Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a way to stream music from http://www.pandora.com to my AppleTV? Ultimately, I want to be able to enjoy Pandora on my home theater system, which my Apple TV is attached to. Thanks in advance.

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
Couchsurfer would require you to hack the Apple TV. What I do is stream from my Macbook to the ATV. I use a program called Airfoil. It streams any audio you have on your mac to Airtunes. It's available for Windows also but I have no experience with that. Great program. I do believe you can demo it, with limitations of course.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Couchsurfer would require you to hack the Apple TV. What I do is stream from my Macbook to the ATV. I use a program called Airfoil. It streams any audio you have on your mac to Airtunes. It's available for Windows also but I have no experience with that. Great program. I do believe you can demo it, with limitations of course.

Thanks, seems to be working wonderfully (I bought the program). The only negative I see, is that my TV has to be turned on. This probably isn't a negative to the Airfoil program, rather, the result of using HDMI cables to connect AppleTV to my receiver (I understand with HDMI there has to be a monitor turned on for the Audio/Video signal to go through). Anyhow, not the end of the world, I can just show a slideshow of my 8 week old daughter on the monitor. Thanks again.

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
Thanks, seems to be working wonderfully (I bought the program). The only negative I see, is that my TV has to be turned on. This probably isn't a negative to the Airfoil program, rather, the result of using HDMI cables to connect AppleTV to my receiver (I understand with HDMI there has to be a monitor turned on for the Audio/Video signal to go through). Anyhow, not the end of the world, I can just show a slideshow of my 8 week old daughter on the monitor. Thanks again.

Have you tried turning off the TV? My receiver is component only and my TV is HDMI. Is it only the HDMI monitor out to the TV and the ATV into the receiver?

If that's true, that's a big downer for such spendy equipment. I was just using pandora last night over the ATV with guests over and the TV off. I'd hate to be locked into that. But at least you have a nice slideshow. Enjoy!

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Have you tried turning off the TV? My receiver is component only and my TV is HDMI. Is it only the HDMI monitor out to the TV and the ATV into the receiver?

If that's true, that's a big downer for such spendy equipment. I was just using pandora last night over the ATV with guests over and the TV off. I'd hate to be locked into that. But at least you have a nice slideshow. Enjoy!

I am running HDMI from ATV to my receiver, and then HDMI from receiver to my TV...I guess I could use component from ATV to my receiver, and that would allow me to turn off my TV (I suspect!?!?). But not sure if I would lose much quality in audio or video... thoughts?

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
I am running HDMI from ATV to my receiver, and then HDMI from receiver to my TV...I guess I could use component from ATV to my receiver, and that would allow me to turn off my TV (I suspect!?!?). But not sure if I would lose much quality in audio or video... thoughts?

I really don't think the quality would suffer. I still have my HD DVD over the Xbox 360 and it looks fantastic. Of course one cable is a thing of beauty. So if you HDMI out can convert the AV and the TV could then be turned off, it's worth a try. Especially if you have those cables lying around.

Also, did you attempt to listen to audio with the TV off yet? Your statement before said "From what you heard the TV needs to be on." I was just dying to know the answer to that. It will help with my buying decision when I upgrade from my Sony receiver.

blackfx35

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I really don't think the quality would suffer. I still have my HD DVD over the Xbox 360 and it looks fantastic. Of course one cable is a thing of beauty. So if you HDMI out can convert the AV and the TV could then be turned off, it's worth a try. Especially if you have those cables lying around.

Also, did you attempt to listen to audio with the TV off yet? Your statement before said "From what you heard the TV needs to be on." I was just dying to know the answer to that. It will help with my buying decision when I upgrade from my Sony receiver.

I did try with my tv turned off....it "freaked out" my appleTV, which went into a set up mode...I had to select "test", "restart" or "restore factory settings". I selected restart, and everything was fine. I am assuming this was a result of the appleTV not being able to send a signal with the TV turned off. Seems a bit strange to me, but that is what happened...

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
I did try with my tv turned off....it "freaked out" my appleTV, which went into a set up mode...I had to select "test", "restart" or "restore factory settings". I selected restart, and everything was fine. I am assuming this was a result of the appleTV not being able to send a signal with the TV turned off. Seems a bit strange to me, but that is what happened...

Yikes! That is strange. Something I will look at when I go all HDMI. Thanks for the info.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I use HDMI into DVI for my TV for the video and I use the optical audio into my receiver. I turn off my TV regularly after picking a playlist and aTV handles it fine. I've never heard such a problem and somebody must have tried an HDMI only connection for the video. I wonder what went wrong.

bwade913

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008

I have a hacked ATV w/ Couchsurfer but haven't had any luck getting Flash installed and so I can't run Pandora directly.

Instead I'm using Airfoil to stream Pandora to the ATVs (2) and use a Remote Deskstop app named RemoteTap to control the Mac Mini source from an iPhone. It all works very well.

mrousey

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
Pandora on AppleTV

Pandora is now available on Boxee. You can install aTV-usbcreator on your AppleTV to get Boxee and some other great stuff. I works great on Boxee.

kadeschs

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
You can do it with CouchSurfer or Firefox on ATV as well. You just have to manually install the Flash Player plugins yourself and get them working. Takes some working knowledge of OSX commands. Boxee is an easier route and you gain a lot more from that software as well.

smatt16

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
Audio for appleTV

I use the optical audio output to go from applteTV to receiver and then HDMI to go from AppleTV to TV and this solves the whole leaving the tv on problem. I dont see any problems with audio and video not syncing either when I do have the tv on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.