Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Surely this 'liquorice Dalek' is just a carefully hidden clue hinting at the identity of the next 'classic' villain to make a return to our screens?

sweet.jpg

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Surely this 'liquorice Dalek' is just a carefully hidden clue hinting at the identity of the next 'classic' villain to make a return to our screens?

Thank you for putting the word "classic" in quotes. :p ;)

Intoxicated might be a bit closer to the truth. ;)

Yeah, I like that better - I much prefer the idea of Daleks being drinking buddies instead of death machines. :D

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Wow, impressive, that's great! I wonder if interest will die off in 2009 though with there only being 4 specials... :eek: ;)

I think they hope it's just the opposite, not being on will build up the excitement for the return of the show. That's one advantage of being a BBC production, I can't imagine a US network allowing there biggest hit show to take a year off
(Apart from HBO who did something similar with the Sopranos)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think they hope it's just the opposite, not being on will build up the excitement for the return of the show. That's one advantage of being a BBC production, I can't imagine a US network allowing there biggest hit show to take a year off
(Apart from HBO who did something similar with the Sopranos)

Sci-Fi has come close in the past with their large gaps between BSG seasons/half-seaons... :rolleyes: ;) But yes, it could deifnitely result in pent-up interest and anticipation for the next proper series in 2010. I know I'll definitely be in that camp - I can't wait to see the direction that Moffat takes the series. :cool:

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
But yes, it could deifnitely result in pent-up interest and anticipation for the next proper series in 2010. I know I'll definitely be in that camp - I can't wait to see the direction that Moffat takes the series. :cool:

I will be, too.
As will my family, friends, etc.

I think it was a good decision to end the end of series 4 with a dilemma rather than a cliff-hanger (Will the Doctor ever see these people again? Will he get a new companion? Etc.), but also an even better decision to have the Cybermen in the Christmas episode. If it had been those stupid Santa things again, I wouldn't be that interested. Sure, they were ok, but not the best. So cybermen is good. It'll be interested to see how they work around the whole "got sucked into the void" thing, as well as the parallel universes. Will it be that the parallel universe was actually slightly ahead of our universe, and it was a foreshadow of what was coming to our world? (ear-piece things that turn people into cybermen)

Should be good. I'm already speculating, and this is the Christmas episode! (The most disappointing episodes of the year :p ok, well, the spinny christmas tree in series 2 was great ;) but the rest were quite dud...)

Please note, the whited bits above aren't really that spoiling, but I thought it was a nice surprise at the end of the episode, so I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I am enjoying episode two of Doctor Who. Yep, #2, as in the second. The "An Unearthly Child" series, and wow, umm, quite different, yet bloody addictive! :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I am enjoying episode two of Doctor Who. Yep, #2, as in the second. The "An Unearthly Child" series, and wow, umm, quite different, yet bloody addictive! :D

Good for you! I started watching the series from scratch awhile ago myself and have enjoyed it as well. I have every single Who episode ever made in my collection (about 225 GB worth) and thought I might as well start making use of them. ;)

Some of the lost episodes are a bit arduous to "watch" through, looking at still and listening to the audio tracks (the only other part to survive the BBC purge) but still fun nonetheless.

Right now I'm into the Tom Baker years, the finest in the series in my opinion. :cool: Hopefully my collection will keep me going through the upcoming 2009 "dry spell". ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
You mean the BBC lost some of the original? :eek:

Oh yes, many of the First and Second Doctor's adventures were destroyed by the BBC during a purge of their film vaults a long time ago. Copies have surfaced over the years of some of the episodes (most recently The Daleks' Master Plan Episode 2 and The Crusade Episode 1 from what I've heard), others only exist in parts, and all that remains for many of them are the audio tracks and production stills. Some groups have reconstructed the episodes as best as possible using the audio and stills, and these are what I have copies of in an attempt to keep my collection as close to truly complete as possible. :cool:

You can read more about the lost Who episodes here.

Edit: And here is a list of the missing episodes themselves.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Wow, that is depressing! :eek:

I didn't realize that was done, I mean knowing that something would NEVER be recovered if you erase it, wouldn't that like be motivation to keep it? :confused:

I guess they didn't know about the future of DVD box sets. :p

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I didn't realize that was done, I mean knowing that something would NEVER be recovered if you erase it, wouldn't that like be motivation to keep it? :confused:
Back then, the philosophy was that as it had already been shown it wasn't going to be shown again, so you may as well clear a bit of shelf space by getting rid of those dusty old tapes. Quite a few other shows have suffered in a similar fashion, for example I know there's a similar group trying to track down and restore lost episodes of Dads Army.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Back then, the philosophy was that as it had already been shown it wasn't going to be shown again, so you may as well clear a bit of shelf space by getting rid of those dusty old tapes. Quite a few other shows have suffered in a similar fashion, for example I know there's a similar group trying to track down and restore lost episodes of Dads Army.

Yeah, bit of a diffferent take on things now I guess. ;) You'd still think they'd want to keep the episodes, but on the other hand, the show was a serial back then, aired with the intention of never being re-aired, and I suppose it would be the equivalent of keeping every single episode of Coronation Street ever made. :D Not sure if they've done this btw or not, but is there really a need to keep all 7,293 of them? :p ;) (And yes, I just pulled that number out of the air...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.