Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Make your iPod Brushed Metal?

• Yes

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 86 46.0%
  • Maybe in the future

Votes: 82 43.9%

• Total voters

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Who is going to take the green side of a sponge to the back of their iPod? You can make a nice brushed metal effect that doesn't show scratches or fingerprints.

Example on regular iPod:
ipod_brushed.jpg

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
i did this to my 5G. except i had it against the wall, so that when i stroked the scotch brite over the back, the lines stayed striaght.. the picture you posted shows lines going crooked. ewww.

tm1000

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Who is going to take the green side of a sponge to the back of their iPod? You can make a nice brushed metal effect that doesn't show scratches or fingerprints.

Example on regular iPod:
ipod_brushed.jpg

even with the crooked lines I think it looks nifty

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
maybe it'll be a good side project to do once the scratches start showing up.. but for now... you gotta love the smooth virgin sweetness.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I did this with my nano, but I'm still undecided wether to do it to my touch. Its scratched on the back already (only have had it for 3 days) so I probably will do it eventually.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007

Example on regular iPod:
ipod_brushed.jpg

Wow... that looks great. How'd you do it exactly?

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
this doesnt void the warrenty in any way right? like if you drop you ipod and it stops working and you need to send it in to get fixed?

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
I love this place but some of you ought to get a life. This is the most ridiculous poll I have ever seen. :rolleyes:

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
the mirror!!!!

The mirror for the morning on your way to work is the best part about the iPod though! I always miss that I cannot use my Nano (2G) as a mirror. :p

I have a 1gen nano and what I have always loved about it is the mirror! Now I have a bigger one! I love this iPod!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I too use my ipod as a mirror. After I eat I check my teeth. If I don't have my iPod on me or if I want to be more subtle I use a silver card case that carries my business cards. Either way people laugh their asses off at me but frankly it'd be more embarrassing to have **** in my teeth. (and yes I carry dental floss with me too) I'm a teeth girl!

But on post...I wouldn't do that to my iPod even though I do have scratches on my (damn agent 18 case).

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I might do it in the future, when it is already covered in prints and scratched up. Looks really cool!

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
does anyone have high quality photos of a brushed metal ipod touch? I'm debating whether to brush metal my ipod or to order an invisible shield or a body guardz

nintoreo

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
I did it with My Ipod touch! My back was like brand new, No scratches at all!:eek:
But I tried it and my results were great. I think I might even prefer this backing instead of that mirror chrome backing.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 573

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Steel wool would make it look even cleaner ;) buy it at any hardware store, it will come with different types of grades FINE to Course, course will give you less line so go somewhere in between, works way better than a sponge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.