Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Hello. i have been reading a lot about the issues people are having with 2.0 and I know people have discussed this on the boards. but to make this quick, i just received a refurb'd 16 gb ipod touch that came with the software upgrades and is currently running 1.1.4.

I am really tempted to download the update and go with 2.0, but i don't want to if it is going to screw my ipod up. WEhat are the specific problems you have heard about. I read about a lot of seperate ones but i am not sure if those are just individual case due to using "free" 2.0 updates etc. I am going to pay for it and do it "by the book", so will i have problems. i want the apps like monkeyball, band, etc. should i wait for them to update to 2.0.1 or whatever? is everyone having problems. i know it can drain the battery faster etc. becuase after the update it will look for push emails, etc. but can i disable functions like that? I am just torn about going with 2.0 and have never really had many problems with apple in the past and just don't understand how they could put out such an important update without it being ready. i heard people that are downloading the update now (not when it first came out) aren't having as many problems. is that true. Thanks!!!

fliptastic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
how bad is 2.0

how bad is 2.0. will everything crash. i mainly use it for movies, music, and i walso will use certain apps like games, etc. any idea when 2.1 is coming? Thanks!

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
how bad is 2.0. will everything crash. i mainly use it for movies, music, and i walso will use certain apps like games, etc. any idea when 2.1 is coming? Thanks!

If you really have to have the App Store, get 2.0 jailbreak it. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I would wait until 2.1.

I haven't had any problems except my iPod restarting itself once while I was using AIM. Edit: Nobody knows when 2.1 will come.

fliptastic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
jailbreak

this is the dumbest question of the day i'm sure. i completely understand why you would jailbreak an iphone. but why an ipod? i guess i'm not completely up to date on what it really means for the touch.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
this is the dumbest question of the day i'm sure. i completely understand why you would jailbreak an iphone. but why an ipod? i guess i'm not completely up to date on what it really means for the touch.

Most of the people who jailbreak to get access to app store probably would torrent the 2.x upgrade anyways.

Anyways, my iPod has no major issues.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
My iPod Touch has crashed plenty of apps and restarted several times but I still think its worth it for everything it adds.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I have had no problems with the 2.0 update for the iPod touch. I found that most of the funtions of the iPod have been improved and the App Store has been a really great addition. BTW it is always a bad idea to jailbreak your iPod touch because it voids the waranty and if it ever breaks you can't get fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.