should be 9114 instead of 9123)
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 20859670 instead of 22290255)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Repair Disk

Verify and Repair disk “Macintosh HD”
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid leaf record count
(It should be 9114 instead of 9123)
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
(It should be 849601 instead of 838072)
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 193524 instead of 192092)
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 20859670 instead of 22290255)
Volume Header needs minor repair
Repairing volume.
Rechecking volume.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
(It should be 849601 instead of 849596)
Repairing volume.
Rechecking volume.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking volume bitmap.
The volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully.

1 HFS volume checked
Repair attempted on 1 volume
1 HFS volume repaired

rmbradburn

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Me, too! Plz help.

I've got pretty much the same scenario, minus a spare Mac to diagnose with.

Macbook Pro w/ boot camp installed. It was working perfectly until suddenly this evening when I tried to go back to the Mac side from XP and all I got was the circle with a line through it on the gray screen. I can still boot to XP just fine, but have been unable to boot to Mac.

Seeing that Truz21 got the problem remedied gives me hope, but I don't have another Mac to run the Verify/Repair operation. Is there another was to do this or any other methods folks have tried that may work?

Thanks for any help,

--R

OddThomas

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
Grapevine, TX
1. remove all plugged in usb or firewire devices, iPod, HDs etc
2. boot from the OSX DVD (hold down C key from hard boot with DVD in drive)
3. Use disk utilities from the menu choice when it boots.

You can check your drive with the DVD utils and hopefully remedy the situation. It does not make sense that Truz could not boot from the DVD.. not sure what the deal was there.

rmbradburn

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Great...thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to trying it. Only problem is: I'm several hours away from home for the summer, and that's where my OSX DVD is. I'll be back there in a couple of weeks and can grab it then, but is there any chance for a remedy now? Any place to download the DVD stuff and burn it myself (assuming I can burn it from the XP side of the 'puter). I realize this may be pushing a bit far, but never hurts to ask, right?

Thanks!
--R

rmbradburn

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Fixed

As it turns out, further research showed there was a Mac repair shop in town. As I was still under warranty, I took it in. Turned out to be a bad hard drive. Most data was recovered and the hard drive was replaced.

Thanks for the advice!

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
glad it's fixed, but just so you know, it probably WASN'T a physically failed drive. I've had 2 discs "fail" under leopard. Apple replaced them with a new disc because they "failed" and I asked to keep the "failed" drive the second time. I took it home and formatted it using Windows (boot camp, no less) and stuck it in an external enclosure. I ran some hard drive surface test in "extensive" mode for something like 8 hours and it came back with zero bad sectors.

I am betting that the first drive was the same way. Leopard seems to have issues keeping the Catalog Tree stable. Disk Warrior couldn't repair that second disc because the catalog tree was too heavily damaged, or so it said. I've looked around online and seen lots of similar posts. My disc utility (from the DVD) gave results much like what the OP posted here. That we was able to repair his from another machine makes me think that I would have been able to do the same thing. I suspect Apple's inclusion of ACLs in leopard. I was noticing strange permissions (custom) all over the place before my drives "failed."

I've been using that "faulty" drive to run a local web service for a couple months without the slightest hiccup, so I'm pretty sure it was a software failure, not physical. I don't even need to ask, I'm quite sure both of you were running Leopard when your drives "failed" right? These issues were almost non-existent with Tiger...and those instances may have actually been hardware failure. Leopard ≤ Tiger in a lot of ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.