Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
What can I do to solve this, I know it sounds stupid but it seems really complicated. As soon as I got it it worked but doesnt anymore, and isnt on silent

jarvijarv

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
SoCal
iPhone 3G

Couple of things to check: 1) in Settings, in Sounds, check volume meter (blue bar) is not all the way to the left; 2) check your Ringtone-make sure it's a sound you will recognize; 3) are your fingers anywhere near the outside Mute tab or external volume control-they can be quite easy to accidently switch off or tapped to where the volume is at its lowest...hopefully one of these should do the trick! ;)

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Couple of things to check: 1) in Settings, in Sounds, check volume meter (blue bar) is not all the way to the left; 2) check your Ringtone-make sure it's a sound you will recognize; 3) are your fingers anywhere near the outside Mute tab or external volume control-they can be quite easy to accidently switch off or tapped to where the volume is at its lowest...hopefully one of these should do the trick! ;)

i had no idea there was an outside mute tab!!:eek:

pablo472

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
I have the same problem,
Purchased mine in :apple: Princesshay, Exeter yesterday.

Having looked at the discussions on the :apple: Website we're amongst others with exactly the same problem.

I hope they sort this soon as it's really frustrating! :mad:

pablo472

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Having re-read this, my issue relates to SMS messages coming through.
Sometimes it chimes, but more often than not - not!:confused:

still976

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Having re-read this, my issue relates to SMS messages coming through.
Sometimes it chimes, but more often than not - not!:confused:

yeah me too... have checked all the settings etc...

i have my SMS set to "Electronic" and have NEVER heard it make a noise apart from when i test the sound in the menu...

i also have noticed that my screen goes blank when writing texts and nothing happens unless i press the sleep button a couple of times!!

good old iphone eh?! :D

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
I went through the same problem....I discovered that I accidently switched the button on the top left of the phone.....it shuts the ringer off. Make sure that you have it in the on position. Hope that helps.

svenito

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I've had the same silent SMS issue and it's not related to the mute switch. I googled the issue and it's something that's happening to more than just a few people... so hopefully Apple will address it in an update.

I simply turned my iPhone off and back on again and the sounds came back. Although I'm not sure if it's still working now. Annoying though that you have to do that. It might have something to do with a combination of plugging in headphones and using the iPod, or perhaps not - I haven't managed to find anything that might cause it :(

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
check the silence tab on the side, i often catch it on my jeans pocket:confused:

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
When I got my first iPhone a year ago, I had the same problem and I couldn't figure out what the heck to do. I then asked my friend, and he promptly went to the switch above the volume buttons.

Boy I felt like an idiot. :)

la fauvette

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
When I got my first iPhone a year ago, I had the same problem and I couldn't figure out what the heck to do. I then asked my friend, and he promptly went to the switch above the volume buttons.

Boy I felt like an idiot. :)

I must be your brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:eek:

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
This isn't just down to the mute switch being in the wrong position. I had this issue with 2.0 on my 3G. for a while. This often happened if I had muted the phone overnight using the external switch, then flicked it back on in the morning. Would be receiving calls later in the day and would only know about because the phone was also set to vibrate. When you went into the sounds pref, the volume slider would be all the way down of it's own accord.

Issue was resolved in 2.1 for me. Bloody annoying while it lasted though. :rolleyes:

mf305o

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
Yep! That's it!

Thanks everyone. Guess I didn't realize that mute button was there. You guys gave me the answer I needed, so in future I'll ensure that button is in the correct position when I'm expecting a call...

Good info!

mcarter22

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2010
Had this problem too!

What u should do is look on the left side of ur phone and make sure u havent activated the must switch on ur phone. If you do see a tiny red dot, just move the switch the opposite direction. Hope this helps and good luck with ur job search :)!!!!!

Husband4

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Thanks...

My Otter Box hid the switch and i forgot about that switch. I thought it was an Apple iOS issue.... dumb me.

I went through the same problem....I discovered that I accidently switched the button on the top left of the phone.....it shuts the ringer off. Make sure that you have it in the on position. Hope that helps.

simokdOh

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
no ringtones

lol.. i never thought there is mute button...:mad::mad::mad::mad:
my iphone now works perfectly fine!! thanks dude

:D:D:):)

rajeshDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
iPhone 3 - no ringing, just vibration

Hey Guys,
I HAD to create a user name for this site, just to give thanks for the very helpful and informative solution to my iPhone 3 "problem".
It was NOT ringing, just vibrating. I tried everything possible, and my last option was resetting via itunes, possibly losing my media/contacts, etc?? :(
I was getting frustrated and was thinking(also) to go to a repair iPhone shop today:mad:, but I googled my problem, and thank goodness the matter was resolved!:D Above the left side volume button, there is a tiny button that flips, like an ON and OFF position. Mine was "off", as soon as I slid it the opposite way, my ringtones /audio / clicking touch sound was restored!!! I am SOOOOO happy & I thank you all for the information.:)

Thanks again, esp to the individual who first suggested the solution to this problem.

Raj :apple:

----------

thanks for your advice. i appreciate it!! :D:D:D:):):):):apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.