Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
How do I set it up?

I just started a gmail account and can't seem to get it to work. I've added the account on my phone but is there anything else I need to do? It says it cannot connect to server "imap.gmail.com" failed.

I need help, thanks.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i followed the directions and they work perfectly. try inputting them again

but... gmail doesnt support push email? i have set on fetch every 15min. ill probably change it to 30 to save more battery

yahoo supports push though.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
imap is enabled on any version after 1.1 for the iphone. those steps don't work because when you click on other or gmail it just says "Name, Address, Password and Description". It doesn't show the ports and such.

Anybody else have this problem when hooking up gmail?

Enter your name, address, password and description then tap "Save" in the top right. The next screen will allow you to set the incoming and outgoing servers. You won't have to set the ports. When you enter your username on that screen, be sure to include "@gmail.com".

I set up Gmail this way and it worked just fine. Let us know if you have anymore problem.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

maybe it's something simple like you put in your name or pass wrong? Fwiw I have my gmail account using IMAP in mail.app on my mac and iTunes added/synced it with no issues

Edit: oops, I was late. Just ignore

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Gmail is working on my 3G. I did notice it's not push it's set to fetch and push is not an option. Make sure you entered the correct user name and password

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I followed the instructions, and incoming email comes to my iPhone perfectly, but when I try reply to an email, I get an "connection to smtp.gmail.com failed" error. Any thoughts?

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
I followed the instructions, and incoming email comes to my iPhone perfectly, but when I try reply to an email, I get an "connection to smtp.gmail.com failed" error. Any thoughts?

try deleting and re adding the account

ssajous

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
gmail is not worth it using the native mail app

How do I set it up?

I just started a gmail account and can't seem to get it to work. I've added the account on my phone but is there anything else I need to do? It says it cannot connect to server "imap.gmail.com" failed.

I need help, thanks.

I had to uninstall it a million times, it would take forever to sync. I ended up putting a gmail bookmark on the desktop.

sUGArDawg

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Just make sure you enable imap in your gmail BEFORE setting up an account on your iphone

boo-yee

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Setting Fetch

i followed the directions and they work perfectly. try inputting them again

but... gmail doesnt support push email? i have set on fetch every 15min. ill probably change it to 30 to save more battery

yahoo supports push though.

How do you set the fetch on iPhone? My google mail on iPhone doesn't automatically show new e-mails. I have to press mail then it loads new ones.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I've deleted and re-installed the Gmail account on my iPhone a few times. Still get a connection error when trying to send mail. I've had IMAP enabled on my Gmail settings for two months now.

I ended up just using the default Gmail option for adding an account. Can send mail with this method. Not even quite sure how this method versuses the "Other" method differ.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
If you want free push through gmail or any other mail you can set up a free account with mail2web and have your existing account forward all mail there then it will push to your phone. Works good for me.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I get a lot of junk mail and need to fix up my Gmail account...I don't like how it can load a minimum of 25 messages - I only want to see new ones.

Also, push isn't that useful for me. My e-mails aren't that important - hah

ryanmiller98

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
IMAP gmail not working on iphone 3G

Hello,

I have enabled IMAP in gmails settings and have included @gmail.com with username but am still unable to retrieve messages from gmail. I receive the "Can not connect using SSL" error message. I have tried several times adding an account according to gmail's instructions on their setup page as well as the video, but still not luck. It sounds like others have experienced this - can anyone share the resolution?

Thank you,

Ryan
Chico/Paradise, CA

onelovelindsey

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
iPhone gmail

I have been trying to send out emails (reply), but when I click reply using the mail part of the iPhone, the keyboard never comes up, so I cannot reply because I have no way of typing. I have configured everything the right way because I am receiving notifications about new emails and stuff. Can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.